The Official 2026 BYU Football Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green Monstah
    Royal Rooter
    • Aug 2010
    • 13966

    #331
    I am irrationally worried about this game.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69724

      #332
      Great start on O.
      Terrible start on D.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Bo Diddley
        Senior
        • Jul 2012
        • 18804

        #333
        That CSU D is improving! Took BYU three plays to score on this drive.

        Comment

        • Bo Diddley
          Senior
          • Jul 2012
          • 18804

          #334
          Great first half.

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69724

            #335
            Wow that got ugly.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • USUC
              Chronic Poseur
              • Apr 2010
              • 8795

              #336
              The depth on this team is not going to cut it. Let's hope that this team stays healthy.

              Comment

              • PaloAltoCougar
                Semper infra dignitatem
                • Nov 2008
                • 16938

                #337
                BYU's receivers' downfield blocking has been outstanding. I enjoy re-watching LJ's long TD run, especially because of what Legend did on that play.. LJ is five yards beyond where Legend made his initial block, but rather than sit back and admire LJ from afar, Legend quickly makes up that difference, gets ahed of LJ, and makes the final block that results in a TD. Awesome for any receiver, amazing for a freshman. We may be seeing a superstar in the making. Very lucky to have that kid.


                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18804

                  #338
                  Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  BYU's receivers' downfield blocking has been outstanding. I enjoy re-watching LJ's long TD run, especially because of what Legend did on that play.. LJ is five yards beyond where Legend made his initial block, but rather than sit back and admire LJ from afar, Legend quickly makes up that difference, gets ahed of LJ, and makes the final block that results in a TD. Awesome for any receiver, amazing for a freshman. We may be seeing a superstar in the making. Very lucky to have that kid.
                  I love that kid! This is a fun team to watch play.

                  Comment

                  • Green Monstah
                    Royal Rooter
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13966

                    #339
                    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    BYU's receivers' downfield blocking has been outstanding. I enjoy re-watching LJ's long TD run, especially because of what Legend did on that play.. LJ is five yards beyond where Legend made his initial block, but rather than sit back and admire LJ from afar, Legend quickly makes up that difference, gets ahed of LJ, and makes the final block that results in a TD. Awesome for any receiver, amazing for a freshman. We may be seeing a superstar in the making. Very lucky to have that kid.

                    Agreed. And it’s not the first time this season he’s done the dirty work on a score.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69724

                      #340
                      That first half domination was really fun. Especially the O-line.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18804

                        #341
                        Week 3, excluding FCS games, I took a look at where BYU ranks within FBS teams. Then I had the AI adjust the numbers based on how everyone did vs. their opponents' averages in each category. Still early, but it's interesting to look at. After a few more weeks we can add in opponents of opponents. Then I usually like weight recent games more heavily to account for how teams trend.
                        Category Raw Rank Adjusted Rank
                        Total Offense 21 5
                        Rushing Offense 12 6
                        Passing Offense 68 43
                        Scoring Offense 26 11
                        Total Defense 35 15
                        Rushing Defense 18 47
                        Passing Defense 72 18
                        Scoring Defense 36 11
                        ​

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69724

                          #342
                          Is this good? It seems good.

                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Bo Diddley
                            Senior
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 18804

                            #343
                            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Week 3, excluding FCS games, I took a look at where BYU ranks within FBS teams. Then I had the AI adjust the numbers based on how everyone did vs. their opponents' averages in each category. Still early, but it's interesting to look at. After a few more weeks we can add in opponents of opponents. Then I usually like weight recent games more heavily to account for how teams trend.
                            Category Raw Rank Adjusted Rank
                            Total Offense 21 5
                            Rushing Offense 12 6
                            Passing Offense 68 43
                            Scoring Offense 26 11
                            Total Defense 35 15
                            Rushing Defense 18 47
                            Passing Defense 72 18
                            Scoring Defense 36 11
                            I ran a few statistics models through the AI using the past three seasons. I started with week 10 as the baseline so we had at least 9 games feeding into the models. I wanted to predict how the teams would do in each of the above stats based on the models. The first was a simple average. The second was adjust by each team's opponents, the third factored in opponents of opponents and the fourth weighted the games prior the latest one 5% less each week.

                            Turns out any gains were relatively small, going from something like 70% to 71.5%, depending on the stat category and the model. The extra work is pretty meaningless! The volatility you see in the chart above is because of how early in the season we are, no doubt.

                            Comment

                            • BigFatMeanie
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7117

                              #344
                              Man, bye weeks are boring.

                              Comment

                              • BigFatMeanie
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7117

                                #345
                                Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                Man, bye weeks are boring.
                                Well I take that back. Watching Whit lose on the last second play at home to Iowa is quite enjoyable.

                                Comment

                                Working...