Razing Arizona: Sitake's Team Takes the Field

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #616
    That was a great trip. Hang out with kids, brother, nephews and their friends. Play golf even if I shot 101 at Coyote Springs. We had 19 seats on rows 20-22 on the 50 yard line right in the middle of the Arizona section. Arizona fans were great. Even the guy who was giving the double middle finger salute during BYU's school song wasn't that bad.

    The analysis of the game on here has been good so I won't diminish the quality of thoughts by adding my own.

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25268

      #617
      Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Also Kody Wilstead another 4 star kid.
      PVHS pipeline!
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #618
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post

        Leg strength correlates with speed. I safely assume he's not just doing squats.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • Clark Addison
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10310

          #619
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Given the plays that were called, etc. I am not yet convinced that Taysom is slower. Going to wait another game or two to make a judgment on that one.
          I think that's fair. I think I said during the game something like "Taysom looks slower than last year". That thought should probably be qualified in two ways, to become something closer to "Taysom, when running the plays called today, looks slower than he does in my memory". My memory thinks that Ty Detmer completed 80% of his passes, so it isn't exactly infallible.

          While I am far from convinced that Taysom has 100% of his old speed, it is definitely possible.

          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          of course that's the plan. things don't always go according to plan.
          Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27882

            #620
            Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Leg strength correlates with speed. I safely assume he's not just doing squats.
            Well, there's a lot more factors that go into it than that. Putting on muscle mass, especially upper body, will slow you down since it's just added weight. Plus, power doesn't equal speed. I lifted as a high school track athlete but my lifting program was very different than that done by the football players.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • San Juan Sun
              Kicked to the curb
              • Dec 2009
              • 9214

              #621
              We argue about silly things. Doesn't matter if Taysom is a step slower (personally I think the rehab time from a Lisfranc injury naturally means you lose a step, but whatever). Taysom shouldn't be running like he did with GFGH. He needs to be a pocket passer and then occasionally use his speed when it's needed. That way he'll last longer than 4 games into the regular season.
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

              - Ty Cobb

              Comment

              • Goatnapper'96
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10924

                #622
                Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                We argue about silly things. Doesn't matter if Taysom is a step slower (personally I think the rehab time from a Lisfranc injury naturally means you lose a step, but whatever). Taysom shouldn't be running like he did with GFGH. He needs to be a pocket passer and then occasionally use his speed when it's needed. That way he'll last longer than 4 games into the regular season.
                I think it is likely that the effects of 3 season ending injuries are that Taysom is not quite as explosive as he once was. But he is still explosive enough to be effective. In some ways I am reminded a bit of the former Ute OC and QB coach Brian Johnson as a SR in 2008.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

                Comment

                • Blueintheface
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 15382

                  #623
                  Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  I think it is likely that the effects of 3 season ending injuries are that Taysom is not quite as explosive as he once was. But he is still explosive enough to be effective. In some ways I am reminded a bit of the former Ute OC and QB coach Brian Johnson as a SR in 2008.
                  You mean the guy who is or was Utah's all time winningest QB and who couldn't make an Arena League team? That Brian Johnson?

                  Yes, it's that time of the year!!!
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                  "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                  Comment

                  • jay santos
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 13652

                    #624
                    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                    We argue about silly things. Doesn't matter if Taysom is a step slower (personally I think the rehab time from a Lisfranc injury naturally means you lose a step, but whatever). Taysom shouldn't be running like he did with GFGH. He needs to be a pocket passer and then occasionally use his speed when it's needed. That way he'll last longer than 4 games into the regular season.
                    I don't call it arguing. I call it celebrating a huge win and savoring an awesome time to be a BYU fan.

                    Two years ago, Taysom was Luke Staley disguised as a QB. It's OK if he's a step slower. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him running again like he did before. That was pretty darn fun. But this is good, too.

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #625
                      I did notice whenever someone came up to hit Taysom, he gave himself up and went down gingerly. He wanted to make sure nobody rolled up on him. Probably the first he has been hit in a year. He will get it going.
                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      • Shaka
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 10449

                        #626
                        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        I did notice whenever someone came up to hit Taysom, he gave himself up and went down gingerly. He wanted to make sure nobody rolled up on him. Probably the first he has been hit in a year. He will get it going.
                        This is what I meant by tentative. I also noticed that a couple of times, instead of turning it inside and taking on a safety, he elected to go outside.

                        Comment

                        • pelagius
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5288

                          #627
                          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          I don't call it arguing. I call it celebrating a huge win and savoring an awesome time to be a BYU fan.

                          Two years ago, Taysom was Luke Staley disguised as a QB. It's OK if he's a step slower. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him running again like he did before. That was pretty darn fun. But this is good, too.
                          Taysom, yesterday after practice:

                          I'm a little heavier than I was last year ... I think that I don't feel quite as quick but I think throughout the course of the season I'll lean up a little ... we won't be lifting as much so that will help as well.
                          So Taysom does suggest he is a little slower because he's heavier and is squatting too much. Whether you believe such public pronouncements I suppose is a different issue.

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37987

                            #628
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • smokymountainrain
                              Impressive Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22593

                              #629
                              Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                              Taysom, yesterday after practice:



                              So Taysom does suggest he is a little slower because he's heavier and is squatting too much. Whether you believe such public pronouncements I suppose is a different issue.
                              to be clear, he said he's not as quick. didn't say anything about how fast he might be. just saying.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

                              Comment

                              • pelagius
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5288

                                #630
                                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                to be clear, he said he's not as quick. didn't say anything about how fast he might be. just saying.
                                Well sure ... but given his massive over-squatting I doubt he can reach top speed within the confines of a football field.

                                Comment

                                Working...