bb recruiting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HBCoug
    Peanut Gallery Asshat
    • Dec 2008
    • 2082

    #2116
    Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
    I don't have low self esteem! BYU has, what, five guys in recent years who were in the ESPN top 100 at some point: Mika, Haws, Emery, Dastrup, and Childs? I think Dastrup is by far the most likely to not live up to expectations based on nothing more than watching the kid's highlights. He's lumbering and not nearly as athletic as guys he'll be going up against at the PF spot outside of WCC play -- and I don't need a linked clip of him in a dunk contest at 6'9" dunking with no one guarding him as proof to the contrary. I think the short-term future of BYU hoops is very bright, but I don't think Dastrup will be a big reason why. Happy to be wrong about the kid.
    Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
    Calling my shot now: Dastrup will be a bust. I'm not saying he won't get rotational minutes and contribute in some ways. But we'll scratch our heads that he was an ESPN top 100 kid who was committed to Ohio State.
    SU-issssh!

    Comment

    • BlueK
      Senior Member
      • May 2011
      • 7191

      #2117
      Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
      SU-issssh!
      I don't think lack of talent was his problem.

      Comment

      • Bo Diddley
        Senior
        • Jul 2012
        • 18789

        #2118
        Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        I don't think lack of talent was his problem.
        He seemed a little unhinged mentally. I wish we could have kept him at BYU. I think he could have developed into a pretty good player.

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #2119
          Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          I don't think lack of talent was his problem.
          It was one of his problems. He just wasn’t that good.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • Bo Diddley
            Senior
            • Jul 2012
            • 18789

            #2120
            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            It was one of his problems. He just wasn’t that good.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            He showed flashes. Too bad we'll never know.

            Comment

            • HBCoug
              Peanut Gallery Asshat
              • Dec 2008
              • 2082

              #2121
              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              It was one of his problems. He just wasn’t that good.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Right. When you can't play a guy because he's a turnstyle on defense due to being really slow and cemented to the ground because of poor conditioning, it does speak to talent somewhat. I suppose there would have been a place for Payton as a Jared Dudley type where you space the floor with him for a couple open corner 3 looks per game, but there's that whole problem of having to run back and defend the other side of the floor. That doesn't really fit the profile of a top 100 National recruit with offers from Kansas, Arizona, OSU, et al. He was on the BYU roster when we were so devoid of talent, we had to start and play Luke Worthington in meaningful frontcourt minutes.

              Comment

              • wapiti
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2012
                • 2064

                #2122
                Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                He showed flashes. Too bad we'll never know.
                Actually, we do know.

                Comment

                • Goatnapper'96
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10924

                  #2123
                  Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                  Actually, we do know.
                  Roger, the guy was buried at the depth chart at Oregon State. Clearly, nobody other than a few BYU fans who overrate him being really good at "horse" one day against Utah are still wondering. The data and evidence is pretty clear- nobody he has played for at the college level thought enough of him to put him in the game very often or for very long.

                  Whatever the reason lets just accept that he isn't very good.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

                  I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

                  Comment

                  • originalsocal
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 1632

                    #2124
                    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    Roger, the guy was buried at the depth chart at Oregon State. Clearly, nobody other than a few BYU fans who overrate him being really good at "horse" one day against Utah are still wondering. The data and evidence is pretty clear- nobody he has played for at the college level thought enough of him to put him in the game very often or for very long.

                    Whatever the reason lets just accept that he isn't very good.
                    I take him for my Ward team. We are awesome!

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69687

                      #2125
                      Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                      SU-issssh!
                      Good call.

                      I feed bad for him. Seems like a good guy.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • myboynoah
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 21719

                        #2126
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Good call.

                        I feed bad for him. Seems like a good guy.
                        If nothing more, he made us feel good about ourselves and BYU Basketball for a time, so I give him credit for that.

                        Yes, he did seem like a good guy. We need more good guys in the world.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                        Comment

                        • LiveCoug
                          LA Ute loves me
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 18488

                          #2127
                          A large fellow called Matt Haarms is a grad transfer from Purdue. We are in his top three (with Kentucky and Texas Tech) and the buzz out there is that he will be coming to Provo.

                          Comment

                          • BigPiney
                            Huge Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12365

                            #2128
                            Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                            A large fellow called Matt Haarms is a grad transfer from Purdue. We are in his top three (with Kentucky and Texas Tech) and the buzz out there is that he will be coming to Provo.
                            We find out tomorrow.

                            Comment

                            • Donuthole
                              Official Outgayer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 25266

                              #2129
                              Lefty with a nice looking stroke and good touch around the basket. Consider me intrigued.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                              Comment

                              • Art Vandelay
                                Striving for mediocrity
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 10516

                                #2130
                                Haarms committed. Based upon Twitter (which you can always trust!) it sounds like this was all about Pope being able to close the deal with the Boilermaker. I don't know is Pope is long for Provo or not, but he is the most excited I've been about a coach since Crowton's first year.

                                Comment

                                Working...