Official BYU Fall Camp Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cougjunkie
    *Banned*
    • Nov 2008
    • 23223

    #91
    8/20- practice report:

    1. O-line looked terrible needs some work.

    2. Pray that the injuries to Brandon Bradley, Robbie Buckner, and now Brian Logan are not serious. Corby Eason and Garrett Nicholson are awful, Lee Aguirre actually looked pretty solid.

    3. Matt Bauman made the play of his life on a ball fired over the middle to Pitta, Bauman was only about 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, he jumped up and the speed of the pass actually knocked him on his back but he held on.

    4. Craig Bills hit Malosi Teo so hard during situational drills that he popped his helmet off.

    5. Jan Jorgensen is unblockable, especially if you are Braden Hansen.

    6. Terrence Brown is fat.

    7. At one point Max completed balls to 6 different receivers in a row during the intrasquad scrimmage.

    8. Brett Thompson looks like a tightend, Mitch Matthews looks like James Anderson.

    9. Harvey Unga does nothing during practice.

    10. Payne sucks. Stephenson also sucks at field goals but had some of the best punts I have seen, in fact a guy in front of me had a stop watch, he was booming them close to 60 yards everytime with hang times of at least 4.5 seconds.
    *Banned*

    Comment

    • Hot Lunch
      Out of Office
      • Nov 2008
      • 7842

      #92
      So it sounds like Rich went down at the end of practice today. That isn't good at all. That is the last thing BYU's secondary can afford.

      http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=7625039
      "Take it to the Bank"

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #93
        Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
        So it sounds like Rich went down at the end of practice today. That isn't good at all. That is the last thing BYU's secondary can afford.

        http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=7625039
        Ugh. WTF? What is going on with all these injuries?
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • KillerDog
          a.k.a. K-dog
          • Feb 2009
          • 4196

          #94
          An injury to Rich could be hugely negative.

          On a positive note, WR screens with shifty WRs are very effective and we seem to have the guys to make them work this year. I expect OC and MJ to get lots of positive yards on WR screens this year.

          Comment

          • KillerDog
            a.k.a. K-dog
            • Feb 2009
            • 4196

            #95
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Ugh. WTF? What is going on with all these injuries?
            Every team, every year. Football is a rough sport and people get injured.

            Comment

            • Hot Lunch
              Out of Office
              • Nov 2008
              • 7842

              #96
              Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
              Every team, every year. Football is a rough sport and people get injured.
              This is true. It is part of the game.

              BYU has had 3 of their 4 projected starters hurt this fall camp in the secondary that was awful last year and doesn't have a lot of depth this year. Not good.
              "Take it to the Bank"

              Comment

              • smokymountainrain
                Impressive Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22593

                #97
                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                3. Matt Bauman made the play of his life on a ball fired over the middle to Pitta, Bauman was only about 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, he jumped up and the speed of the pass actually knocked him on his back but he held on.

                Mitch Matthews looks like James Anderson.
                #3. Good for Bauman on a nice catch, but it makes me wonder if a better pass would have hit a wide open Pitta that Bauman was supposed to be covering.

                #8. As much as I like James Anderson, this can't be a good thing, can it?
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

                Comment

                • Shaka
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 10449

                  #98
                  I know it's probably been discussed to death and is counterintuitive but sometimes I really wonder if the lack of contact in camp ends up leading to more injuries.

                  While injuries happen it just seems like BYU has more than its share in fall camps.

                  Comment

                  • Hot Lunch
                    Out of Office
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7842

                    #99
                    Quick update on safety Andrew Rich.

                    The junior just walked out to the practice field and had a quick bite to eat, about an hour after practice had ended.

                    He gave the thumbs-up sign when asked if he was OK.

                    He said the main reason he was taken off the field toward the end of practice was that he had an upset stomach and was nauseous.

                    He said he took some anti-inflammatory medicine for a groin pull on an empty stomach before practice and it made him queasy.

                    He said he plans on being at practice tonight (5 p.m.)
                    Sorry to scare everyone. Looks like it isn't to serious.

                    Utah’s independent news source since 1871, The Salt Lake Tribune covers news, entertainment, sports and faith for Salt Lake City and the state of Utah.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #100
                      Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                      I know it's probably been discussed to death and is counterintuitive but sometimes I really wonder if the lack of contact in camp ends up leading to more injuries.

                      While injuries happen it just seems like BYU has more than its share in fall camps.
                      They've upped the contact this fall camp and that's one of the reasons why they've had more injuries.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • cougjunkie
                        *Banned*
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 23223

                        #101
                        Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        #3. Good for Bauman on a nice catch, but it makes me wonder if a better pass would have hit a wide open Pitta that Bauman was supposed to be covering.

                        #8. As much as I like James Anderson, this can't be a good thing, can it?
                        It was actually a nice throw from Max but when you have a tight end as big as Pitta and a MLB as small as Bauman he should be able to throw it over him relatively easy.

                        Also Matthews is about 6'7 (easily the tallest player on the field) and weighs about a buck seventy-five.
                        *Banned*

                        Comment

                        • Katy Lied
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 9435

                          #102
                          Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          Payne sucks. Stephenson also sucks at field goals but had some of the best punts I have seen, in fact a guy in front of me had a stop watch, he was booming them close to 60 yards everytime with hang times of at least 4.5 seconds.

                          Yeesh, I see I'm going to have Ute Kicker envy for another 2 years. Where the heck did they find Vroman?

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #103
                            Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            Yeesh, I see I'm going to have Ute Kicker envy for another 2 years. Where the heck did they find Vroman?
                            Vroman was a 2nd team all-state kicker at Skyline.
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • Jarid in Cedar
                              CS Institutional Memory
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 13234

                              #104
                              Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              Yeesh, I see I'm going to have Ute Kicker envy for another 2 years. Where the heck did they find Vroman?
                              He was living in Sakoda's shadow.
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                              -Rick Majerus

                              Comment

                              • JohnnyLingo
                                La Naranja
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 3976

                                #105
                                Is it really this hard to find someone who can consistently kick a 42-yard field goal? I don't expect to find a Sakoda, but come on, BYU. Go to the soccer team and do some recruiting.

                                Comment

                                Working...