2011 BYU Football Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BGRTHNUMEGO
    Junior Member
    • May 2010
    • 3670

    #1321
    Originally posted by GrizzledVeteran View Post
    One of them is a Lott Award candidate and the other isn't.
    One has a shot at being a finalist for that award at some point in his career and the other doesn't.

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #1322
      Originally posted by GrizzledVeteran View Post
      One of them is a Lott Award candidate and the other isn't.
      KVN is a Lott award candidate? Impressive.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • GrizzledVeteran
        Junior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 105

        #1323
        Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
        One has a shot at being a finalist for that award at some point in his career and the other doesn't.
        Hopefully, Van Noy has learned how to make plays other than the times where he isn't being blocked. If he's learned to do that, maybe he will be a finalist some day.

        Comment

        • Commando
          Explosivo
          • Feb 2009
          • 20748

          #1324
          Originally posted by GrizzledVeteran View Post
          Hopefully, Van Noy has learned how to make plays other than the times where he isn't being blocked. If he's learned to do that, maybe he will be a finalist some day.
          What are you- Frazier's dad? Dude makes plenty of plays when he's being blocked.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

          Comment

          • GrizzledVeteran
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2011
            • 105

            #1325
            Originally posted by Commando View Post
            What are you- Frazier's dad? Dude makes plenty of plays when he's being blocked.
            Last year? Wrong. He couldn't shed blocks to save his life.

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #1326
              Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
              And he says KVN and Frazier are "neck and neck". You'd have to absolutely love Bronco if you were a vet who was willing to work your tail off every day.
              He said that right before mentioning that KVN is possibly playing at a higher level than anybody else on the defense. Sounds like his neck is starting to stick out a bit further.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • oxcoug
                Dolphins Rape Hipsters
                • Dec 2009
                • 5309

                #1327
                Originally posted by GrizzledVeteran View Post
                Last year? Wrong. He couldn't shed blocks to save his life.
                At what point last year?

                KVN's play evolved considerably between UW and Utah last year (not surprising given his youth).
                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

                It can't all be wedding cake.

                Comment

                • oxcoug
                  Dolphins Rape Hipsters
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 5309

                  #1328
                  Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  KVN is a Lott award candidate? Impressive.
                  Also - let's be candid about the "Lott Impact Award" - it's a relatively new thing and it's hard to gauge how much it means in football terms since the organization is about helping youth.

                  The Butkus Award it ain't.

                  "The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation® provides an IMPACT® award to individuals who demonstrate excellence in the field of athletics. The IMPACT® award recognizes college football's Defensive Player of the Year who best exemplifies Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity."

                  From Wikipedia: "The award purports to equally recognize the personal character of the winning player as well as his athletic excellence."

                  I'm a big fan of personal character but give me a choice between 1986 Lawrence Taylor and 2006 Cam Jensen on a football team I'm trying to win games with and I'm pretty sure I take LT.

                  Anywho.... looks like we don't need to be citing a listing on the 40-name watch list for the Lott Award as evidence of job-winning bonafides.
                  Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

                  It can't all be wedding cake.

                  Comment

                  • Sizzle
                    #ThisIsY
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 9004

                    #1329
                    Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    So apparently Hadley laid out Colby Jorgensen and separated his shoulder? Great job, dipshit. :anger:
                    Maybe I'm the only one who sees the silver lining in this. Let Colby redshirt. We're fine at TE with Holt/Mahina/Wilson.

                    Comment

                    • smokymountainrain
                      Impressive Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22593

                      #1330
                      Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                      Also - let's be candid about the "Lott Impact Award" - it's a relatively new thing and it's hard to gauge how much it means in football terms since the organization is about helping youth.

                      The Butkus Award it ain't.

                      "The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation® provides an IMPACT® award to individuals who demonstrate excellence in the field of athletics. The IMPACT® award recognizes college football's Defensive Player of the Year who best exemplifies Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity."

                      From Wikipedia: "The award purports to equally recognize the personal character of the winning player as well as his athletic excellence."

                      I'm a big fan of personal character but give me a choice between 1986 Lawrence Taylor and 2006 Cam Jensen on a football team I'm trying to win games with and I'm pretty sure I take LT.

                      Anywho.... looks like we don't need to be citing a listing on the 40-name watch list for the Lott Award as evidence of job-winning bonafides.
                      Thanks for the post. I thought I followed the college football awards fairly closely, but hadn't heard of that one. Now I know why.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

                      Comment

                      • smokymountainrain
                        Impressive Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22593

                        #1331
                        Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                        Maybe I'm the only one who sees the silver lining in this. Let Colby redshirt. We're fine at TE with Holt/Mahina/Wilson.
                        You're not. I feel bad for Colby, but from a football perspective long term, it's probably a good thing.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

                        Comment

                        • Commando
                          Explosivo
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 20748

                          #1332
                          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          You're not. I feel bad for Colby, but from a football perspective long term, it's probably a good thing.
                          He's gonna catch a lot of Tanner Mangum TDs. Would have been nice to have a weapon like that in the corner of the endzone in red zone situations this year, though.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                          Comment

                          • oxcoug
                            Dolphins Rape Hipsters
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 5309

                            #1333
                            You can feel the hate in these comments from Hinds:

                            "I love it, I absolutely love how Bronco explained it to me when I met with him," he said about playing OLB. "I think that with what I can do athletically, that playing outside linebacker in a 3-4 system is perfect for me."

                            He'll also be playing in that system for a defensive coach that esteems very highly.

                            "Coach Mendenhall is one of the best, maybe the best defensive mind in the country," said Hinds. "He knows defense and how to coach defense as well as anyone. That was a big thing in my mind. I know that people say that I could have played in better defensive systems, and that I committed because of the other things besides football, but that isn't true at all. I love everything about how they play football there, and how Bronco coaches on defense."

                            Last edited by oxcoug; 08-10-2011, 05:24 PM.
                            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

                            It can't all be wedding cake.

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #1334
                              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              You're not. I feel bad for Colby, but from a football perspective long term, it's probably a good thing.
                              But he could have redshirted (which was probably likely anyway) w/o being injured and that would have been even better.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #1335
                                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                But he could have redshirted (which was probably likely anyway) w/o being injured and that would have been even better.
                                Of course, if he was a likely redshirt regardless. I didn't know he was a likely redshirt prior to the injury, however.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...