Holy War 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hsaru
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1109

    #106
    Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
    I think both defenses are good. I do think we are slow at LB outside of Blechen and am worried about the TE match up there. I think we will be able to run the ball on BYU, however.
    Unless you can pull a talented read option QB out of your ass by next week I severely doubt you will be able to run the ball effectively.

    Comment

    • cougjunkie
      *Banned*
      • Nov 2008
      • 23223

      #107
      Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
      Unless you can pull a talented read option QB out of your ass by next week I severely doubt you will be able to run the ball effectively.
      Exactly, I doubt BYU prepared much for the option in the week leading up to the Texas game.
      *Banned*

      Comment

      • MartyFunkhouser
        Disciple of RNGesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 18750

        #108
        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        Exactly, I doubt BYU prepared much for the option in the week leading up to the Texas game.
        Utah won't be able to run the ball against BYU. BYU isn't going to be able to run the ball against Utah. Neither team has a decent running game. I think White is talented, but without some threat from Wynn, any decent defense will shut him down.

        junkie, I'm a little disappointed that you have lost your BYU will win by 20+ points bravado.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

        Comment

        • Portland Ute
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 5647

          #109
          I think it will be a traditional Utah/BYU game. That is to say, nobody will blow out anybody.

          That being said, my observation is that BYU will have the edge in the trenches. Utah's D-line hasn't been as impressive as they were hyped by the media/fans/coaches while BYU's O-line has been solid.

          Utah's O-line is...interesting. Cullen had an atrocious day yesterday. As bad a day for a left tackle as I can remember. Even Bergstrom had a couple of key mistakes. Bergstrom was getting owned by the left end.

          BYU's D-line isn't USC, but I think they will also have the advantage vs. Utah's O-line.

          BYU has a healthy QB. Utah has very good receivers.

          I like Juan Blanco el Cuarto more than what BYU has right now, but I go back to the O-lines vs. D-lines.

          I give the edge to BYU, but it will not be a blow out.

          Comment

          • BoylenOver
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 9146

            #110
            Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
            That being said, my observation is that BYU will have the edge in the trenches. Utah's D-line hasn't been as impressive as they were hyped by the media/fans/coaches while BYU's O-line has been solid.
            BYU's o-line was far from solid against Texas, and they received just as much or more hype than Utah's d-line.
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #111
              Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
              BYU's o-line was far from solid against Texas, and they received just as much or more hype than Utah's d-line.
              This is wrong--but an argument over who received more hype is beyond silly.

              I too haven't been as impressed with Utah's D-line as I thought I would be. BYU's O-line has been about what I expected. I think Texas will prove to be a great defense by the end of the year. They have a ton of speed everywhere and a good coordinator--they're just young.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • Portland Ute
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 5647

                #112
                Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                BYU's o-line was far from solid against Texas, and they received just as much or more hype than Utah's d-line.
                Maybe I'm being a downer, but I fail to believe that Utah's Defense, the D-line in particular, is going to be as effective vs. BYU as Texas' was.

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #113
                  Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  This is wrong--but an argument over who received more hype is beyond silly.

                  I too haven't been as impressed with Utah's D-line as I thought I would be. BYU's O-line has been about what I expected. I think Texas will prove to be a great defense by the end of the year. They have a ton of speed everywhere and a good coordinator--they're just young.
                  FTR, Phil Steele rate's Texas' defense #2 behind Bama.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • All-American
                    Right, as Usual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 15664

                    #114
                    Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                    Maybe I'm being a downer, but I fail to believe that Utah's Defense, the D-line in particular, is going to be as effective vs. BYU as Texas' was.
                    It depends on what BYU offense shows up, and importantly, why.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                    Comment

                    • UtahDan
                      *
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14496

                      #115
                      Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                      Unless you can pull a talented read option QB out of your ass by next week I severely doubt you will be able to run the ball effectively.
                      I'm surprised to see anyone bringing up that they got beaten by a third stringer this week.

                      Comment

                      • UtahDan
                        *
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14496

                        #116
                        Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                        Maybe I'm being a downer, but I fail to believe that Utah's Defense, the D-line in particular, is going to be as effective vs. BYU as Texas' was.

                        Comment

                        • Coach McGuirk
                          1
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12109

                          #117
                          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          I'm surprised to see anyone bringing up that they got beaten by a third stringer this week.

                          When that third stringer is better than your next opponents starter, it becomes relevant.

                          Comment

                          • UtahDan
                            *
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14496

                            #118
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            FTR, Phil Steele rate's Texas' defense #2 behind Bama.
                            I think Utah is not nearly as good in our linebacking corps as Texas. Lots of people are talking about line play against USC but I didn't see a problem there, I though it was the linebackers. I think our secondary is pretty good too if they can start to wrap up when they tackle rather than going for the kill shot all the time.

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #119
                              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              I think Utah is not nearly as good in our linebacking corps as Texas. Lots of people are talking about line play against USC but I didn't see a problem there, I though it was the linebackers. I think our secondary is pretty good too if they can start to wrap up when they tackle rather than going for the kill shot all the time.
                              I wish BYU would learn this too. Bronco's fanatical effort sometimes I think leads to guys playing to make the big hit instead of doing what's textbook. Too many guys putting their heads down trying to lay the wood instead of just breaking down, wrapping up, and making the play. It really sucks that Hague was out because Uale (pick not withstanding) was absolutely terrible.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • cougjunkie
                                *Banned*
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 23223

                                #120
                                Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                                Utah won't be able to run the ball against BYU. BYU isn't going to be able to run the ball against Utah. Neither team has a decent running game. I think White is talented, but without some threat from Wynn, any decent defense will shut him down.

                                junkie, I'm a little disappointed that you have lost your BYU will win by 20+ points bravado.
                                Who said I lost it? BYU is going to roll Utah. I was trying to show a bit of class since you just got your ass handed to you in your inaugural pac 12 game.

                                Now that it has been close to 24 hours here is my prediction.

                                Utah tries to play man-press coverage on the outside and realizes that Ross Apo is a mother trucking beast as he finishes with 8 catches for 140 and 2 tds.

                                The BYU O-line is pissed after not playing great last week and dominates the Utah D-line. Utahs linebackers suck ass and all of those runs that JJ couldn't get outside on against Texas go for 7 yards a pop.

                                Heaps goes 25-34 for 295 and 3 tds.

                                The BYU defense abuses Utahs sieve of an O-line and harrasses Wynn and his shotput throwing motion all night long. WYnn goes 13-31 for 164 1 td (on a screen play to Devonte) and 3 ints.

                                JOhn White realizes that USCs defense really wasn't that good especially compared to BYU as he is held to 30 yards on 15 carries.

                                BYU scores a defensive touchdown and wins going away 34-14. Take that shit to the fucking bank, or check city for you Ute fans.

                                PS: It is also confirmed that Travis Uale still sucks.
                                *Banned*

                                Comment

                                Working...