The Independent Expansion Groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #991
    Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Isnt that a two for one?
    Dates to be determined. Looks to be independent of next year's already scheduled game. I don't recall any talk of a 2-1 when next year's game in Texas was announced.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • Color Me Badd Fan
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 12519

      #992
      Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
      Isnt that a two for one?
      There's no indication that it's contingent on BYU's game in Austin in 2011.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #993
        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
        You beat me Surfah.

        I think this is huge news. Texas is a huge catch.
        This will be a conference game soon enough though.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #994
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I'm no Harmon fan, but show me a Harmon column that sounds as whiny and bitter as that one.
          Well, I was about to concede your point, but then I remembered Dick's meltdown in that ESPN interview on the day of Utah's PAC press conference. Tough to beat that one.

          EDIT: Oops, I didn't see Jarid's post below. I'm using a PDA.
          Last edited by LA Ute; 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37973

            #995
            Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
            Isnt that a two for one?
            No, the "one" was just an introductory offer. Now that they know we're legit, they're giving us the "locals only" deal.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37973

              #996
              Texas already making excuses.

              Texas has played BYU twice and lost both games when the two met in 1987 and 1988. The Longhorns fell 22-17 at home and was crushed 47-7 on the road the following year when Heisman candidate running back Eric Metcalf was suspended for the season-opener when he accepted money for summer school at Texas and then dropped his classes.


              Whatever. Just say we whipped your ass and leave it at that.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Portland Ute
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 5647

                #997
                Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                My understanding is that when they went to withdraw the $3,000,000,000.00 for the mall that about $50M got misplaced and some enterprising person decided it would be better to ask for forgiveness that permission. This is like you or I misplacing the change from lunch.
                Surely you are joking...

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #998
                  Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                  Surely you are joking...
                  He's dead serious. My sources say that's exactly what happened.

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #999
                    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    This will be a conference game soon enough though.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #1000
                      If you notice, Texas is also signing a home and home series with Maryland. Isn't BYU at least the equivalent of Maryland? Also is Texas phasing out the creampuffs on their schedule so they can get higher quality games for its own network? Where is the line between trying to ensure you'll be undefeated at the end of the year and trying to set up competitive match-ups that will make money for you on TV?
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • EuropeanFootballMale
                        Karate/Friendship Master
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 1339

                        #1001
                        I was never one of those people who thought the church would drop athletics at BYU a la Ricks. Now I'm not so sure. If I'm running the show in Salt Lake City and am not sure how committed I am to BYU athletics I might do just this sort of thing. See if BYU sports is really as big a deal as some purport it to be. Go independent and sink or swim. If you swim, great. If you don't . . . It goes without saying that I don't have any inside info on this. It's just that none of this makes sense. We're missing something key here. I just hope it's a good something we're missing.

                        Comment

                        • Portland Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 5647

                          #1002
                          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          He's dead serious. My sources say that's exactly what happened.
                          Oh, go on. You guys are really just trying to get me to have an aneurysm on line.

                          Should I broadcast it?

                          Comment

                          • Mormon Red Death
                            BYU Delenda Est
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 8077

                            #1003
                            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            He's dead serious. My sources say that's exactly what happened.
                            and stop calling him shirley
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                            "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                            Comment

                            • YOhio
                              Hipster Mode
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26165

                              #1004
                              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              Touchdown Joseph? Who does this lady thing she is? What a bigot! I'm offended!

                              Comment

                              • wally
                                <><><><><><><><>
                                • Jun 2010
                                • 4137

                                #1005
                                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                Touchdown Joseph? Who does this lady thing she is? What a bigot! I'm offended!
                                Shoulda been "Touchdown Brigham", but then she probably doesn't even know what B.Y.U. stands for.

                                Comment

                                Working...