If I could combine BYU and Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #31
    Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
    If you are confirming it, then absolutely.
    If I confirm it, will you leave? Ok. Confirmed!
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

    Comment

    • SeattleUte
      Faith crisis consultant
      • Nov 2008
      • 20837

      #32
      Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
      Here are the records as head coach:

      Whit - 37-14 (4-0 in bowls)

      Mendenhall - 38-13 (2-2 in bowls)

      Whittingham is a better bowl coach and Mendenhall has the better overall record.

      Yes, I'd rather have Whittingham as the coach of my team, but the fact that you are incapable of objectivity speaks volumes of your sports IQ. There is nothing worse than homerism.
      This is one of the most unintelligent posts I've ever seen here. If you catch 100 rainbows with their fins worn off in a put and take fishery using Velveeta cheese for lure, and I catch one giant wild steelhead in Oregon on a dry fly, who has accomplished more? Stop being so sychophantic. This is not a close question. Moreover, you forgot the Fiesta Bowl. Whit was head coach in that game. So he's 5-0 in bowls and has 38 wins.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

      --Jonathan Swift

      Comment

      • il Padrino Ute
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 19161

        #33
        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        This is one of the most unintelligent posts I've ever seen here. If you catch 100 rainbows with their fins worn off in a put and take fishery using Velveeta cheese for lure, and I catch one giant wild steelhead in Oregon on a dry fly, who has accomplished more? Stop being so sychophantic. This is not a close question. Moreover, you forgot the Fiesta Bowl. Whit was head coach in that game. So he's 5-0 in bowls and has 38 wins.
        Your inability to be objective is hilarious.

        I'll concede that I missed the '05 Fiesta Bowl to give KW 38 wins, but you can't dispute anything else in my post as far as the records of both coaches is concerned.

        Also, what part of "I'd rather have Whittingham as coach of my team" do you not understand?

        If you really want to challenge me to some sort of fl fishing contest, I will kick your ass.
        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #34
          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
          Here are the records as head coach:

          Whit - 37-14 (4-0 in bowls)

          Mendenhall - 38-13 (2-2 in bowls)

          Whittingham is a better bowl coach and Mendenhall has the better overall record.

          Yes, I'd rather have Whittingham as the coach of my team, but the fact that you are incapable of objectivity speaks volumes of your sports IQ. There is nothing worse than homerism.
          Also, explain to me how you accounted for scheduling and the hand that each coach was originally dealt.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #35
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            Your inability to be objective is hilarious.

            I'll concede that I missed the '05 Fiesta Bowl to give KW 38 wins, but you can't dispute anything else in my post as far as the records of both coaches is concerned.

            Also, what part of "I'd rather have Whitingham as coach of my team" do you not understand?
            Your conclusion that Bronco is a better regular season is "objective" based on the data set you have? No, it's just near baseless.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #36
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Also, explain to me how you accounted for scheduling and the hand that each coach was originally dealt.
              Show me where you accounted for scheduling and the hand that each coach was originally dealt, then we can talk about that.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #37
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                Your conclusion that Bronco is a better regular season is "objective" based on the data set you have? No, it's just near baseless.
                Is my conclusion that Mendenhall was a better regular season coach? Or did I just post their records and you came to the conclusion that I said Mendenhall was a better regular season coach?

                You really need to read what is posted and not use conjecture in what you believe is said. When I post something, I only infer exactly what is posted, word for word.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #38
                  Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  Show me where you accounted for scheduling and the hand that each coach was originally dealt, then we can talk about that.
                  I am not making such a baseless assertion as "Bronco is a better regular season coach." My conclusion that Whit is a superior coach (without qualification such as "regular season") is simply: 1) his 13-0 record and SUGAR BOWL win; and to a much lesser extent 2) his superior record in big games including bowl wins, 3) Whit's superior defenses (I think defense has been the heart and soul of Utah the last five years as it is with any great program (see Florida) and 4) the trajectory of his program; I believe he had further to come given the personnel losses after 2004. But last season really removes this debate from the realm in which reasonable people could disagree. You, on the other hand, are looking at just "regular season" numbers.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • Flattop
                    Many books, little time
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 1452

                    #39
                    Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                    If I confirm it, will you leave? Ok. Confirmed!
                    On the one hand, sure. I don't get this site. I haven't been personally abusive to anyone. I got introuble for posting something about BYU that didn't show the marketing department in a positive light. Then I got in trouble for posting things that make Utah look good. And now, of course, I had the temerity to disagree with Boylen Over's post about which players and coaches from which team I would prefer. Based on my experience here so far, this site is a total joke.

                    On the other hand, I might just decide to stick around and challenge the prevailing sentiment that Utah fans must subordinate themselves to everything BYU. It is the members that make a site great or not (with grateful acknowledgement to the creators and manager who work so hard putting everything together). I'd rather stick around and do my part to make this site better instead of complaining how awful the place is and noisely exit.

                    Is this a Cougar and Ute site or just a Cougar site that tolerates Ute fans if they toe a certain line?
                    Last edited by Flattop; 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM.
                    Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                    Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                    Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #40
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      I am not making such a baseless assertion as "Bronco is a better regular season coach." My conclusion that Whit is a superior coach (without qualification such as "regular season") is simply: 1) his 13-0 record and SUGAR BOWL win; and to a much lesser extent 2) his superior record in big games including bowl wins, 3) Whit's superior defenses (I think defense has been the heart and soul of Utah the last five years as it is with any great program (see Florida) and 4) the trajectory of his program; I believe he had further to come given the personnel losses after 2004. But last season really removes this debate from the realm in which reasonable people could disagree. You, on the other hand, are looking at just "regular season" numbers.
                      Go read my post again and if you actually read it, you will see that you are 100% wrong about what I was saying.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37988

                        #41
                        Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
                        On the one hand, sure. I don't get this site. I haven't been personally abusive to anyone. I got introuble for posting something about BYU that didn't show the marketing department in a positive light. Then I got in trouble for posting things that make Utah look good. And now, of course, I had the temerity to disagree with Boylen Over's post about which players and coaches from which team I would prefer. Based on my experience here so far, this site is a total joke.

                        On the other hand, I might just decide to stick around and challenge the prevailing sentiment that Utah fans must subordinate themselves to everything BYU. It is the members that make a site great or not (with grateful acknowledgement to the creators and manager who work so hard putting everything together). I'd rather stick around and do my part to make this site better instead of complaining how awful the place is and noisely exit.

                        Is this a Cougar and Ute site or just a Cougar site that tolerates Ute fans if they toe a certain line?
                        You're okay USS Utah. Stick around some more.















                        But don't forget to subject yourself to us BYU fans. Thanks.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Hot Lunch
                          Out of Office
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7842

                          #42
                          Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
                          .

                          And Hall getting replaced mid-season by Wynn was pushing it too. But, hell, why not when so many think Wynn should be the starter this fall on the hill? Who would you rather have, Hall or the second coming of Alex Smith?
                          I have a hard time believing that Wynn is the second coming of Alex Smith. Alex was amazing at the college level. Those types of QB's are few and far between at this level especially at Utah and BYU. It really isn't pushing it. It is talking out of your ass. Ask anyone that has a small bit of football knowledge and they will take a senior that has a very impressive resume over a true freshman any day. Doesn't matter the upside the kid has.
                          "Take it to the Bank"

                          Comment

                          • Hot Lunch
                            Out of Office
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7842

                            #43
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            Also, explain to me how you accounted for scheduling and the hand that each coach was originally dealt.
                            Not sure if you want to talk about who's dealt hand was worse. Bronco followed Crowton who ruined the program and recruited horribly. Whit followed , and it really pains me to say this, the best thing that could have happened to the Utah program. Yes St. Urban didn't recruit very well while in Salt Lake but the momentum and the change of attitude in the program and the fan base can't be downplayed.

                            Not sure where you are going with the scheduling. I think both programs have played a schedule that pretty much equals one another.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

                            Comment

                            • Flattop
                              Many books, little time
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 1452

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              I have a hard time believing that Wynn is the second coming of Alex Smith. Alex was amazing at the college level. Those types of QB's are few and far between at this level especially at Utah and BYU. It really isn't pushing it. It is talking out of your ass. Ask anyone that has a small bit of football knowledge and they will take a senior that has a very impressive resume over a true freshman any day. Doesn't matter the upside the kid has.
                              I don't know how good Wynn is going to be, but there are a lot of Ute fans who are raving on him. Personally, I would lean towards Louks because of his experience -- though in a limited role. Actually, I can see that the three, including Cain, have their pros and cons, but I trust Kyle to pick the right guy. But some people get upset at that suggestion.

                              Maybe I was ribbing some people, on both sides, with the Hall losing out to Wynn line.

                              Hall would be a no brainer with two years of experience, but that might not be the only consideration, or Urban would have picked Lance Rice over Brett Elliot and Alex Smith. Of course, Hall has been much more impressive than Rice ever was. At the same time, however, there are some concerns about Hall against tougher opponents like TCU and Utah.
                              Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                              Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                              Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                              Comment

                              • FMCoug
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 6825

                                #45
                                LOL. We have it twice now.

                                Andy Ludwig vs. Robert Anae
                                Lance Rice vs. Max Hal. LOL!

                                Did Rice ever play ONE game like Hall's average game?
                                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                                Comment

                                Working...