No announcement yet.

"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - The Rivalry Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After reading in other threads about how certain Ute fans say BYU was lucky to have won both games (I don't necessarily disagree), I looked again at the box scores of both games. BYU outgained both opponents and led in a majority of the statistical categories, and looking only at the box score, one would probably call each game a toss-up, except that BYU had fewer turnovers and substantially fewer penalties. Not a profound observation, I know, but if BYU can do that again this week, they'll beat UCLA. I'm not optimistic they can do this for the third time in a row.

It's great that the refs are turning a blind eye to BYU's dirty play, outflagging BYU's opponents thus far at a rate of about 3:1. Of all the improvements I've seen thus far, the absence of false starts and similar "stupid" penalties has been the most notable, although there's still room for improvement.

And it's too bad BYU fans tend to be employed and thus are left with little time to assemble video clips of all dirty play by the Utes. My first experience of that was when I was standing on the BYU sideline at Rice Stadium in '76 when a Ute DB ran John Van Der Wouden well out of the field of play and drove him into a small concrete barrier (was there a track around the field then?), separating his shoulder and ending his season. The DB got up with a smile on his face as he ran past me back to the field. Over the years, I've seen lots of cheap shots from the Utes, and pretty much every other team (including BYU) I've watched more than a couple of times. But I enjoy the faux righteousness of those Utes who regard this as unique to BYU.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      After reading in other threads about how certain Ute fans say BYU was lucky to have won both games (I don't necessarily disagree), I looked again at the box scores of both games. BYU outgained both opponents and led in a majority of the statistical categories, and looking only at the box score, one would probably call each game a toss-up, except that BYU had fewer turnovers and substantially fewer penalties. Not a profound observation, I know, but if BYU can do that again this week, they'll beat UCLA. I'm not optimistic they can do this for the third time in a row.

It's great that the refs are turning a blind eye to BYU's dirty play, outflagging BYU's opponents thus far at a rate of about 3:1. Of all the improvements I've seen thus far, the absence of false starts and similar "stupid" penalties has been the most notable, although there's still room for improvement.

And it's too bad BYU fans tend to be employed and thus are left with little time to assemble video clips of all dirty play by the Utes. My first experience of that was when I was standing on the BYU sideline at Rice Stadium in '76 when a Ute DB ran John Van Der Wouden well out of the field of play and drove him into a small concrete barrier (was there a track around the field then?), separating his shoulder and ending his season. The DB got up with a smile on his face as he ran past me back to the field. Over the years, I've seen lots of cheap shots from the Utes, and pretty much every other team (including BYU) I've watched more than a couple of times. But I enjoy the faux righteousness of those Utes who regard this as unique to BYU.
      I worry about the "ALUF's" writing letters to the general authorities whining about the image of the church because of dirty plays.

Comment

After reading in other threads about how certain Ute fans say BYU was lucky to have won both games (I don't necessarily disagree), I looked again at the box scores of both games. BYU outgained both opponents and led in a majority of the statistical categories, and looking only at the box score, one would probably call each game a toss-up, except that BYU had fewer turnovers and substantially fewer penalties. Not a profound observation, I know, but if BYU can do that again this week, they'll beat UCLA. I'm not optimistic they can do this for the third time in a row.

My dad used to talk about what a great receiver John Van der Wouden was. Also, he had beer spilled on him in Rice Stadium at the game in '78.

http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-foot...van-der-wouden
        Last edited by BlueK; 09-18-2015, 08:49 AM.

Comment

haha everyone always thinks PAC is this super nice dude.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Time to write another letter to Chris Hill, warning of dangers to player safety!

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36562463&nid...&s_cid=queue-2

University of Utah

Rice-Eccles' turf failed prematurely, new field a possible safety concern

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I was talking with my uncle yesterday, a long-time Ute fan living in SLC, about the rivalry. Unlike many Ute fans, my uncle is a fan of Utah first rather than a BYU hater first. I shared with him about Chet Albanese and he tells me the guys needs to get a life. Then he proceeds to share with me that after the Michigan game he was leaving the stadium walking near some Michigan fans. They were passing an usher and the usher called out to the Michigan fans, telling them their team played a good game and then asking for a favor. The Michigan fans asked what was the favor and the usher grimaced and said "Beat the hell out of BYU."

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                Well apparently the video clips of BYU playing dirty was just too much for them to contain. I got an ear full yesterday at work. I've been told for many years that BYU fans are self righteous. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Of course once the lid came off, they couldn't stop. BYU was lucky to win both of those games. They were outplayed 55% of each of the games, but won the games on two lucky throws. Hey, maybe they'll get lucky again at UCLA.
                I can't think of a single ute fan where I work. #dreamjob
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Same!
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    Same!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Same!
                      OMG! ME TOO! WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nakoma View Post
                        . . . . Then he proceeds to share with me that after the Michigan game he was leaving the stadium walking near some Michigan fans. They were passing an usher and the usher called out to the Michigan fans, telling them their team played a good game and then asking for a favor. The Michigan fans asked what was the favor and the usher grimaced and said "Beat the hell out of BYU."
                        Imagine what he would have said if Michigan were playing the Buffs this year. Pretty salty, I'd imagine. Woah nelly!
                        I think, perhaps, the only person who hates BYU fans more than ute fans hate BYU fans, is Bronco Mendenhall.
                        -smokymountainrain

Menden Hall Hates Me.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          OMG! ME TOO! WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON!!!
                          Me too!
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

We have one in my department;

Comment

• People are really focused on what BYU making the highlight reel twice in a row on Sports Center means to the Utes? If so, yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                                We have one in my department;
                                My sympathies are extended to you.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X