Official BYU Fall Camp Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12366

    #76
    Interesting in Wrubell's depth chart, Zeke Mendenhall was listed as 4th string as a strong safety.

    I remember watching him at Snow a number of years ago before his mission and I was impressed. They called him "Zeke the Freak" cause he had a motor that never stopped. I could see him competing for time next year with Bills going on a mission.

    Comment

    • Goatnapper'96
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10924

      #77
      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      Ogletree may have had a lot of fan hype, but he either was a walk-on or was the very last person to get a scholarship and wasn't highly regarded by recruiting services.

      That said, if a guy can be all-state in Texas, he must have superior mental attributes to offset the deficit in the classic measureables.
      Sounds similar to Shay Muirbrook. At the pro level Shay's lack of tangibles finally caught up to him, but he made it fine through college despite not having the measurables. Time will tell if Ogletree can do likewise.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

      I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

      Comment

      • Goatnapper'96
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10924

        #78
        Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
        Bronco coaching the Nose Guards is making a huge difference. Completely different players than they were a year ago.
        I think this is the best explanation for why Bronson Kaufusi's commitment is soft.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

        Comment

        • ERCougar
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10978

          #79
          Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          I think this is the best explanation for why Bronson Kaufusi's commitment is soft.
          I'm confused...Bronco's scaring him away?
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

          Comment

          • BoylenOver
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 9146

            #80
            Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            I think this is the best explanation for why Bronson Kaufusi's commitment is soft.
            I thought Kaufusi's commitment was a stone-cold lock?
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #81
              Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
              Sounds similar to Shay Muirbrook. At the pro level Shay's lack of tangibles finally caught up to him, but he made it fine through college despite not having the measurables. Time will tell if Ogletree can do likewise.

              I think the kid who may turn out to be the most like Shay is someone most BYU fans hardly know: Spencer Hadley. He is currently somewhere in the world having doors slammed in his face. I watched him play a couple times in HS he came from a very small school and thus was lightly recruited. In HS was a man among boys. Last year he played on special teams and forced a couple of fumbles and saw quite of bit of time in back up duty as a true freshman. I'm not sure but I seem to recall reading he was also a 4.0 student in HS. His dad was recruited to play at Michigan but joined the church, got married and moved out west without ever playing college ball.

              To my knowledge he doesn't have the armband tattoo that Shay use to sport though.

              Comment

              • Goatnapper'96
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10924

                #82
                Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

                I think the kid who may turn out to be the most like Shay is someone most BYU fans hardly know: Spencer Hadley. He is currently somewhere in the world having doors slammed in his face. I watched him play a couple times in HS he came from a very small school and thus was lightly recruited. In HS was a man among boys. Last year he played on special teams and forced a couple of fumbles and saw quite of bit of time in back up duty as a true freshman. I'm not sure but I seem to recall reading he was also a 4.0 student in HS. His dad was recruited to play at Michigan but joined the church, got married and moved out west without ever playing college ball.

                To my knowledge he doesn't have the armband tattoo that Shay use to sport though.
                I drove through the farming community from whence he came. What is the story of that town? I understand there is a sizeable LDS population, anyone know why? It is south of Spokane towards the tri-cities area. I am really excited about Spencer. I also think that his cousin, Austin Jorgenson, is also going to be a player. Two serious small town kids done good!
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

                Comment

                • Goatnapper'96
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10924

                  #83
                  Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  I'm confused...Bronco's scaring him away?
                  How frequently does a head coach become a position coach? As I read between the lines I wonder how pleased Coach Mendenhall is in Coach Kaufusi. If Coach Kaufusi is not at BYU, I doubt Bronson matriculates to the school of the faith of his fathers.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

                  I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

                  Comment

                  • SCcoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7625

                    #84
                    Jason Speredon is out for the season with a torn rotator cuff. Marco Thorson will take his place or Jesse Taufi if he makes it to camp.

                    Comment

                    • Sizzle
                      #ThisIsY
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9004

                      #85
                      Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                      Jason Speredon is out for the season with a torn rotator cuff. Marco Thorson will take his place or Jesse Taufi if he makes it to camp.

                      http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/2009/08/...th-rotator.htm
                      Bummer. So much for a healthy camp. With Reynolds also hurt that really sucks.

                      Comment

                      • Hot Lunch
                        Out of Office
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7842

                        #86
                        Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                        Bummer. So much for a healthy camp. With Reynolds also hurt that really sucks.
                        This is not good at all. Now there is a walk-on redshirt freshman starting at LG. There is zero depth on the o line.
                        "Take it to the Bank"

                        Comment

                        • DrumNFeather
                          Invisible Swordsman
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8854

                          #87
                          Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                          This is not good at all. Now there is a walk-on redshirt freshman starting at LG. There is zero depth on the o line.
                          How big of a loss is Spearden?
                          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                          Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                          Comment

                          • Hot Lunch
                            Out of Office
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7842

                            #88
                            Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                            How big of a loss is Spearden?
                            The more I think about it the more I don't believe it is a huge loss, but it does hurt. Right now the penciled in starter is a walk-on redshirt freshman. I do believe though that when Matt Reynolds comes back, they will slide Braden Hansen down to LG. Which won't be as bad. Also, if Jesse Taufi get his grades in order than he will probably be plugged in there and they will be o.k. The thing is that there is zero depth on the o line. If anyone else goes down BYU is in real trouble.
                            Last edited by Hot Lunch; 08-15-2009, 06:51 PM.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

                            Comment

                            • Goatnapper'96
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10924

                              #89
                              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              The more I think about it the more I don't believe it is a huge loss, but it does hurt. Right now the penciled in starter is a walk-on redshirt freshman. I do believe though that when Matt Reynolds comes back, they will slide Braden Hansen down to LG. Which won't be as bad. Also, if Jesse Taufi get his grades in order than he will probably be plugged in there and they will be o.k. The thing is that there is zero depth on the o line. If anyone else goes down BYU is in real trouble.
                              I agree. Taufi will slide into his position and when the dust settles your principle back ups will be Houston Reynolds, Braden Hansen and probably Ryan Freeman at center. I also think the big Poly from Euless, Fono Vakalahi or something like that, is likely the 4th guy off the bench. Of course that assumes Taufi qualifies and Houston gets healthy!
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

                              I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

                              Comment

                              • Art Vandelay
                                Striving for mediocrity
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 10516

                                #90
                                Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                I drove through the farming community from whence he came. What is the story of that town? I understand there is a sizeable LDS population, anyone know why? It is south of Spokane towards the tri-cities area. I am really excited about Spencer. I also think that his cousin, Austin Jorgenson, is also going to be a player. Two serious small town kids done good!
                                I just drove through Connell WA (where Spencer is from) this weekend. The Columbia Basin which includes the Tri-Cities north the Moses Lake has a very large mormon population. To my knowledge this is from 2 factors:

                                1) Prior to irrigation, land was very inexpensive and several LDS families migrated from Idaho to try their hand at farming in the 40's and 50's

                                2) The Hanford nuclear reservation has been "cleaning up" for the past 50 years with no end in site. They employ a large number of engineers and scientist many of which are BYU grads.

                                The Tri-Cities is approximately 15% LDS, has 4 soon to be 5 stakes and a temple. In other words there is a reason Seattle Ute stays on the wet side of the state.

                                Connell,I think is 30-40% LDS primarily due to fruits of the original homesteader's loins. I think the HS has about 500 students. Yet in the last 2 years they have produced 4 kids who are on scholarship at BYU or Utah which is a huge statistical anomaly.

                                * Spencer Hadley- BYU football
                                * Corianne Wood- BYU basketball
                                * Rebecca Lee (I don't know her married name) BYU track
                                * Sidney Knight - Utah basketball
                                Last edited by Art Vandelay; 08-17-2009, 03:01 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...