Holy War 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • statman
    Rabblerouser
    • Aug 2009
    • 2799

    #931
    Originally posted by Flattop View Post
    It's not a rule, but this place can be confusing for the first six months or so -- especially if you are a Ute fan.
    Lots of things are confusing for Ute fans...

    Comment

    • Flattop
      Many books, little time
      • Jun 2009
      • 1452

      #932
      Originally posted by kccougar View Post
      Since Kautai Olevao was on a mission during the 1996 season, I think you are wrong on this.
      Olevao's player bio:



      Edit: "after great freshman campaign in 1995, went on two-year LDS church mission to Argentina ... returned to school in August of 1998 and immediately won starting post back."
      Last edited by Flattop; 09-15-2011, 02:23 PM.
      Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
      Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
      Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

      Comment

      • Flattop
        Many books, little time
        • Jun 2009
        • 1452

        #933
        Originally posted by statman View Post
        Lots of things are confusing for Ute fans...
        No, just BYU fan behavior.
        Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
        Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
        Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #934
          Did the fist roll come from the Haka?

          [YOUTUBE]YJeFR6xJwdQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • kccougar
            9262
            • Nov 2008
            • 7020

            #935
            Originally posted by Flattop View Post
            Olevao's player bio:



            "WAC player of the week in the first game he played in two years" during 1998.
            Hack.
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

            Comment

            • Portland Ute
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 5647

              #936
              Originally posted by BlueHair View Post
              I'd give the RB's and the D line to Utah. Luckily, our D line doesn't play against their D line so matchups are more important. I'd break it down like this:

              BYU OLine vs Utah D line - Toss up
              Utah Oline vs. BYU D line - BYU
              BYU receivers vs. Utah DB's - BYU slight edge
              Utah receivers vs. BYU DB's - Utah extreme edge
              Norm Chow vs. Bronco Mendenhall - BYU moderate edge
              Brandon Doman vs. Kalani Sitake - Utah slight edge

              The good thing this Wynn is incapable of exlpoiting our biggest weakness.
              I think when you look at Doman vs. Sitake, you have to factor in Whittingham. When you do that, I think Utah's defensive coaching has a solid edge over Doman.

              Comment

              • LA Ute
                Receiver of Memory
                • Nov 2008
                • 19512

                #937
                The moment the rivalry was really back:

                [YOUTUBE]AvCKuPJyOCI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden


                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                Comment

                • Senioritis
                  Mr. Crimson Lover
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 694

                  #938
                  Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                  My only concern about this writeup is the credit given to Darnell Arceneaux for the victory in 1999. Darnell Arceneaux didn't play in the 1999 game. I doubt Darnell Arceneaux remembers where he was on the day of the 1999 game, or really for any of the 1999 season.

                  In 1999, Utah beat BYU in Provo with TD Croshaw at quarterback.

                  I'd like to repeat that, with emphasis:

                  IN 1999, UTAH BEAT BYU IN PROVO WITH TD CROSHAW AT QUARTERBACK!

                  Jordan Wynn ain't TD Croshaw. Nothing to worry about.

                  Comment

                  • Eddie
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 8098

                    #939
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    Did the fist roll come from the Haka?

                    [YOUTUBE]YJeFR6xJwdQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
                    I would answer that question, but I'm afraid of the liability.

                    I just couldn't accept responsibility for the safety of BYU fans at the stadium on Saturday. I'm afraid that the first time BYU scores, resulting in the fight song and fist roll, all of the Utah players would be climbing into the stands after that obvious demonstration of disrespect and call to battle.

                    Think of the women and children!

                    Comment

                    • Art Vandelay
                      Striving for mediocrity
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 10516

                      #940
                      Originally posted by Senioritis View Post
                      My only concern about this writeup is the credit given to Darnell Arceneaux for the victory in 1999. Darnell Arceneaux didn't play in the 1999 game. I doubt Darnell Arceneaux remembers where he was on the day of the 1999 game, or really for any of the 1999 season.

                      In 1999, Utah beat BYU in Provo with TD Croshaw at quarterback.

                      I'd like to repeat that, with emphasis:

                      IN 1999, UTAH BEAT BYU IN PROVO WITH TD CROSHAW AT QUARTERBACK!

                      Jordan Wynn ain't TD Croshaw. Nothing to worry about.
                      I vaguely recall TD. Much like his fictional counterpart JD McCoy, didn't he have some kind of overbearing father or something?

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #941
                        This one is memorable.

                        Top 10 individual performances in Utah-BYU games



                        # 2 - 2005 - Brett Ratliff, Utah

                        In Utah's 41-35 overtime win, Utes quarterback Brett Ratliff stepped in and gave BYU fits with both his arm and legs. He finished with 240 yards and four TDs passing, and rushed for another 129 yards and a TD. He won the game with a 25-yard scoring pass to Travis LaTrendesse in OT.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • Scorcho
                          Junior Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • 835

                          #942
                          Originally posted by BlueHair View Post
                          I'd give the RB's and the D line to Utah. Luckily, our D line doesn't play against their D line so matchups are more important. I'd break it down like this:

                          BYU OLine vs Utah D line - Toss up
                          Utah Oline vs. BYU D line - BYU
                          BYU receivers vs. Utah DB's - BYU slight edge
                          Utah receivers vs. BYU DB's - Utah extreme edge
                          Norm Chow vs. Bronco Mendenhall - BYU moderate edge
                          Brandon Doman vs. Kalani Sitake - Utah slight edge
                          somewhat forgotten is the factoring in of outside elements that could possibly have an impact:

                          Crowd Noise - BYU
                          Weather - Toss Up
                          Replay Booth - BYU Extreme Edge

                          Comment

                          • myboynoah
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 21719

                            #943
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                            Comment

                            • Flattop
                              Many books, little time
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 1452

                              #944
                              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              I vaguely recall TD. Much like his fictional counterpart JD McCoy, didn't he have some kind of overbearing father or something?
                              IIRC, his father was the head coach at Dixie.

                              Edit: "Son of Greg and Doris Croshaw ... father is head coach at Dixie College ..."

                              Last edited by Flattop; 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM.
                              Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                              Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                              Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                              Comment

                              • NorthwestUteFan
                                אלוף
                                • Oct 2010
                                • 3384

                                #945
                                Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                                Since Kautai Olevao was on a mission during the 1996 season, I think you are wrong on this.
                                And that's another thing. I hear all these names of players from back when I was in school (post mission), and remember that they were from SO long ago.

                                Then I realize they are quite a bit younger than I am (Kautai was in my youngest brother's mission in Argentina), and then I feel old. I always liked Sarkisian but it wasn't until he was made the HC up here at UW that I realized he is ~3 years younger than I.

                                The kids playing this year were barely in elementary school when I graduate from college. That is a tough realization.

                                Comment

                                Working...