The OFFICIAL 2009-2010 NBA season thread!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MarkGrace
    Grooveshark dick tease
    • Dec 2008
    • 31546

    #76
    The Hawks are 11-2!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #77
      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      The kid is nasty. Seriously, if he maintains then I think you're going to see other kids circumvent the NCAA by playing pro abroad. Why wouldn't you? If I was a lotto pick out of HS, I'd go play in Europe for a year. I am convinced that a year in the Euroleagues will better prepare you for the competition and rigors of the NBA play and life than any D1 program in the country can.
      The irony being that he had basically become a cautionary tale as to why not to go to Europe. He didn't play well at all in Italy, didn't seem to enjoy it and struggled culturally, many scouts became leery of him, his stock took a significant hit prior to the draft, and fortunately for him the Bucks stepped up because I think most draft sites had him pegged lower. Then he steps foot on the court, blows it up, and suddenly people are talking about going to Europe for a year as the wave of the future.
      Last edited by MarkGrace; 11-20-2009, 09:34 PM.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • FN Phat
        I ♥ gateway sex
        • Feb 2009
        • 8691

        #78
        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        The irony being that he had basically become a cautionary tale as to why not to go to Europe. He didn't play well at all in Italy, didn't seem to enjoy it and struggled culturally, many scouts became leery of him, his stock took a significant hit prior to the draft, and fortunately for him the Bucks stepped up because I think most draft sites had him pegged lower. Then he steps foot on the court, blows it up, and suddenly people are talking about going to Europe for a year as the wave of the future.
        Refresh my memory, Gracie.

        Didn't he originally get accepted to Arizona? Then there was a SAT/ACT scandel. Didn't he take the test twice? The first time he got a really low score and the second he scored very favorably. Maybe I am thinking about someone else.

        There is no doubt that if he was to play in college and get the constant exposure in the US, that he would have went much higher in the draft. I don't think that he had that chance b/c of his SAT score.
        I'm your huckleberry.


        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #79
          Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
          Refresh my memory, Gracie.

          Didn't he originally get accepted to Arizona? Then there was a SAT/ACT scandel. Didn't he take the test twice? The first time he got a really low score and the second he scored very favorably. Maybe I am thinking about someone else.

          There is no doubt that if he was to play in college and get the constant exposure in the US, that he would have went much higher in the draft. I don't think that he had that chance b/c of his SAT score.
          I don't think he ever scored well enough to get into AZ. So I guess Europe might have been his best option. I he also could have gone to a JUCO or maybe another school as a prop 48, but those aren't terribly attractive alternatives.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • FN Phat
            I ♥ gateway sex
            • Feb 2009
            • 8691

            #80
            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            I don't think he ever scored well enough to get into AZ. So I guess Europe might have been his best option. I he also could have gone to a JUCO or maybe another school as a prop 48, but those aren't terribly attractive alternatives.
            Do you think he didn't get much time on the floor in Italy because of talent or due to his youth and inexperience?

            It just seems silly that his team would pay him to play, knowing that it wasn't going to last longer than a year and then not play him that much. And I have a hard time believing that his team in Italy was that much better than the Bucks. Although it is the Bucks!
            I'm your huckleberry.


            "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #81
              Europe is notorious for playing older more established players. Young guys, even those who are top European prospects, rarely get to play. That said, when he did play, he was horrible. He shot 34.1% from the floor and scored just 11.3 points per 40. That versus the 47.7% and 28.5 p/40 that he's putting up in the NBA. It's tough to find a groove when you're not playing consistent minutes, but even at that, given the way he played in Europe, I don't think anyone foresaw the type of transition he's made.

              And don't hate on the Bucks, they're 7-3!
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • FN Phat
                I ♥ gateway sex
                • Feb 2009
                • 8691

                #82
                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                Europe is notorious for playing older more established players. Young guys, even those who are top European prospects, rarely get to play. That said, when he did play, he was horrible. He shot 34.1% from the floor and scored just 11.3 points per 40. That versus the 47.7% and 28.5 p/40 that he's putting up in the NBA. It's tough to find a groove when you're not playing consistent minutes, but even at that, given the way he played in Europe, I don't think anyone foresaw the type of transition he's made.

                And don't hate on the Bucks, they're 7-3!
                Hell, I hated on the Button Bucks when they had Glen "Big Dog" Robinson, Ray Allen, and Sam "I look like ET's cousin" Cassell.
                I'm your huckleberry.


                "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                Comment

                • JohnnyLingo
                  La Naranja
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 3976

                  #83
                  [YOUTUBE]kp53zWynjh4[/YOUTUBE]

                  Interesting video about how defenses were very different during Jordan's day. Whoever put this together didn't do a very good job of clearly stating his point, but if I understand right he's arguing that Jordan is clearly better than anyone today because players like Kobe, LeBron and Wade have bigtime benefits that Michael did not.

                  A.) 3-second rule (not implemented until 2001)

                  B.) Handchecking

                  C.) Big men were allowed to be more physical with their defense.

                  I find the argument pretty compelling. A young Jordan would tear this NBA apart.

                  Comment

                  • JohnnyLingo
                    La Naranja
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3976

                    #84
                    [YOUTUBE]W5O3g4bgjVI[/YOUTUBE]

                    [YOUTUBE]DDDj-i5IjtI[/YOUTUBE]

                    Cannot decide if Ron is insane or a genius.

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37979

                      #85
                      Funny that Kimmel didn't list "recording artist" amongst Artest's interesting accomplishments and factoids.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • FN Phat
                        I ♥ gateway sex
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 8691

                        #86
                        I thought that Artest was great in those vids. He is doing a great job making himself more personable to those around him.
                        I'm your huckleberry.


                        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #87
                          Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                          I thought that Artest was great in those vids. He is doing a great job making himself more personable to those around him.
                          My favorite line was "Coach will probably be giving me a book tomorrow" when asked what jaX would think of his appearance.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • JohnnyLingo
                            La Naranja
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 3976

                            #88
                            Dear LeBron,

                            As you make your decision on where to play next season, let me ask you this:

                            How did it feel to get booted from the playoffs by Orlando last spring? Good?

                            If you decide to hold out for the maximum money you can possibly get, you will experience that feeling a lot more frequently than you should.

                            Take a pay cut. Offer to play for $7 million a year, if the team that signs you also signs Bosh and Wade at reduced rates. Say this team is Oklahoma City. That gives you a starting five of:

                            PG: Wade
                            SG: Durant
                            SF: LeBron
                            PF: Bosh

                            And for the center position, pick up someone like Marcus Camby or Amare, who can opt out of his 2010 contract if he chooses.

                            I will never understand why no NBA star has never done this. If winning is truly everything, then stop going after the dollar signs and make this happen. I guarantee you'll win at least six championships, maybe more if you can run this strategy multiple times over your career.

                            Think about it.

                            Love,

                            JohnnyLingo

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #89
                              I love Rasheed Wallace.

                              Boston Celtics forward Rasheed Wallace peeved at floppers in the NBA - ESPN

                              On getting whistled for his 5th tech of the year when Turkoglu drew a foul on him which he argued.

                              "They've got to know that he's a [darn] flopper. That's all Turkododo do," Wallace said after the Celtics beat the Raptors 116-103. "Flopping shouldn't get you nowhere. He acts like I shot him.

                              "That's not basketball, man. That's not defense. That's garbage, what it is. I'm glad I don't have too much of it left."

                              "Let the Golden Child [LeBron James] do that, or one of the NBA Without Border kids do that, it's all fine and dandy," he said.

                              "This game is watered down, watered down with all that flopping. They're setting rules on us to the point where you're taunting if you dunk on somebody. Paul dunked it and then he didn't say nothing, but it's a tech."
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • JohnnyLingo
                                La Naranja
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 3976

                                #90
                                LeBron makes a fullcourt shot... with a football.

                                http://www.fox8.com/sports/wjw-lebro...,3605620.story

                                Why can't I seem to embed any media but ESPN clips and Youtube videos? Can this be embedded here?

                                Comment

                                Working...