2011-2012 BYU Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #691
    I never really agreed with getting rid of Roger Reid.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #692
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I never really agree with getting rid of Roger Reid.
      If Roger Reid had even half the success of Steve Lavin, BYU wouldn't have axed him.

      Why would you be slagging on Lavin, a guy that was a regular to the Sweet Sixteen, yet be high on K, a guy who might win 7 games this year?

      Let's look at Lavin's 7 years at the helm at fucla:

      Year 1: Elite Eight
      Year 2: Sweet 16
      Year 3: First round
      Year 4: Sweet 16
      Year 5: Sweet 16
      Year 6: Sweet 16
      Year 7: losing season, fired.

      Um, ok fucla. good job firing that guy. He was clearly not doing a good job.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #693
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        If Roger Reid had even half the success of Steve Lavin, BYU wouldn't have axed him.

        Why would you be slagging on Lavin, a guy that was a regular to the Sweet Sixteen, yet be high on K, a guy who might win 7 games this year?

        Let's look at Lavin's 7 years at the helm at fucla:

        Year 1: Elite Eight
        Year 2: Sweet 16
        Year 3: First round
        Year 4: Sweet 16
        Year 5: Sweet 16
        Year 6: Sweet 16
        Year 7: losing season, fired.

        Um, ok fucla. good job firing that guy. He was clearly not doing a good job.
        You forgot my final four Lavin story. I actually like him very much.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • Omaha 680
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 11181

          #694
          Tomorrow's Bracketology will apparently still have BYU in.



          I'm not counting on it but we'll see. It's weird waiting a week for selection Sunday.

          Comment

          • Omaha 680
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2011
            • 11181

            #695
            Bracketology is out. We're in as a 12.



            I'm not feeling very confident.

            Comment

            • PaloAltoCougar
              Semper infra dignitatem
              • Nov 2008
              • 16936

              #696
              Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              Bracketology is out. We're in as a 12.



              I'm not feeling very confident.
              I'm surprised BYU isn't even among the last four in. If there are two or fewer conference tourney upset winners, I'm confident BYU's in. But three or more (very possible), it's the NIT.

              Comment

              • Top Ute
                Junior Member
                • May 2010
                • 2194

                #697
                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                I'm surprised BYU isn't even among the last four in. If there are two or fewer conference tourney upset winners, I'm confident BYU's in. But three or more (very possible), it's the NIT.
                This leads me to believe that BYU is really an 11 seed, but Sunday play considerations knock it down to a 12 seed.

                Teams BYU does not want to see lose their conference tournament: Long Beach State, Oral Roberts. Creighton winning the Valley was huge. And any loss by a Big East (UConn, USF, West Virginia, Seton Hall) or a Big 10 (Northwestern) bubble team should be celebrated.

                Ultimately, I think BYU gets in.

                Comment

                • Blueintheface
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 15382

                  #698
                  Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                  This leads me to believe that BYU is really an 11 seed, but Sunday play considerations knock it down to a 12 seed.

                  Teams BYU does not want to see lose their conference tournament: Long Beach State, Oral Roberts. Creighton winning the Valley was huge. And any loss by a Big East (UConn, USF, West Virginia, Seton Hall) or a Big 10 (Northwestern) bubble team should be celebrated.

                  Ultimately, I think BYU gets in.
                  And it could get ugly on Thursday.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                  "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                  Comment

                  • Goatnapper'96
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10924

                    #699
                    Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                    And it could get ugly on Thursday.
                    If this team makes it this year is a big success. Not quite huge but a good success. Given the injuries and the shuffling of the positions Rose has done a really good job. Making the tourney would be good for momentum but unless the opponent plays poorly, I don't see BYU winning.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #700
                      Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      If this team makes it this year is a big success. Not quite huge but a good success. Given the injuries and the shuffling of the positions Rose has done a really good job. Making the tourney would be good for momentum but unless the opponent plays poorly, I don't see BYU winning.
                      I think 25 wins with a team that couldn't shoot straight was a remarkable achievement. I lament not coach Rose' effort but rather what could have been given what we saw in Nov/Dec. I guessed at 20/21 wins but thought we might be at .500 entering 3A play. A nice surprise but we left wins on the court that is for sure.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • Omaha 680
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 11181

                        #701
                        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        If this team makes it this year is a big success. Not quite huge but a good success. Given the injuries and the shuffling of the positions Rose has done a really good job. Making the tourney would be good for momentum but unless the opponent plays poorly, I don't see BYU winning.
                        Well, back when Cleveland was first taking us back to the dance as 11-12 seeds, we faced our share of first round opponents who had guys go nuts on us and have career games. Maybe we're due for a crappy performance by our first round opponent.

                        Comment

                        • Goatnapper'96
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10924

                          #702
                          Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          Well, back when Cleveland was first taking us back to the dance as 11-12 seeds, we faced our share of first round opponents who had guys go nuts on us and have career games. Maybe we're due for a crappy performance by our first round opponent.
                          The key to winning more tourney games is to be there more consistently. Eventually somebody will have a crappy game against you if you are always there.
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

                          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

                          Comment

                          • bluegoose
                            7th round draft pick
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4121

                            #703
                            Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            Well, back when Cleveland was first taking us back to the dance as 11-12 seeds, we faced our share of first round opponents who had guys go nuts on us and have career games. Maybe we're due for a crappy performance by our first round opponent.
                            Gerry Freaking Macnamara!

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #704
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • Top Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 2194

                                #705
                                Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                                And it could get ugly on Thursday.
                                Ugliness begins. Oral Roberts loses in Summit Conference semifinals. Another team to join BYU in a long, long wait until SS.

                                Over/under on ORU and Drexel both making the tournament is 0.5. I think one gets in, but not both.

                                Comment

                                Working...