2012 BYU Football Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #2626
    Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
    FIFY
    You officially know nothing.

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #2627
      I personally have no idea whether Howell will turn out to be really good as a DC or not.

      I am trying to think of Bronco's hires and which ones have turned out to be good to very good. Grimes comes to mind. Maybe it is because of the talent, but I will put Poppinga at least in the good category.

      Who else?

      Comment

      • TexTechCoug
        Carbonite
        • Nov 2010
        • 891

        #2628
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        I personally have no idea whether Howell will turn out to be really good as a DC or not.

        I am trying to think of Bronco's hires and which ones have turned out to be good to very good. Grimes comes to mind. Maybe it is because of the talent, but I will put Poppinga at least in the good category.

        Who else?
        Hill, Doman, Weber.

        Comment

        • Maximus
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 6024

          #2629
          Originally posted by TexTechCoug View Post
          Hill, Doman, Weber.
          he said good.

          Comment

          • Maximus
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 6024

            #2630
            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            https://twitter.com/tomholmoe/status/271702431895793664

            Sounds like Howell is probably our next DC.

            Comment

            • The_Douger
              Athletic Supporter
              • Jun 2012
              • 5413

              #2631
              Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
              You officially know nothing.
              You're right.

              He's been overwhelmingly successful with the recruits that he's brought in. And as his guys have started coming back off missions, the product has gradually degraded to the slop we've watched the last three seasons.

              All while the ones that were here when he became HC and were brought in by Crowton didn't go back to back in the MWC while brooming the place or anything.
              Last edited by The_Douger; 11-22-2012, 11:39 PM.
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

              Comment

              • ERCougar
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10978

                #2632
                Solon and I have discussed that both coaches (KW and Bronco) may have a control issue. Too many unqualified coaches are promoted from within. Even Norm Chow was somewhat of a known quantity to Kyle.

                It gives them control over what's happening, but offers very few new ideas that keep a program innovative and alive. I think Bronco wants a yes-man where he can essentially dictate what happens on defense, but who takes care of the details so he can do some of the head coaching duties he's let go. Maybe not a bad thing in this case, because he's a good DC. But could be really problematic in other places.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69721

                  #2633
                  Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  Solon and I have discussed that both coaches (KW and Bronco) may have a control issue. Too many unqualified coaches are promoted from within. Even Norm Chow was somewhat of a known quantity to Kyle.

                  It gives them control over what's happening, but offers very few new ideas that keep a program innovative and alive. I think Bronco wants a yes-man where he can essentially dictate what happens on defense, but who takes care of the details so he can do some of the head coaching duties he's let go. Maybe not a bad thing in this case, because he's a good DC. But could be really problematic in other places.
                  That makes a lot of sense.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • SCcoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7625

                    #2634
                    I don't see how anyone could question this resume.

                    2005-06 » Head coach, Ben Lomond High
                    2007 » BYU defensive intern
                    2008-09 » BYU defensive graduate assistant
                    2010 » BYU outside linebackers coach
                    2011-present » BYU secondary and special teams coach

                    Comment

                    • Coach McGuirk
                      1
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12109

                      #2635
                      Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                      You're right.

                      He's been overwhelmingly successful with the recruits that he's brought in. And as his guys have started coming back off missions, the product has gradually degraded to the slop we've watched the last three seasons.

                      All while the ones that were here when he became HC and were brought in by Crowton didn't go back to back in the MWC while brooming the place or anything.
                      Thank you.

                      Comment

                      • frank ryan
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12381

                        #2636
                        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        No, I was trying to give a pointer to blitz, the self proclaimed king of smack, a pointer on the art of "subtle smack".
                        lol!

                        Comment

                        • The_Douger
                          Athletic Supporter
                          • Jun 2012
                          • 5413

                          #2637
                          Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                          Thank you.
                          If you say so.
                          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                          Comment

                          • Omaha 680
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • 11182

                            #2638
                            Rivalry week! I hate those Aggies!

                            Where is the gamr thread?

                            Comment

                            • smokymountainrain
                              Impressive Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22593

                              #2639
                              Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                              I don't see how anyone could question this resume.

                              2005-06 » Head coach, Ben Lomond High
                              2007 » BYU defensive intern
                              2008-09 » BYU defensive graduate assistant
                              2010 » BYU outside linebackers coach
                              2011-present » BYU secondary and special teams coach
                              Howell went 4-16 in two years at Ben Lomond, but Bronco loves him and apparently is a tireless worker. Sounds like the coach version of Riley. What could possibly go wrong?
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

                              Comment

                              • Indy Coug
                                Heartless Bastard
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 18747

                                #2640
                                LaVell had a far from stellar record at Granite HS.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

                                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                                Comment

                                Working...