2012 BYU Football Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Eddie
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 8098

    #2551
    Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
    I would too. The guy has had a hard time getting on the field, and I'd be surprised if he was willing to sit out a year.

    I think he transfers elsewhere.
    Unless he transfers to a lower division, BYU is the only school he would be able to play at next year. So if you don't think he wants to sit out a year, it is hard to imagine him transferring.

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #2552
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Nonsense. Indy is right. Lots of people get in fights and don't get booted from school.
      Bronco said something about "visibility" and the expectations being higher.

      I am sure he was talking about vs other schools, but he could have been talking about vs other students.

      Do we know the names of the other involved, whether they are students and if they were disciplined?

      Heck, going clear back to the "incident", do you think those fellows would have been charged with rape if they weren't black and BYU football players?

      I don't know if you or Indy are arguing that things aren't a lot different, but they are. Bronco is always talking about higher standards. I would prefer he call them different standards, but it isn't as big a deal to me as it once was.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37973

        #2553
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Nonsense. Indy is right. Lots of people get in fights and don't get booted from school.
        Exactly. So why would you withdraw voluntarily here if there was no real risk that you were going to get booted? Its one thing if Bronco put that as a condition to re-joining the team at some point, but that wouldn't make sense for Sampson.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • The_Douger
          Athletic Supporter
          • Jun 2012
          • 5413

          #2554
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          I wonder if withdrawing helps or hinders a transfer? I'm pretty sure it doesn't help.
          Well, then you get in trouble with the academics office as well for failing all your classes because you didn't do your finals.

          <rolls out with Dr Kearl>
          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

          Comment

          • ERCougar
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10978

            #2555
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Bronco said something about "visibility" and the expectations being higher.

            I am sure he was talking about vs other schools, but he could have been talking about vs other students.

            Do we know the names of the other involved, whether they are students and if they were disciplined?

            Heck, going clear back to the "incident", do you think those fellows would have been charged with rape if they weren't black and BYU football players?

            I don't know if you or Indy are arguing that things aren't a lot different, but they are. Bronco is always talking about higher standards. I would prefer he call them different standards, but it isn't as big a deal to me as it once was.
            I've got to disagree here. This isn't about getting caught drinking or having sex or whatever. This is about assault, and has nothing to do with religion. I'm embarrassed to be a fan of these punks. I know nothing may happen to your average student for fighting. But getting paid to play football is a privilege and yeah, there should be a higher standard for public behavior. You're not doing these guys any favors by letting these guys continue their sense of entitlement. I know it happens at Florida, but that doesn't make it ok either.

            It isn't ALL about football.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27876

              #2556
              Wait, there's a video of the fight?
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #2557
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Wait, there's a video of the fight?
                Not only a video, but a very nice punch, by sucker punch, breakdown.

                This man punched two women in this fight. One was wearing a blazer, headband and pink shorts and the other was an innocent bystander. There is a special place in hell reserved for trash like this guy. He is pathetic. He is weak. He straight Snookied a lady. He tries to punch Head Band Guy, but his arm happens to be a foot shorter than he thought, plus there was a woman’s head right in the way. Fortunately, he hits her then keeps fighting. This man is trash. He runs in from outside and tries to punch Head Band Guy (actually, he does about 3-4 times). Then he punches the girl. Then he tries to punch a dude that is wrestling his friend. He gets attacked by Punching Bag Guy for a couple seconds off screen, then tries to sucker punch Head Band Guy again. At the end, he walks off victorious. Numerous sucker punch attempts and one solid punch to a girls noggin. Well done. Well done.

                Comment

                • lambdacoug
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 3981

                  #2558
                  Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  After watching the video I am not sure Stout should be charged with assault.
                  lol
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

                  Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                  Comment

                  • byu71
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22070

                    #2559
                    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    I've got to disagree here.
                    Not sure what I said you are disagreeing with?

                    I don't know enough about the incident. Haven't seen the video or what on before the video. If they are truly convicted of misdemeanor assault it is serious. I looked it up and you can get up to a year in jail for it.

                    Unless they just want to plea bargain, pay a fine and get out of here, it wouldn't surprise me if this ends up in court they end up not being convicted.

                    On the other hand who knows in Utah County. A real good friend of my brothers and a guy I play golf with now and then ended up charged and convicted. It was one of the most bogus things I have ever seen and threw fear into me when it comes to the legal system.

                    I never really believe the idea prosecutors will just charge and try to win before I saw this happen.

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #2560
                      Tyson Pile = Scratch
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • Scratch
                        Junior Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 173

                        #2561
                        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        Tyson Pile = Scratch
                        Or not.

                        Comment

                        • Goatnapper'96
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10924

                          #2562
                          Originally posted by Scratch View Post
                          Or not.
                          Or.
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

                          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

                          Comment

                          • Blueintheface
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 15382

                            #2563
                            Originally posted by Scratch View Post
                            Or not.
                            Sorry about that. You both share the same obsession.
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                            Comment

                            • Scratch
                              Junior Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 173

                              #2564
                              Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                              Sorry about that. You both share the same obsession.
                              Trying to get residential real estate listings?

                              Comment

                              • TexTechCoug
                                Carbonite
                                • Nov 2010
                                • 891

                                #2565
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                Not sure what I said you are disagreeing with?

                                I don't know enough about the incident. Haven't seen the video or what on before the video. If they are truly convicted of misdemeanor assault it is serious. I looked it up and you can get up to a year in jail for it.

                                Unless they just want to plea bargain, pay a fine and get out of here, it wouldn't surprise me if this ends up in court they end up not being convicted.

                                On the other hand who knows in Utah County. A real good friend of my brothers and a guy I play golf with now and then ended up charged and convicted. It was one of the most bogus things I have ever seen and threw fear into me when it comes to the legal system.

                                I never really believe the idea prosecutors will just charge and try to win before I saw this happen.
                                Utah juries are notoriously bad. They pretty much assume that everyone is guilty unless proven innocent. The conviction rate is high, ~80%, I believe.

                                Comment

                                Working...