The 2012-2013 Running Utes of Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Applejack
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 3813

    #211
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    Think back on the great Ute basketball teams of the last 20 years and tell me how many were populated or led by self-absorbed jerks?
    Can I get an irony ruling on this?

    As for players, Josh Grant was a bit of a jerk. Most of the other star players, though, have been pretty nice guys.

    Comment

    • UteStar
      Sexiest Poster in Town
      • Nov 2008
      • 2419

      #212
      Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      Yes that is great that they are helping out, but I'm more concerned about winning basketball games right now. I'll take jerks that can win games, over nice guys that lose right now.

      This years' Ute team will look like a collection of college all stars compared with the team from last year. I can see around 12 wins this coming season. Yep, shockingly bad schedule, but the talent level is improving and much better than last year and that will get them more wins.

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #213
        Originally posted by Applejack View Post
        Can I get an irony ruling on this?

        As for players, Josh Grant was a bit of a jerk. Most of the other star players, though, have been pretty nice guys.
        What I mainly liked about the story was that it made me proud as a Utah hoops fan. Also, the players' actions were spontaneous and reflect the high quality of the people LK is attracting to the program.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • Applejack
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 3813

          #214
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          What I mainly liked about the story was that it made me proud as a Utah hoops fan. Also, the players' actions were spontaneous and reflect the high quality of the people LK is attracting to the program.
          Agreed. I'm rooting for Larry.

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #215
            Originally posted by Applejack View Post
            Can I get an irony ruling on this?

            As for players, Josh Grant was a bit of a jerk. Most of the other star players, though, have been pretty nice guys.
            What did Grant do that made him a jerk? It's been 20+ years and all I remember about him was taking Utah to the Sweet 16.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • Applejack
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 3813

              #216
              I love Grant as a player. But he wasn't the nicest guy in person. I've got no issue with that, though. His run to the sweet sixteen is one of my favorite Ute memories. That Michigan State game was a classic.

              Comment

              • Senioritis
                Mr. Crimson Lover
                • Nov 2008
                • 694

                #217
                I just paid for my season tickets. $468 each.

                I could get my entire family into the cheap seats for like $30 per game, and sit in the seats approximately 2 rows (8 feet) behind my season tickets.

                What in the name of Bill Marcroft is wrong with me?

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #218
                  Originally posted by Senioritis View Post
                  I just paid for my season tickets. $468 each.

                  I could get my entire family into the cheap seats for like $30 per game, and sit in the seats approximately 2 rows (8 feet) behind my season tickets.

                  What in the name of Bill Marcroft is wrong with me?
                  You're mentally ill. It's not going to get better. I know.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #219
                    Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                    This years' Ute team will look like a collection of college all stars compared with the team from last year. I can see around 12 wins this coming season. Yep, shockingly bad schedule, but the talent level is improving and much better than last year and that will get them more wins.
                    I have a feeling they'll win more than 12.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • LA Ute
                      Receiver of Memory
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19512

                      #220
                      Krysko has a dry sense of humor.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden


                      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                      Comment

                      • Top Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 2194

                        #221
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        I have a feeling they'll win more than 12.
                        With this schedule, winning 12 or fewer is unacceptable. It could only mean an equal or worse record in conference play, or several losses to teams we scheduled as wins. Those scenarios don't make for a convincing argument that we're getting better.

                        With two rebuilds under Larry's belt and the weakest non-conference schedule in memory, there's no excuse no to get to 16 regular season wins. That's 10 in the non-con and 6 in league. All things considered, I'd be pleased with such a mark.

                        Comment

                        • ERCougar
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10978

                          #222
                          Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          I love Grant as a player. But he wasn't the nicest guy in person. I've got no issue with that, though. His run to the sweet sixteen is one of my favorite Ute memories. That Michigan State game was a classic.
                          I played with his little brother, who was kind of a punk. Also, completely opposite look from him--tow headed and about 5'6.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                          Comment

                          • SeattleUte
                            Faith crisis consultant
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 20837

                            #223
                            Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                            With this schedule, winning 12 or fewer is unacceptable. It could only mean an equal or worse record in conference play, or several losses to teams we scheduled as wins. Those scenarios don't make for a convincing argument that we're getting better.

                            With two rebuilds under Larry's belt and the weakest non-conference schedule in memory, there's no excuse no to get to 16 regular season wins. That's 10 in the non-con and 6 in league. All things considered, I'd be pleased with such a mark.
                            For once we agree. Fortunately he's assembled a team that at least on paper has the potential to meet our expectations.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                            --Jonathan Swift

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #224
                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              For once we agree. Fortunately he's assembled a team that at least on paper has the potential to meet our expectations.
                              The descent and ascent of Utah basketball has been interesting to watch, and easy to discern. Under Boylen it became increasingly unwatchable, until I couldn't stand to watch any more. Last year's Krysko team was watchable, but in the way a train wreck is watchable. You had to turn your head now and then. I think that this season we will have watchable basketball that actually wins more than 6 games. Progress!
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • Top Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 2194

                                #225
                                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                                The descent and ascent of Utah basketball has been interesting to watch, and easy to discern. Under Boylen it became increasingly unwatchable, until I couldn't stand to watch any more. Last year's Krysko team was watchable, but in the way a train wreck is watchable. You had to turn your head now and then. I think that this season we will have watchable basketball that actually wins a lot more than 6 games. Progress!
                                FIFY

                                Comment

                                Working...