Razing Arizona: Sitake's Team Takes the Field

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #601
    Originally posted by Commando View Post
    No. I think everyone is in agreement to get him through the program and on his way to the next level. It's really going to be the Tanner Mangum Show for the next two years, but he is going to see meaningful time this year, too. I still think there are going to be plays with Taysom and Tanner on the field at the same time, just not anytime soon. We didn't even really crack the playbook open vs AZ and that's awesome. Here's to hoping Utah doesn't see much of it, either.
    that doesn't make sense. a redshirt doesn't hinder the ability to "get him through the program and on his way to the next level". if he wants to leave early, he still can leave just as early with the redshirt.

    Granted, he said he doesn't want to redshirt, and the plan is to not redshirt so 99% chance he won't RS. But if they go 7 or 8 games into the season and he still hasn't seen any action, it might simply be the best course of action - because it certainly can't hurt - and he may change his mind if he isn't playing anyway. My guess is that he didn't want to redshirt because he wants to play. If he's not playing anyway, that could certainly cause a change of heart.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • Commando
      Explosivo
      • Feb 2009
      • 20748

      #602
      Meaning he's going to get reps this year and get better- not just be a BYU reservist.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #603
        I actually want to go ahead and full confirmation bias style say that yes, they are going to redshirt him so we can have a big run of QB badassery. But Sitake and Ty have been clear on that point, so that's why I said that.

        If DDD were here, he'd quip that Tanner will be the starter by week 3 anyway or something quippy to that effect.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #604
          Originally posted by Commando View Post
          Meaning he's going to get reps this year and get better- not just be a BYU reservist.
          of course that's the plan. things don't always go according to plan.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • old_gregg
            scaly man fish
            • Nov 2009
            • 16915

            #605
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Given the plays that were called, etc. I am not yet convinced that Taysom is slower. Going to wait another game or two to make a judgment on that one.
            yep. its not an accident that people think taysom looks limited.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

            Comment

            • Commando
              Explosivo
              • Feb 2009
              • 20748

              #606
              Speaking of QBs, who do we have coming down the pike? It's about high time we lock down a blue chipper to take the reigns from Mangum.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69705

                #607
                Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                yep. its not an accident that people think taysom looks limited.
                He's a tremendous athlete. Speaks volumes that Rose was not able to turn him into an all-conference small forward or shooting guard. What a horrible coach.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • smokymountainrain
                  Impressive Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22593

                  #608
                  Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Speaking of QBs, who do we have coming down the pike? It's about high time we lock down a blue chipper to take the reigns from Mangum.
                  Jaren Hall. He's back for the 2018 season.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #609
                    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    yep. its not an accident that people think taysom looks limited.
                    Ty probably had a meeting in his office and told him to Calm TF Down vs AZ because they don't want Utah spying the QB all game.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • jay santos
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 13652

                      #610
                      Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      100%. If he's 'easily' squatting 500, he should be able to skip away from anyone. His foot is still a bit tender, though, so he doesn't want to just cut and take off every play, either. He did say in the presser yesterday that he was heavier and that the play calling was very vanilla. He was also beating the DE to the corner and it was a safety w an angle that forced him out on a couple of those runs. It didn't look like he was a slower runner, more that he wasn't taking off full speed- just trying to beat his guy to the flag, which he did.
                      Squatting a lot of weight doesn't correlate to speed. I'm stronger than I was when I was younger, but my vertical jump is 1/3 what it used to be and I'm about twice as slow. Taysom was the fastest guy on the team a few years ago, and a lot of the time, the fastest guy on the field. AZ's defense had some speed, but I just didn't feel like Taysom had that burst available that he used to have. But, it's hard to evaluate that on just a few runs. I guess we'll see.

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #611
                        Taysom quipped to Jamaal that Saturday night was the best he'd ever felt after a game- which is funny because he's obviously saying that to a beaten-up Jamaal. Hopefully he takes a liking to that feeling.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • The_Douger
                          Athletic Supporter
                          • Jun 2012
                          • 5413

                          #612
                          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          looked like BYU played very little nickel, if any. Didn't see Shelton at all. Also, played a ton of 3 down linemen dropping both Langi and especially Fred Warner in coverage, Warner covering the slot most of the time.

                          I think ultimately BYU wants Warner, Bernard, Pau'u and Langi in the game as much as possible. Langi is still more a OLB than a DE. hence the three down linemen and lack of nickel packages. Also, could have been something specific to Arizona and we may see more of four lineman in a 3 point stance and/or more nickel in future games.
                          They mentioned yesterday that Shelton is redshirting.
                          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                          Comment

                          • Moliere
                            One man.....one pie
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 27882

                            #613
                            Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            If he's 'easily' squatting 500, he should be able to skip away from anyone.




                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment

                            • cougjunkie
                              *Banned*
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 23223

                              #614
                              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              Jaren Hall. He's back for the 2018 season.
                              Also Kody Wilstead another 4 star kid.
                              *Banned*

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #615
                                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                Also Kody Wilstead another 4 star kid.
                                ah, yes. forgot about him.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...