BYU vs TCU 2011: The long-haired assassin goes to Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU vs TCU 2011: The long-haired assassin goes to Dallas

A reloading TCU team gets a different BYU team than it is accustomed to. Gone are the pocket passers that Patterson's defenses have feasted on for the last 3 years. A fully entrenched Riley Nelson faces his toughest opponent this season, leading a BYU team that seems to be finding an identity. Both teams pummeled sub-Division 1 teams this weekend. And we're back in Jerryworld, where Max Hall's ghost can still be heard chanting "We're gonna win!"

Should be a fun game. Hope we get ge healthy this weekend. I'm allowing myself to get excited, didn't want to look past Idaho State.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

I'm very disappointed in this thread title.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I'm very disappointed in this thread title.
      I liked the title of the other BYU/TCU thread better for some reason...

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=47754
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        I liked the title of the other BYU/TCU thread better for some reason...

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=47754
        I think DDD is just looking for a "does" in there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          I think DDD is just looking for a "does" in there somewhere.
          Exactly.

Riley does Dallas would have been much better.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
            where Max Hall's ghost can still be heard chanting "We're gonna win!"
            :chills:
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I decided to post my TCU comment in this thread - rather than the competing one - because I think Riley is the story.

BYU QBs define themselves with trademark wins in big games.

Both Beck and Hall occasionally wet themselves in the big games and in clutch situations, but both ultimately made their legacies by breaking through in some of them. Beck really first vs TCU in 2006 and then of course wrapping up vs Utah. Max was mediocre for three quarters against Oklahoma but then put together one of the most beautifully executed drives in Cougar history to win it.

Riley's main attribute that I appreciate is that he seems fearless - seems to be able to play above the anxiety and fear of mistakes that often plagued Beck (which, it's beginning to seem, Beck and Heaps have in common).

Saturday will be a huge challenge but a golden opportunity for him to cement himself as the guy for the remainder of his BYU career and to put a big win in the books for us.

I'm excited to see what he can do though I'm not betting on the upset and I am concerned that TCU's speed and disciplined aggression on D might negate most of Riley's upside. Our last two wins against TCU (2006,2007) were won with an NFL QB making NFL style precision throws all day (2006) and BYU's stellar 2007 linebacking corps putting on a great show in 2007 (Kehl, Nixon and K Popp were nails that night).

Riley's going to need the D to show up big and a quality gameplan in place. I'm looking for the Cougs to try and establish a physical ground game going directly at the TCU D with Alisa.
              Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Is there a line for this game yet? I see this as pretty even. TCU's a little overrated and we're trending up. Oregon State was underrated and we pretty much dominated them on the road. That game was a bigger game than we're giving ourselves credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  Is there a line for this game yet? I see this as pretty even. TCU's a little overrated and we're trending up. Oregon State was underrated and we pretty much dominated them on the road. That game was a bigger game than we're giving ourselves credit for.
                  byu +11.5
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

This is barometer game #2. If Riley can win this Friday, I will definitely be much more interested in booking passage and climbing aboard the train. Beating Idaho State did nothing for me. More Fools Gold.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                      byu +11.5
                      Wow. I just don't see that at all.

http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm Here, BYU is #50 and TCU is #33.

I think there's evidence we're a lot better team since Nelson came in. We handled Oregon State on the road, and they're 2-2 in the Pac.

Comment

Wow. I just don't see that at all.

http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm Here, BYU is #50 and TCU is #33.

I think there's evidence we're a lot better team since Nelson came in. We handled Oregon State on the road, and they're 2-2 in the Pac.
                        Part of that line has to be prior years performance. The last few have been unkind.

sigpic

Comment

Part of that line has to be prior years performance. The last few have been unkind.
                          I have defended Mendenhall a lot around these parts because of both my opinion that BYU fans struggle to just be happy with things being good and I think Mendenhall becomes a bit of a lightning rod for many things outside of the HC's control.

Saying that, I could live with 2008 being a bit of a rebuilding year on defense and the two debacles against Utah and TCU. I was frustrated with the letdown against FSU in 2009 and mildly frustrated that we were dominated by TCU two straight years when we had some experienced and good players, but I kept the faith for the mostpart. 2010 was a rebuilding year and those happen so I was fine with even the debacle against USU. This year I lost my patience with the Utah game and I will begin to officially start tipping towards the stringpullers if BYU cannot at least compete with TCU on Friday. This routine ass kicking by TCU must stop. It is time for BYU to RISE UP!

Friday is the gonna be a real good day and it will be the start of a very memorable run for the Riley Nelson led BYU Cougars! Friday is offically the springboard for 2012. Mendenhall has as many pieces in place as BYU is going to have. Make it happen Head Coach!
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

This is barometer game #2. If Riley can win this Friday, I will definitely be much more interested in booking passage and climbing aboard the train. Beating Idaho State did nothing for me. More Fools Gold.
                            Yeah. We know the same things about BYU before Idaho State as we did after.

I would not be surprised to see TCU cover that spread. I also will not be surprised if Jake Heaps has to finish this game. That should also be indicative of how my Monday is going.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

It'd be nice to believe that, but my optimism about us trending up is greatly tempered by the opposition we've faced in the last 4 games.
                              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Working...
                              X