Week 11

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #166
    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
    Does the winner of Okie St/OU play LSU, assuming LSU wins out and the Sooners and Cowboys don't trip up this week?
    I'm still not sure how Oklahoma can lose at home to a team that isn't going to a bowl game and be in the discussion, but I'm probably just taking things personally.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • USUC
      Chronic Poseur
      • Apr 2010
      • 8805

      #167
      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I'm still not sure how Oklahoma can lose at home to a team that isn't going to a bowl game and be in the discussion, but I'm probably just taking things personally.
      I'm not so sure the voters (mainly the Harris Poll, maybe the coaches) will manipulate the final rankings to get the matchup they want. If Bama goes undefeated, the only situation I envision a one loss team jumping ahead of them is if Oklahoma kills OK St. It doesn't matter that Oklahoma lost to lowly TTech, it was mid season and they would have the quality win to finish it out. Oregon's problem is they got blown out by LSU. No one wants to watch that again. As bad as the Bama game was, at least it was close and either team could win and Oregon might end up there just because it would be a team that LSU hasn't played.

      Then again, throw everything out the door if LSU loses. They have a tough couple games to end the season.
      Last edited by USUC; 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM.

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #168
        Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
        I'm not so sure the voters (mainly the Harris Poll, maybe the coaches) will manipulate the final rankings to get the matchup they want. If Bama goes undefeated, the only situation I envision a one loss team jumping ahead of them is if Oklahoma kills OK St. It doesn't matter that Oklahoma lost to lowly TTech, it was mid season and they would have the quality win to finish it out. Oregon's problem is they got blown out by LSU. No one wants to watch that again. As bad as the Bama game was, at least it was close and either team could win and Oregon might end up there just because it would be a team that LSU hasn't played.

        Then again, throw everything out the door if LSU loses. They have a tough couple games to end the season.
        I'm not arguing for Oregon. Boise, Alabama, Stanford all have better 1-loss than Oklahoma. I understand people don't want to see a rematch, but I would rather Alabama gets a second shot than Oklahoma. (Babs really screwed the Sooners losing her magic hat, that is inexcusable)

        If everybody has 1 loss it should come down to evaluating the loss IMO. As boring as it was, right now Alabama should be the leader in that category.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • Coach McGuirk
          1
          • Nov 2008
          • 12109

          #169
          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          I'm not arguing for Oregon. Boise, Alabama, Stanford all have better 1-loss than Oklahoma. I understand people don't want to see a rematch, but I would rather Alabama gets a second shot than Oklahoma. (Babs really screwed the Sooners losing her magic hat, that is inexcusable)

          If everybody has 1 loss it should come down to evaluating the loss IMO. As boring as it was, right now Alabama should be the leader in that category.
          That is a game I won't watch. Can't shoot the shooter and they already fooled me once.

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #170
            Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            That is a game I won't watch. Can't shoot the shooter and they already fooled me once.
            I'm don't love the idea either, but who deserves to go then?
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • Coach McGuirk
              1
              • Nov 2008
              • 12109

              #171
              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              I'm don't love the idea either, but who deserves to go then?
              Given the choice of a rematch between Oregon and Alabama, I choose Oregon.

              Comment

              • CardiacCoug
                вот так штука
                • Nov 2008
                • 11013

                #172
                Oregon-LSU rematch would be better than a Bama-LSU rematch.

                (I'm not just saying that for HFN's benefit).

                Teams change a lot during the season. I would never support a NC game rematch between teams from the same conference that already played the 9th game of the season.

                Also Bama would get to avoid their conference championship game. Not fair.

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #173
                  Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  Given the choice of a rematch between Oregon and Alabama, I choose Oregon.
                  Alabama's loss to LSU was a "better" loss by almost any measure. I think people are really not going to want a rematch and Oklahoma is going to get in to a BCS game against LSU not based on merit again.

                  It seems that people always talk about needing a slew of undefeated teams to cause BCS turmoil, however it seems that 7-8 worthy 1-loss teams could cause some real problems this year.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  • CardiacCoug
                    вот так штука
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 11013

                    #174
                    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    Alabama's loss to LSU was a "better" loss by almost any measure. I think people are really not going to want a rematch and Oklahoma is going to get in to a BCS game against LSU not based on merit again.

                    It seems that people always talk about needing a slew of undefeated teams to cause BCS turmoil, however it seems that 7-8 worthy 1-loss teams could cause some real problems this year.
                    The Big 12 is a better conference than the PAC-12 this season. If OU can beat Oklahoma State (I don't think they will) then I would be all right with OU going over Oregon, although that Texas Tech loss at home is looking bad and with no Broyles I don't think OU is very good.

                    Comment

                    • MartyFunkhouser
                      Disciple of RNGesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 18763

                      #175
                      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Alabama's loss to LSU was a "better" loss by almost any measure. I think people are really not going to want a rematch and Oklahoma is going to get in to a BCS game against LSU not based on merit again.

                      It seems that people always talk about needing a slew of undefeated teams to cause BCS turmoil, however it seems that 7-8 worthy 1-loss teams could cause some real problems this year.
                      Oklahoma getting into the BCS championship game and not deserving it, that could never happen.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

                      Comment

                      • MartyFunkhouser
                        Disciple of RNGesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 18763

                        #176
                        If a 1 loss Oklahoma team gets in over the Ducks, they should never, under any circumstances, schedule a tough non-conference game again.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

                        Comment

                        • Hsaru
                          Junior Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 1109

                          #177
                          Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                          If a 1 loss Oklahoma team gets in over the Ducks, they should never, under any circumstances, schedule a tough non-conference game again.
                          Oklahoma had a road game at #5 Florida St in their OOC, I know they ended up somewhat crappy, but they got a big boost from doing that, just like LSU did with their OOC. I think Ok St. beats OU though, it will be a shootout but I think they pull it out because Broyles is out.

                          Comment

                          • Portland Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 5647

                            #178
                            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            I'm still not sure how Oklahoma can lose at home to a team that isn't going to a bowl game and be in the discussion, but I'm probably just taking things personally.
                            I agree with you.

                            If you lose to a team that is that bad...at home, you are out of the discussion.

                            Or should be.

                            Comment

                            • Portland Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 5647

                              #179
                              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              I'm not arguing for Oregon. Boise, Alabama, Stanford all have better 1-loss than Oklahoma. I understand people don't want to see a rematch, but I would rather Alabama gets a second shot than Oklahoma. (Babs really screwed the Sooners losing her magic hat, that is inexcusable)

                              If everybody has 1 loss it should come down to evaluating the loss IMO. As boring as it was, right now Alabama should be the leader in that category.
                              Sure, Boise's loss might be better but who have they beaten that would compare to beating OkSU?

                              Boise's season is over.

                              Boise has no place in this discussion.

                              Comment

                              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                                Time to camp
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26082

                                #180
                                VaTech/Clemson winner in the ACC championship game could have an argument. Especially if Clemson comes out on top again.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

                                Comment

                                Working...