BYU - Florida State thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sizzle
    #ThisIsY
    • Nov 2008
    • 9004

    #151
    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I think the season will prove Oklahoma doesn't suck. There were some dynamics of the game playing to BYU's favor, but I also think that BYU matches up better with Oklahoma. OU's young OL could not dominate BYU. If BYU gets dominated at the point of attack, they are dead in the water. The lines are BYU's biggest competitive advantage and the positions where they have their best players. Having to rely on LBs or a defensive secondary to bail them out is not going to produce good results for BYU very frequently. However, OU could play FSU much better than BYU. Not just because OU has such a stout DL, but the Sooners have the sort of athletes behind the DL that are capable of bailing it out. I think that TCU is a damn fast team - almost as fast as FSU, but I think their OL will not be able to control the LOS against BYU and that will go a long way to helping BYU mitigate the Horned Frog speed.
    Also, FSU matches up very favorably against BYU's best offensive weapons. Being able to line a linebacker up over Pitta that can stay with him speed wise and be just as physical really limits that advantage. We were able to complete some passes to George, but not so much to Pitta. Also, like Goat said, FSU's line wasn't surprised or intimidated by BYUs. They were every bit as big, and every bit, if not more physical. Add to the fact that BYU's defense spent a good portion of the first half on the field, and you saw the result.

    FSU is a very talented team. They were prepared, and they were ready. Hopefully BYU learns that they now have a bulls-eye on their back and doesn't lay another stinker. They still have tough games against TCU and Utah on their schedule. If you would have told me going into the year that BYU could finish 11-1, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. So it isn't like hope is lost.

    Comment

    • Sizzle
      #ThisIsY
      • Nov 2008
      • 9004

      #152
      Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      Exactly my thoughts. Granted I was in a pissy mood vs. every home game last year ... but I found myself thinking I'd be enjoying the game a lot more at home.
      And it is true, the games are much more tolerable when BYU wins. In games like this one though where BYU gets dominated, it just adds insult to injury.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #153
        Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
        If you would have told me going into the year that BYU could finish 11-1, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. So it isn't like hope is lost.
        Exactly. This team will still win 10 games IMO. That's a damn good season. To be 2-1 at this point is pretty awesome. I think all of here would have taken that before the season.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • FMCoug
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 6825

          #154
          Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
          I really would love to be rich enough to purchase a press-box and have tickets there. I would really really love going to games that way.

          I pledge to buy a CUF box if I ever win the PowerBall!
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

          Comment

          • cougjunkie
            *Banned*
            • Nov 2008
            • 23223

            #155
            My opinion on the game:

            I put zero responsibility on Hall and the offense. In fact I thought Hall was havinga stellar game. The pick to George (I have not seen any replays) was allegedly PI, the other pick JJ should have caught, and the last one you really cant blame him for trying to make a play that late with the game already over.

            I have never in my life seen BYUs D-line get manhandled like that. The D-line and linebackers were atrocious. Even when they did get in a positioin to make a play they were missing tackles (Shawn Doman and Tevita Hola I am looking at you).

            Its unbelievable to see a hole completely stuff and because the O-line was getting such good push the running back would still end up with 4 yards. Or because we got zero penetration the running back would just sit back and bounce it outside.

            The Chambers fumble was a pretty big turning point as I felt like we could hang in there in a track meet. Our offense was on point, and Mckay Jacobsen proved just how fast he is tonight, seperating from a 4.3 corner in Patrick Robinson (twice).

            I havent looked at the stats but I am guessing FSU started at least 15-15 on 3rd downs which is ridiculous.

            I think we still win 10-11 games, but I worry about CSU as they have 120 starts between their O-line and they return everybody similar to FSU.
            *Banned*

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69752

              #156
              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              My opinion on the game:

              I put zero responsibility on Hall and the offense. In fact I thought Hall was havinga stellar game. The pick to George (I have not seen any replays) was allegedly PI, the other pick JJ should have caught, and the last one you really cant blame him for trying to make a play that late with the game already over.

              I have never in my life seen BYUs D-line get manhandled like that. The D-line and linebackers were atrocious. Even when they did get in a positioin to make a play they were missing tackles (Shawn Doman and Tevita Hola I am looking at you).

              Its unbelievable to see a hole completely stuff and because the O-line was getting such good push the running back would still end up with 4 yards. Or because we got zero penetration the running back would just sit back and bounce it outside.

              The Chambers fumble was a pretty big turning point as I felt like we could hang in there in a track meet. Our offense was on point, and Mckay Jacobsen proved just how fast he is tonight, seperating from a 4.3 corner in Patrick Robinson (twice).

              I havent looked at the stats but I am guessing FSU started at least 15-15 on 3rd downs which is ridiculous.

              I think we still win 10-11 games, but I worry about CSU as they have 120 starts between their O-line and they return everybody similar to FSU.
              The paper said that they were 12 out of 15 for the game. But it seemed like it late third quarter or early in the fourth before we put them in fourth down.

              That was unbelievable. You shouldn't lose like that at home to anybody.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #157
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                What was up with all of "The Quest" shirts? On TV I saw a ton of them. WTF? Also, is "I AM BYU" a new slogan or something? Lots of those in the crowd. I don't care for that one.
                I noticed a bunch of "I AM BYU" shirts, as well. My guess is that they are trying to get something going, which I like. The execution is odd. I have seen those shirts at SC and at Notre Dame. The SC ones say, "I AM A TROJAN" on the front and "WE ARE SC" on the back. The ND ones say, 'I AM IRISH" and "WE ARE ND." Also, both schools have a "WE ARE!..........SC!" or "WE ARE.........ND!" chant. SC's main message board is wearesc.com.

                I would think BYU's shirts should say "I AM A COUGAR" and "WE ARE BYU." However, given that Cougar now means something else, maybe that is why they went with "I AM BYU." Frankly, "I AM BYU" doesn't make much sense, but like I said, they are at least trying to get something going.

                PS I guess we can add Florida State to the list of teams that were troubled by the altitude.....
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Fiyero
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5266

                  #158
                  Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  I am guessing FSU started at least 15-15 on 3rd downs which is ridiculous.
                  They started 11/11 and scored TDs on 6 of their first 7 drives, the other being a field goal. The announcer on Versus pointed that out when they had their first punt late in the third.

                  FWIW FSU leaped from 27 to 2 in the new Sagarin, Miami is 1.

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #159
                    Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                    They started 11/11 and scored TDs on 6 of their first 7 drives, the other being a field goal. The announcer on Versus pointed that out when they had their first punt late in the third.

                    FWIW FSU leaped from 27 to 2 in the new Sagarin, Miami is 1.
                    I'm still hanging on to the little thread of hope that Miami and FSU are just both really good this year.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • Coach McGuirk
                      1
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12109

                      #160
                      am I a wuss for not being able to turn on game day final last night?

                      As far as I AM BYU shirts. It looked to be sponsored by one or more of the housing complexes.

                      Comment

                      • Fiyero
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5266

                        #161
                        Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                        am I a wuss for not being able to turn on game day final last night?
                        Allow me to recap. They had a segment that read "Today's impact on Utah, BYU, and the BCS" flashing across the screen. Mark May said the MWC's case for an auto-bid took a serious blow, and both will tank in the polls because MWC teams have little respect to begin with.

                        Then said Houston should be this year's team to look at.

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #162
                          Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          My opinion on the game:

                          I put zero responsibility on Hall and the offense. In fact I thought Hall was havinga stellar game. The pick to George (I have not seen any replays) was allegedly PI,
                          I mostly agree with one exception. On the play that resulted in Hall's first interception, the safeties were spread wide and Pitta had one on one coverage. The audible was stupid because the middle was going to be completely open for Pitta who would have beat his defender with a simple post. On the audible Hall stopped and moved Pitta several feet closer to the interior line. When he did that I immedietely thought that instead of a route up the middle that Pitta was going to run a quick out. The defender figured it out too, jumped the route, and it was a pick six. Whether or not there was DPI the audible was obvious and stupid.

                          The middle of the field was open for most of the game. Why on earth we didn't exploit that to a much larger degree is beyond me.

                          Comment

                          • cougjunkie
                            *Banned*
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 23223

                            #163
                            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            I mostly agree with one exception. On the play that resulted in Hall's first interception, the safeties were spread wide and Pitta had one on one coverage. The audible was stupid because the middle was going to be completely open for Pitta who would have beat his defender with a simple post. On the audible Hall stopped and moved Pitta several feet closer to the interior line. When he did that I immedietely thought that instead of a route up the middle that Pitta was going to run a quick out. The defender figured it out too, jumped the route, and it was a pick six. Whether or not there was DPI the audible was obvious and stupid.

                            The middle of the field was open for most of the game. Why on earth we didn't exploit that to a much larger degree is beyond me.
                            Do you mean Pitta or George? That first pick he was throwing to George.
                            *Banned*

                            Comment

                            • Shaka
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 10450

                              #164
                              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              Do you mean Pitta or George? That first pick he was throwing to George.
                              Sorry, I may have mixed them up. I really want to see the replay if only to see the alleged interference. Unfortunately I didn't set my dvr.

                              Thanks Junkie. I just cut and pasted my comments in a similar thread on CB only with the correct receiver.
                              Last edited by Shaka; 09-20-2009, 08:59 AM.

                              Comment

                              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                                Time to camp
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26082

                                #165
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

                                I would think BYU's shirts should say "I AM A COUGAR" and "WE ARE BYU." However, given that Cougar now means something else, maybe that is why they went with "I AM BYU." Frankly, "I AM BYU" doesn't make much sense, but like I said, they are at least trying to get something going.
                                BYU misses out on building the fan base and new revenue streams. "I AM A COUGAR" shirts would sell world wide.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

                                Comment

                                Working...