No announcement yet.

"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sad. Minnesota and Cleveland are now heavy hitters in their respective conferences w potential to get a chip. We suck balls and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      I'm sad. Minnesota and Cleveland are now heavy hitters in their respective conferences w potential to get a chip. We suck balls and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
      What other option did the Jazz have though? We ran it back this past year and it failed. It isn't like there would be better results this season.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I'm sad. Minnesota and Cleveland are now heavy hitters in their respective conferences w potential to get a chip. We suck balls and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
        Did you really think they weren't going to trade him? He had become a malcontent and was asking for a trade. His value was only going to go down once the season started. Personally, I like the Knicks offer better, though I'm glad Mitchell isn't getting to go where he wanted.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Did you really think they weren't going to trade him? He had become a malcontent and was asking for a trade. His value was only going to go down once the season started. Personally, I like the Knicks offer better, though I'm glad Mitchell isn't getting to go where he wanted.
          That was my big takeaway from the 2 trades. The Jazz (Ainge) got what they wanted - a ton of picks. The added bonus was sending the 2 dudes who didn't want to be in SLC to two of the worst basketball towns in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

That was my big takeaway from the 2 trades. The Jazz (Ainge) got what they wanted - a ton of picks. The added bonus was sending the 2 dudes who didn't want to be in SLC to two of the worst basketball towns in the league.
            Wrong. Gobert wanted to be in Utah. Just probably not with MItchell.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Wrong. Gobert wanted to be in Utah. Just probably not with MItchell.
              My bad. As you know I only peripherally pay attention to the Jazz. I’m too busy watching the Blazers’ waste another year of their all time best players career.

Comment

• For those wondering what years it is ok to root for Cleveland/Minnesota, I present this decade’s calendar:

2023: 1st round (3): Jazz pick, the twolves pick and the worst of the nets/rockets/sixers pick
                2024: none
                2025: 1st (3), jazz, cavs, twolves
                2026: 1st (1 + potential swaps) Jazz pick plus swaps with cavs or twolves
                2027: 1st (3) jazz, cavs, twolves
                2028: 1st (2 + swap) jazz, twolves, and cavs swap
                2029: 1st (3) jazz, cavs, and twolves (top 5 protected)
                2nd (1) jazz
                Last edited by Applejack; 09-02-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

link?
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

My bad. As you know I only peripherally pay attention to the Jazz. I’m too busy watching the Blazers’ waste another year of their all time best players career.
                    Now there's a dude that wouldn't mind being in Utah. Portland needs to bro up and hand him over.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

What other option did the Jazz have though? We ran it back this past year and it failed. It isn't like there would be better results this season.
                      My assessment of the last few years is we really pushed all our chips to the middle to pick up Conley and round out the roster, and that left us without any picks and consequently any hope of getting better from season to season. It wasn't a bad gamble bc we did have the best record in the league 2 years ago, but then ended up very injured in the playoffs and shit the bed vs the Clippers. That was the beginning of the end. What I heard second hand from a Jazz beat writers' twitter live chat is that the locker room was super toxic last year. Not talking about any Donovan vs. Rudy beef that was mostly made up bc of the covid thing a few years ago, but just a bad situation with players not respecting the coach, etc. I heard one of the chief offenders was Rudy Gay. That surprised me bc he was supposed to be the vet to come in and help steer the ship. Turned out to be the opposite, which explains why he didn't touch the floor in the playoffs. Gobert was apparently the only guy who really acted like he wanted to win. I have no insight as to why Donovan had such a crappy year other than just recovering from his pretty awful ankle injuries from last year and having the wind sucked out of the sails by the loss to the Clippers. Our repeated, frustrating, inexplicable 4th quarter implosions all year long were pretty indicative of the tree rot that was going on. I'm deflated because we lost 2 of the best players we've ever drafted in one off-season. We could have built something really good immediately around either of them this year with the assets gleaned from either trade. Now it looks like we'll be awful for at least 2 or 3 years.

Comment

My assessment of the last few years is we really pushed all our chips to the middle to pick up Conley and round out the roster, and that left us without any picks and consequently any hope of getting better from season to season. It wasn't a bad gamble bc we did have the best record in the league 2 years ago, but then ended up very injured in the playoffs and shit the bed vs the Clippers. That was the beginning of the end. What I heard second hand from a Jazz beat writers' twitter live chat is that the locker room was super toxic last year. Not talking about any Donovan vs. Rudy beef that was mostly made up bc of the covid thing a few years ago, but just a bad situation with players not respecting the coach, etc. I heard one of the chief offenders was Rudy Gay. That surprised me bc he was supposed to be the vet to come in and help steer the ship. Turned out to be the opposite, which explains why he didn't touch the floor in the playoffs. Gobert was apparently the only guy who really acted like he wanted to win. I have no insight as to why Donovan had such a crappy year other than just recovering from his pretty awful ankle injuries from last year and having the wind sucked out of the sails by the loss to the Clippers. Our repeated, frustrating, inexplicable 4th quarter implosions all year long were pretty indicative of the tree rot that was going on. I'm deflated because we lost 2 of the best players we've ever drafted in one off-season. We could have built something really good immediately around either of them this year with the assets gleaned from either trade. Now it looks like we'll be awful for at least 2 or 3 years.
                        I don't blame the Jazz for running it back in 2021-2022. It was the right call. It didn't work though, and it is time to blow it up. I'm bummed to lose Gobert and Mitchell.

I think the real thing that killed the Jazz though is the mess of the 2020 offseason. Bringing Favors back was a huge mistake. The 2020 draft was abysmal in passing on Jaden Daniels and Bane. That ultimately was the beginning of the end.

I don't think the Jazz could have built around Rudy or Mitchell alone. It was the right to call to move both and suck.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Next goal is to get max trade value for Clarkson, Bogey, and Conley and try to be as young and awful as possible in 2022 to give them the best possible shot at Wembanyama.

Comment

Next goal is to get max trade value for Clarkson, Bogey, and Conley and try to be as young and awful as possible in 2022 to give them the best possible shot at Wembanyama.
                            Ha. I think the best possible shot at Wembanyama is trading up with our wealth of newly-acquired assets if the lottery balls inevitably don't bounce our way. Tanking on its own rarely does it unless you're Cleveland.

Comment

• I don't think anyone is trading the #1 pick this year if they land it.

Comment

I don't think anyone is trading the #1 pick this year if they land it.
                                Maybe not. But from what I hear he's not the only prize horse in the race this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X