The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #3901
    Rice! Dennis Dodd saying they're not under consideration means they are. It's good news.

    (Dennis Dodd tweeting a rumor is not an "announcement," Lebowski.)
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • SeattleUte
      Faith crisis consultant
      • Nov 2008
      • 20837

      #3902
      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      In some contexts, like this one, being hated is good.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

      --Jonathan Swift

      Comment

      • USUC
        Chronic Poseur
        • Apr 2010
        • 8793

        #3903
        I for one hope the Pac-XX survives and slowly withers away on Apple TV.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69706

          #3904
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Rice! Dennis Dodd saying they're not under consideration means they are. It's good news.

          (Dennis Dodd tweeting a rumor is not an "announcement," Lebowski.)
          ???
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69706

            #3905
            Originally posted by USUC View Post
            I for one hope the Pac-XX survives and slowly withers away on Apple TV.
            That would be a terrible idea for the conference. I hope they do it.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • myboynoah
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 21719

              #3906
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

              That would be a terrible idea for the conference. I hope they do it.
              Yes, the best consummation for all involved.

              The service is about to start a 10-year, $2.5 billion agreement with MLS in which it will have the global rights to stream all the league’s games with an all-inclusive package that will be $99 for subscribers. An all-in deal similar to MLS’s agreement would be more in line for the Pac-12 with Apple.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

              Comment

              • beefytee
                Board eye candy
                • Mar 2009
                • 7542

                #3907
                AppleTV would be horrible for the PAC-12. Not as bad as the Pac12 network, but this sounds like this is for all content, not just 3rd tier. So honestly a worse situation than they are currently in. Prime likely has 5x the subscribers of AppleTV+.

                Apple TV+ estimated to have over 40 million subscribers - MacDailyNews

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #3908
                  Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  AppleTV would be horrible for the PAC-12. Not as bad as the Pac12 network, but this sounds like this is for all content, not just 3rd tier. So honestly a worse situation than they are currently in. Prime likely has 5x the subscribers of AppleTV+.

                  Apple TV+ estimated to have over 40 million subscribers - MacDailyNews
                  It would be great... Like MLS season pass Apple would sell a Pac 12-2 season pass (at $15/mo). Who wouldn't want to pay $15/mo (plus $7/mo for the base apple tv +) for some Pac 12-2 at night?

                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #3909
                    Dodd estimates that the Pac 12-2 will get a media deal that pays $25m/yr/team... I assume that is before adding SDSU/SMU. After they add SDSU/SMU then it will be less than that.

                    What is the Pac-12 actually selling? Ratings without USC, UCLA explain league's struggle to land rights deal

                    The Pac-12's inability to land a media rights deal is reaching a concerning point
                    [...]
                    When USC and UCLA left, the Pac-12 was stripped of 23 conference games involving those teams that were among the top 20 most watched on a weekly basis over the past two seasons. That represented approximately 20% of the total conference inventory.
                    [...]
                    What is the Pac-12 actually worth?
                    A reliable figure for the league has not emerged. This despite there usually being something leaked in negotiations like this. So far, it's been crickets, which means the Pac-12 is either about to underperform ... unless, as mentioned, Kliavkoff has a surprise waiting heretofore unknown.

                    A big deal has been made out of the Pac-12 getting at least as much as the Big 12 ($31.66 million per school). But it is folly to compare the conferences in this situation. They are separate entities worth whatever a rightsholder will pay. The Pac-12 is especially an outlier because it is the last conference in the cycle to do a deal, and the well of cash looks like it has dried up.

                    Best guess? Indeed, only an educated guess: The Pac-12 will get a deal that pays its schools $25 million annually. The current 12-year Pac-12 deal that expires next year averages $20.8 million. The length of the active deal made former commissioner Larry Scott an easy target as the league got lapped by other conferences.

                    A $25 million would lag approximately $50 million annually behind the Big Ten. As such, concerns would be raised about whether such a figure would be enough to keep Pac-12 schools from bolting for potential opportunities in the Big Ten and Big 12.
                    [...]
                    The fulcrum for the Pac-12 may be Amazon's interest. Industry sources have speculated that Amazon is amenable to acquiring one game per week (14 total) and not much more. It would want the best Pac-12 games to broaden its subscription base.

                    Will the "best" games from the new Pac-12 be good enough? That remains to be seen.


                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #3910
                      More commentary on how the Pac 12 missed the opportunity to sign a decent media contract...



                      And how the Pac 12 is not going to get Big 12 money...



                      No wonder the UW and Oregon are in talks with the ACC and Big 12...







                      Yeah, the Big 12 may just add Arizona/ASU... Ideally UW/Oregon as well to get that 4th time zone that Commish Yormark has promised.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69706

                        #3911
                        Anyone who quotes that clown MHVER3 should be embarrassed. Come on, guys.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37987

                          #3912
                          Yes, no need for any of these non-insiders.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #3913
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Anyone who quotes that clown MHVER3 should be embarrassed. Come on, guys.
                            Come on... the dude is a great UofU troll! Don't you love how he left out Utah with the following?...

                            "...B12 may have no need for further expansion at this time outside of maybe the AZ schools (because there is value in those markets)."

                            Of course, he is right, you know.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • YOhio
                              Hipster Mode
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26165

                              #3914
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Anyone who quotes that clown MHVER3 should be embarrassed. Come on, guys.
                              Yeah guys only reputable sources when speculating about conference changes.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69706

                                #3915
                                Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                                Come on... the dude is a great UofU troll! Don't you love how he left out Utah with the following?...

                                "...B12 may have no need for further expansion at this time outside of maybe the AZ schools (because there is value in those markets)."

                                Of course, he is right, you know.
                                He has the dumbest schtick. He just makes up random crap day in and day out claiming he has an insider. There is no way on earth a true insider would feed him that much stuff just to see it echoed to the internet. True insiders are not that careless with information because when you have that much real information it is very easy to find out who is spilling it and get them fired.

                                And the vast majority of the stuff he claims is garbage and doesn't pan out. He makes up that constant barrage of insider news so that he covers every possible base so that he can claim a SU-wish. And I am sure "Now I am hearing..." is code for "I read somewhere else on twitter..." It is so transparent I can't believe people fall for it.

                                There is plenty of legit news and opinion about this from respected and legitimate national sportswriters that we don't need to clutter the feed with this Try Hard.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...