2011-2012 BYU Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BemidjiCoug
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 466

    #676
    Best article I have seen all season.

    http://www.abc4.com/sports/cbaskm/st...jnCxKCszA.cspx

    Hartsock has become a target of opposing fans, mainly because of his receding hairline. When Hartsock is at the free throw line, fans will chant, "Rogaine, Rogaine!" However, Hartsock thinks its funny.

    "I don't mind at all," the 24-year-old Hartsock said. "Hey, it's a white bald guy out there scoring points."

    Little do they know, Hartsock actually uses Rogaine.

    "It's been helping at least maintain what I still have," he said with a smile. "I think they notice how well it's helped me, so that's why they're chanting it."

    "The fact that he has more hair, more confidence, more shots go in," laughed Abouo.

    "I remind him every game to keep applying his treatment," said Zylstra.
    Last edited by BemidjiCoug; 02-16-2012, 08:52 AM.

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12366

      #677
      [YOUTUBE]4z5TNAptvmM[/YOUTUBE]

      Comment

      • smokymountainrain
        Impressive Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22593

        #678
        Originally posted by CJF View Post
        Thanks, grape.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

        Comment

        • Blueintheface
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 15382

          #679
          I think I predicted this team would win 20 games this year so I still think they've overachieved, but I think the winning in November and December had me believing and hoping for more. As is always the case though, when conference rolled around the teams had more to scout on players and they began really focusing on taking away the inside. Amazingly Noah and Brandon actually increased their output but inexplicably the wide open perimeter shooters forgot how to shoot. The team as a whole hit a wall at St Mary's, completely lost composure, and have been grinding it out ever since, only losing two since that Dec 29th game.

          I know others have questioned Rose's ability to run this team without Rice but I think Rose has done a dang good job considering the loss of such an impact player from last year. My only quibbles with Rose on the season (and who am I to judge) have been a couple of games where he got out-coached defensively and Z's playing time.

          I was somewhat surprised to see that the team is shooting 47% from the field on the year, 43rd nationally. Shocking really considering the shooting struggles from outside (Noah and Brandon have been invaluable obviously, shooting 56% and 49% respectively).

          I know I'm kicking a guy while he's down but it bears repeating; Zylchstra is terrible, both to the naked eye and statistically. On the year he's actually shooting just below the team avg (46%) but is just 28% from the field in his last 7 games and just 8% from 3 including only hitting 1 of his last 23. He has been slowed by a nagging injury but damn that is awful. At least he's third on the team in minutes played...but I digress.

          To be fair the other guards are not exactly setting the world on fire. Winder during the same time period is shooting just 43% and 29%, Cusick 30% and 40%, Abouo 44% and 40%, and Carlino 41% and 21% (including last night ).

          If this team wins out in the regular season and gets at at-large it is one and done with that kind of guard play, plain and simple. Add to that the problem this team has with playing defense on the road and it isn't a recipe for much success in either the WCC tournament nor in the NCAA tournament. At this point I'd be very pleased with a tournament invite and any win would be gravy. All in all a strange but positive season.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

          Comment

          • Omaha 680
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2011
            • 11181

            #680
            Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
            At this point I'd be very pleased with a tournament invite and any win would be gravy.
            Funny how things come full circle. This was my feeling going into the season and I'm back there again.

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21142

              #681
              Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
              I think I predicted this team would win 20 games this year so I still think they've overachieved, but I think the winning in November and December had me believing and hoping for more. As is always the case though, when conference rolled around the teams had more to scout on players and they began really focusing on taking away the inside. Amazingly Noah and Brandon actually increased their output but inexplicably the wide open perimeter shooters forgot how to shoot. The team as a whole hit a wall at St Mary's, completely lost composure, and have been grinding it out ever since, only losing two since that Dec 29th game.

              I know others have questioned Rose's ability to run this team without Rice but I think Rose has done a dang good job considering the loss of such an impact player from last year. My only quibbles with Rose on the season (and who am I to judge) have been a couple of games where he got out-coached defensively and Z's playing time.

              I was somewhat surprised to see that the team is shooting 47% from the field on the year, 43rd nationally. Shocking really considering the shooting struggles from outside (Noah and Brandon have been invaluable obviously, shooting 56% and 49% respectively).

              I know I'm kicking a guy while he's down but it bears repeating; Zylchstra is terrible, both to the naked eye and statistically. On the year he's actually shooting just below the team avg (46%) but is just 28% from the field in his last 7 games and just 8% from 3 including only hitting 1 of his last 23. He has been slowed by a nagging injury but damn that is awful. At least he's third on the team in minutes played...but I digress.

              To be fair the other guards are not exactly setting the world on fire. Winder during the same time period is shooting just 43% and 29%, Cusick 30% and 40%, Abouo 44% and 40%, and Carlino 41% and 21% (including last night ).

              If this team wins out in the regular season and gets at at-large it is one and done with that kind of guard play, plain and simple. Add to that the problem this team has with playing defense on the road and it isn't a recipe for much success in either the WCC tournament nor in the NCAA tournament. At this point I'd be very pleased with a tournament invite and any win would be gravy. All in all a strange but positive season.
              My biggest quibble was with Brock playing any minutes at PG. I'd like to see both Winder and, to a lesser extent, Harrison, get more minutes than they have, mostly at the expense of Brock and Cusick.

              To start the year, I was hopeful that they'd keep the tournament streak alive. That would meet/exceed my expectations for the team this year.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #682
                Some dude on CB claiming Harrison has decided on a mission.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • Blueintheface
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 15382

                  #683
                  Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  Some dude on CB claiming Harrison has decided on a mission.
                  If true, from a purely scholarship situation, that's decent news. From a church perspective, that's great news.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                  "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #684
                    Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                    If true, from a purely scholarship situation, that's decent news. From a church perspective, that's great news.
                    It's great news in my opinion.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #685
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      It's great news in my opinion.
                      Yeah, he needs the maturity associated with a mission and I hope he comes back focused and hungry. I think he wasn't handled perfectly this year but I think he could have handled it a bit better himself. Maybe his MP will allow him to take jump shots an hour a day.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • Non Sequitur
                        Where did I put my bodkin
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5773

                        #686
                        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        Yeah, he needs the maturity associated with a mission
                        He doesn't need maturity nearly as much as he needs a jump shot.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                        Comment

                        • KillerDog
                          a.k.a. K-dog
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 4196

                          #687
                          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          He doesn't need maturity nearly as much as he needs a jump shot.
                          He spent a lot of time his final year of HS working on his jumper. Given the results, I think that was time he should have spent on something else. He needs to learn from Abuou and focus on getting into the paint and getting to the rim. He can play above the rim and should work on being that guy.

                          Comment

                          • Flystripper
                            Degenerate Gambler
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14089

                            #688
                            Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                            He spent a lot of time his final year of HS working on his jumper. Given the results, I think that was time he should have spent on something else. He needs to learn from Abuou and focus on getting into the paint and getting to the rim. He can play above the rim and should work on being that guy.
                            He needs to learn how to play in traffic. His jumper will come with confidence and time.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

                            Comment

                            • Blueintheface
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 15382

                              #689
                              Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              He needs to learn how to play in traffic. His jumper will come with confidence and time.
                              His balance right now is atrocious too, even without contact. In Dave Rose' system you have to be able to shoot in transition (preferably get to the rack) and right now he can't square himself at all. His natural athleticism will win out and he will get better though. Needs to improve his handles though, you're right.
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                              Comment

                              • Donuthole
                                Official Outgayer
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 25268

                                #690
                                So the WCC has a 10-player First Team all conference? Do they give our participation medals to all the other players who didn't make all conference?

                                Also, I'm fine with Dellavedova as POY, but Sacre as Defensive POY is a joke.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                                Comment

                                Working...