Larry Krystkowiak and the 2011-12 Utah Utes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MartyFunkhouser
    Disciple of RNGesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 18751

    #736
    Originally posted by Flattop View Post
    Boylen got more out of what Giac left him than many Ute fans thought was even possible. Fine, Giac recruited better, but he clearly could not coach.

    Giac didn't get Utah to the Sweet 16, Andrew Bogut did. What Utah accomplished that year was done in spite of Giac, not because of him.

    Giac was in over his head and flat out quit. Boylen may have been in over his head, but he never quit.

    Granted, Boylen should not have said anything to the press about Utah players after being fired.

    Keep bashing Boylen, but it won't change what happens at Utah from this moment on.
    What Boylen did at Utah was substantially worse than quitting on the team. He actively sabotaged the program on his way out. It is amazing that people still want to defend him.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

    Comment

    • Flattop
      Many books, little time
      • Jun 2009
      • 1452

      #737
      Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      What Boylen did at Utah was substantially worse than quitting on the team. He actively sabotaged the program on his way out. It is amazing that people still want to defend him.
      Outside of unwise comments to a media outlet, what exactly did he do?

      Lot's of rumors floating around, but what really happened?
      Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
      Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
      Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

      Comment

      • Top Ute
        Junior Member
        • May 2010
        • 2194

        #738
        Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        This UF.net poster always has good thoughts about basketball. Here's a good post about the Montana State game:

        http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1280641
        I just don't get the whole "improvement" angle. How could this team get any worse? How many of these players that are improving are even going to be back next year (in case you forgot, we're oversigned by 3 and probably aren't done recruiting for next year)? Is it really improvement when you lose by 15 instead of 35? Or is it just a case of the other team not playing that well?

        I just can't buy long-term into this program based on what's happening this year, since Larry is effectively going to blow everything up again next year.

        Comment

        • Topper
          Pre-Historic Man
          • Nov 2011
          • 11764

          #739
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Giac left Boylen something to work with. One of the best post men in the country for one thing. What did Boylen leave? Compare also Lynn Archibald who left Majerus Josh Grant and Jimmie Soto et al.

          Without speculating as to the whys and what fors, just answer that simple question.

          By the measure of who left what behind, Giac is superior to Boylen. Beyond that there is no reason to judge Boylen better than Giac.

          Boylen also never won us an NCAA game. The one thing that we have to be proud of in the past seven years Giacoletti gave us.

          Boylen's snakeoil salesmanship must have worked with all the people who still believe he had any redeeming worth to the U of U, or even that there's a gound to judge him better than Giacoletti.

          When I saw Boylen handing out quotes to the press about where JJ O'Brien was likely to go that was it for me. That was the capstone on an awful tenure at Utah. I saw that not only was Boylen a bad coach, he was also stupid and immoral. What kind of a person would rather leave the worst possible legacy as coach? There is nothing but bad that I can say about the man in terms of his professionalism at Utah. Better to get that disease out of the program asap.
          So if the planned merger/acquisition of BYU by Utah occurs, you should have a coach in the name of Rose.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

          Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #740
            Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
            I just don't get the whole "improvement" angle. How could this team get any worse? How many of these players that are improving are even going to be back next year (in case you forgot, we're oversigned by 3 and probably aren't done recruiting for next year)? Is it really improvement when you lose by 15 instead of 35? Or is it just a case of the other team not playing that well?

            I just can't buy long-term into this program based on what's happening this year, since Larry is effectively going to blow everything up again next year.
            He took over a team with four players, after the recruiting season was essentially over.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • SeattleUte
              Faith crisis consultant
              • Nov 2008
              • 20837

              #741
              Originally posted by Flattop View Post
              Outside of unwise comments to a media outlet, what exactly did he do?

              Lot's of rumors floating around, but what really happened?
              It's direct evidence that he was consulting with O'Brien about leaving Utah. Not that O'Brien wasnt' perfectly entitled to do what he did. Boylen was unprofessional in getting involved in that.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

              --Jonathan Swift

              Comment

              • Blueintheface
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 15382

                #742
                25 pages, SU. I'm impressed.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                Comment

                • Flattop
                  Many books, little time
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 1452

                  #743
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  It's direct evidence that he was consulting with O'Brien about leaving Utah. Not that O'Brien wasnt' perfectly entitled to do what he did. Boylen was unprofessional in getting involved in that.
                  Then you should have no problem finding a link for me.
                  Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                  Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                  Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                  Comment

                  • LA Ute
                    Receiver of Memory
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19512

                    #744
                    Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                    I just don't get the whole "improvement" angle. How could this team get any worse? How many of these players that are improving are even going to be back next year (in case you forgot, we're oversigned by 3 and probably aren't done recruiting for next year)? Is it really improvement when you lose by 15 instead of 35? Or is it just a case of the other team not playing that well?

                    I just can't buy long-term into this program based on what's happening this year, since Larry is effectively going to blow everything up again next year.
                    Sorry, but if you watched that game you saw the younger players running an identifiable offense, and doing it rather well. That alone was pleasing to me. Your approach to Utah hoops 2011 seems to be some variation on primal scream therapy: you're just really ticked off about the state it's in and have nothing good to say, so you are venting continually. Or am I misreading you? I share your disappointment and disgust with what has happened, but I'm also seeing things that at least give me hope for the future - something that has been in short supply for several years now.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden


                    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                    Comment

                    • BGRTHNUMEGO
                      Junior Member
                      • May 2010
                      • 3670

                      #745
                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      Sorry, but if you watched that game you saw the younger players running an identifiable offense, and doing it rather well. That alone was pleasing to me.
                      I know Boylen was horrible. And his offense was oft times even worse. But I've seen several comments here and on other boards about what a good thing it was to see the team running some offensive sets.

                      The questions I have are: 1) Was this not evident the first few games of this season?, and 2) Shouldn't that be viewed as an absolute baseline, no matter how bad things were in the past, and not necessarily anything to provide positive vibes about a current team/coach? It seems like saying a team looks to be going in the right direction because they understand what traveling and double dribble are.

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #746
                        Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                        I know Boylen was horrible. And his offense was oft times even worse. But I've seen several comments here and on other boards about what a good thing it was to see the team running some offensive sets.

                        The questions I have are: 1) Was this not evident the first few games of this season?, and 2) Shouldn't that be viewed as an absolute baseline, no matter how bad things were in the past, and not necessarily anything to provide positive vibes about a current team/coach? It seems like saying a team looks to be going in the right direction because they understand what traveling and double dribble are.
                        Fair questions. To me the offensive progress is only one of many hopeful signs. Since the Giac days I've felt like I'm watching ward ball when watching the Utes play. That has changed markedly. So has the general feel of the program. It's far too early to get very excited, but the early signs are encouraging.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • Top Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 2194

                          #747
                          Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                          Then you should have no problem finding a link for me.
                          The link to the Albuquerque newspaper story is located behind a pay wall. But it's been documented that Boylen was talking about O'Brien and New Mexico to the media. It's not a stretch to put 2 and 2 together.

                          Comment

                          • MartyFunkhouser
                            Disciple of RNGesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 18751

                            #748
                            For the record, I do want to bash Boylen. I haven't quite gotten over the way he destroyed the Ute basketball program and have certainly not gotten his interference with our program after he was fired for failing miserably at his job.

                            Oh and for anyone who doesn't think he failed miserably, look no further than his opening press conference. He said he would be a success if he won a conference title every year as a coach. He delivered one title in 4 years.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

                            Comment

                            • Top Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • May 2010
                              • 2194

                              #749
                              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              Fair questions. To me the offensive progress is only one of many hopeful signs. Since the Giac days I've felt like I'm watching ward ball when watching the Utes play. That has changed markedly. So has the general feel of the program. It's far too early to get very excited, but the early signs are encouraging.
                              See, it's remarks like these that make me wonder if we're more concerned about perceived style over proven substance. Because the offense in Giac's last year was a joy to watch. If shooting 49 percent from the field and 42 percent from 3 is "ward ball," then give me ward ball over what we have now. Under Ray, it was the defense that was an atrocity.

                              When I hear people say, "Well, at least we're running an offense," my first response is, "So what? These guys spend hours every day running an offense, and Larry is no dummy." You might as well and try and give me hope by saying our players hustle and give great effort. It's false praise, at least from the perspective of the fan, and to a player's face, if that's the best thing you can say about them, it's condescending and borderline insulting.

                              Comment

                              • Top Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 2194

                                #750
                                Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                                I know Boylen was horrible. And his offense was oft times even worse. But I've seen several comments here and on other boards about what a good thing it was to see the team running some offensive sets.

                                The questions I have are: 1) Was this not evident the first few games of this season?, and 2) Shouldn't that be viewed as an absolute baseline, no matter how bad things were in the past, and not necessarily anything to provide positive vibes about a current team/coach? It seems like saying a team looks to be going in the right direction because they understand what traveling and double dribble are.
                                Forgive us for having fans deep in the throes of Stockholm Syndrome. We've been battered and abused with so much bad basketball over the years, that we take the absolute basics as signs things are getting better.

                                Comment

                                Working...