bb recruiting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wapiti
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 2064

    #2071
    Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    Who knows, maybe he and Pope just didn't hit it off. But if he does only see himself as a 3 star talent and he's therefore looking for a small pond he can be a big fish in, maybe that isn't ideal for BYU or Pope's style either.
    Maybe he didn't want to cut his hair?

    Comment

    • BlueK
      Senior Member
      • May 2011
      • 7195

      #2072
      Originally posted by wapiti View Post
      Maybe he didn't want to cut his hair?
      That wouldn't make Utah the only choice. Still weird because the team is bad and the coach is hanging from a thread. And he very likely had some even bigger offers coming. Also, if the need to stand out through his hair is that important, it would seem to go along well with the whole wanting to be the big fish in a small pond scenario, which based on the way Pope talks about his program might seem to not be the best fit for a player who thinks that way -- if that's the way he thinks.
      Last edited by BlueK; 08-22-2019, 09:17 AM.

      Comment

      • smokymountainrain
        Impressive Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22593

        #2073
        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
        Why did he pick Utah? This is a really odd choice. I could see why Jordan Loveridge picked Utah but I am really surprised BYU missed on this one.
        Very odd.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

        Comment

        • Goatnapper'96
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10924

          #2074
          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Very odd.
          I just can't grasp why Utah. I would get BYU as he is a legacy kid and likely would be a star right out the gate. Perhaps Utah also has the allure of early playing time/chance to be a star while also being on a bigger platform than BYU, but the program situation at Utah is pretty tenuous. Just makes no sense to me. I would have thought BYU or somewhere where he has a shot of going to the final 4.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

          Comment

          • hostile
            lollygagger
            • Dec 2009
            • 5736

            #2075
            Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            I just can't grasp why Utah. I would get BYU as he is a legacy kid and likely would be a star right out the gate. Perhaps Utah also has the allure of early playing time/chance to be a star while also being on a bigger platform than BYU, but the program situation at Utah is pretty tenuous. Just makes no sense to me. I would have thought BYU or somewhere where he has a shot of going to the final 4.
            I have heard he has a great relationship with Tim LaComb. Tim is good friends with many of Utah’s assistant coaches. Once he was no longer at BYU maybe he encouraged him to look at Utah.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

            "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

            Comment

            • Green Monstah
              Royal Rooter
              • Aug 2010
              • 13972

              #2076
              Originally posted by hostile View Post
              I have heard he has a great relationship with Tim LaComb. Tim is good friends with many of Utah’s assistant coaches. Once he was no longer at BYU maybe he encouraged him to look at Utah.
              I've enjoyed LaComb unchained on Twitter, but I think the way Rose retired left a bad taste in Timmy's mouth, but regardless, he clearly has friends in both places.

              When I was in high school, I think I would have preferred a state-school environment over a BYU environment. That's not intended as a knock on either school, I just viewed BYU as too strict for my personality.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

              Comment

              • frank ryan
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12384

                #2077
                Originally posted by hostile View Post
                I have heard he has a great relationship with Tim LaComb. Tim is good friends with many of Utah’s assistant coaches. Once he was no longer at BYU maybe he encouraged him to look at Utah.
                Maybe, LaCombs always been a BYU fan though. LaComb was so underrated as a recruiter by BYU fans.

                Comment

                • Spicy McHaggis
                  Junior Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 178

                  #2078
                  Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  Maybe, LaCombs always been a BYU fan though. LaComb was so underrated as a recruiter by BYU fans.
                  LaComb was a huge Ute fan. Worked for Majerus and Giac. Was a Ute fan before he worked for Maji.

                  Comment

                  • frank ryan
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12384

                    #2079
                    Originally posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
                    LaComb was a huge Ute fan. Worked for Majerus and Giac. Was a Ute fan before he worked for Maji.

                    I’m aware he worked for them. I’m also aware he was not a fan of Majerus.
                    Last edited by frank ryan; 08-31-2019, 11:34 PM.

                    Comment

                    • BigPiney
                      Huge Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12372

                      #2080
                      Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      I’m aware. I’m also aware he was not a fan of Majerus.
                      Well he shouldn't be. Majerus was a POS.

                      Comment

                      • Green Monstah
                        Royal Rooter
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 13972

                        #2081
                        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        Well he shouldn't be. Majerus was a POS.
                        Summon JiC.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                        "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                        Comment

                        • BlueK
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2011
                          • 7195

                          #2082
                          Maddy Sissoko has us in his final 4, just announced today, along with Michigan St., Kansas and Memphis. Nationally most expect he'll pick Michigan State, which is understandable. Pope is said to have a great relationship with his parents who live in Mali and that they really like the BYU environment for him as a practicing Muslim. Michigan of course has a huge Muslim community, so I'm sure that plays into it for him, along with the basketball reasons to go there. It would be quite the steal for us if we can get him. He's supposed to announce his choice on Tuesday. But there is no way I'm going to watch it live on ESPN if those are his plans. I don't know if he's doing that or not. BYU never gets picked when that happens. I'd rather just read about it later.

                           Wasatach Academy big man and four-star center Mady Sissoko released his final four schools today. BYU made the cut along with Michigan State, Memphis, and Kansas.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 09-06-2019, 10:46 AM.

                          Comment

                          • Topper
                            Pre-Historic Man
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 11764

                            #2083
                            Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                            Maddy Sissoko has us in his final 4, just announced today, along with Michigan St., Kansas and Memphis. Nationally most expect he'll pick Michigan State, which is understandable. Pope is said to have a great relationship with his parents who live in Mali and that they really like the BYU environment for him as a practicing Muslim. Michigan of course has a huge Muslim community, so I'm sure that plays into it for him, along with the basketball reasons to go there. It would be quite the steal for us if we can get him. He's supposed to announce his choice on Tuesday. But there is no way I'm going to watch it live on ESPN if those are his plans. I don't know if he's doing that or not. BYU never gets picked when that happens. I'd rather just read about it later.

                            https://247sports.com/college/byu/Ar...ko--135234970/
                            I expect Michigan State, just because we have never won these big battles, but if there is a legitimate chance to sign a big time player, Mady would be the one.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                            Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                            Comment

                            • BigFatMeanie
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7119

                              #2084
                              From the 247 article:

                              Sissoko, as you may recall, officially visited BYU at the end of July. While he was on that visit, he suffered a hand injury while riding an ATV for an activity. Currently, the hope is that the hand injury won't sideline Sissoko for his entire senior season, but he's not out of the woods yet.
                              Doesn't this make 4-5 recruits, including football, to have suffered injuries on official visits over the past few years? The first one I remember was Manaia Brown but I believe there have been 2 or 3 others since then. At what point should we start to worry about a trend?

                              Comment

                              • wapiti
                                Junior Member
                                • Apr 2012
                                • 2064

                                #2085
                                Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                                Maddy Sissoko has us in his final 4, just announced today, along with Michigan St., Kansas and Memphis. Nationally most expect he'll pick Michigan State, which is understandable. Pope is said to have a great relationship with his parents who live in Mali and that they really like the BYU environment for him as a practicing Muslim. Michigan of course has a huge Muslim community, so I'm sure that plays into it for him, along with the basketball reasons to go there. It would be quite the steal for us if we can get him. He's supposed to announce his choice on Tuesday. But there is no way I'm going to watch it live on ESPN if those are his plans. I don't know if he's doing that or not. BYU never gets picked when that happens. I'd rather just read about it later.

                                https://247sports.com/college/byu/Ar...ko--135234970/
                                I know someone close to this one. It's between BYU and Michigan State and he thinks it could go either way.

                                Comment

                                Working...