No announcement yet.

2023 NFL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At this point it is non-existent, so it could be any of those. It is meant to eliminate kickoffs altogether, so theoretically it would be for the whole game.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      At this point it is non-existent, so it could be any of those. It is meant to eliminate kickoffs altogether, so theoretically it would be for the whole game.
      That was the idea. Instead of kickoffs, have the fourth and long—replacing kickoffs with an inherent punting situation.

Weird as that proposal is, is there anything in football weirder than an onside kick?
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

That was the idea. Instead of kickoffs, have the fourth and long—replacing kickoffs with an inherent punting situation.

Weird as that proposal is, is there anything in football weirder than an onside kick?
        Yeah, I could go for this kind of change. One of the reasons to change the kickoff was to reduce concussions. I think punt plays have a similar level of risk to kickoffs though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Yeah, I could go for this kind of change. One of the reasons to change the kickoff was to reduce concussions. I think punt plays have a similar level of risk to kickoffs though.
          I haven't seen the stats but i would guess that's not correct. On kickoffs you have a wave of 10 players running full speed 40 yards at the blocking setup. In a punt you have a wave of 2 but they are typically covered 1v1, followed by a wave of 5-6. Neither of these punt waves get a straight line, unobstructed sprint to their target because a punt is a scrimmage play so it starts with contact at the LOS with no runup.

Punts probably have more inuries per play than normal scrimmage plays but less than kickoffs. Anyone have the stats to verify?

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

I haven't seen the stats but i would guess that's not correct. On kickoffs you have a wave of 10 players running full speed 40 yards at the blocking setup. In a punt you have a wave of 2 but they are typically covered 1v1, followed by a wave of 5-6. Neither of these punt waves get a straight line, unobstructed sprint to their target because a punt is a scrimmage play so it starts with contact at the LOS with no runup.

Punts probably have more inuries per play than normal scrimmage plays but less than kickoffs. Anyone have the stats to verify?
            Ok, that sounds reasonable. It's probably in between somewhere. It would be interesting to see the stats.

Comment

• I really hope this remains optional.

Comment

• huge dorks

Comment

• Looks like Toad from Mario Cart. Mario Football.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                  X