BYU Basketball 25-26: The AJ Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Joe Public
    8.1 YPC
    • Apr 2011
    • 8533

    #346
    This is great. Crush these guys.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

    Comment

    • byufan4ever
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2023
      • 703

      #347
      We gonna beat Wisconsin by more than we beat Delaware lol.
      "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

      Comment

      • byufan4ever
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2023
        • 703

        #348
        Get Staton out there. He really needs some minutes.
        "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

        Comment

        • Joe Public
          8.1 YPC
          • Apr 2011
          • 8533

          #349
          WISC got McGregored!
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

          "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69742

            #350
            Holy cow, what a win.

            If our bench plays like that, we are going to have a helluva year.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • PaloAltoCougar
              Semper infra dignitatem
              • Nov 2008
              • 16939

              #351
              It was nice to have Richie back on track, but Mboup and Diomande were probably the biggest difference makers. Great contributions by freshmen no less.

              Comment

              • BigPiney
                Huge Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12374

                #352
                Originally posted by byufan4ever View Post
                Get Staton out there. He really needs some minutes.
                I loved the minutes he got against UConn

                Comment

                • SteelBlue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8190

                  #353
                  That may have been the most dominant win against a high-quality opponent by a BYU bball team in my entire fandom (started caring around 1986). Can any of you other old heads think of a better one?

                  Comment

                  • PaloAltoCougar
                    Semper infra dignitatem
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 16939

                    #354
                    Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    That may have been the most dominant win against a high-quality opponent by a BYU bball team in my entire fandom (started caring around 1986). Can any of you other old heads think of a better one?
                    This was better, although Danny Ainge and the 6-seed Cougars destroying 3-seed UCLA 78-55 is close. That was 1981, I'm sure everyone remembers that.

                    Comment

                    • byufan4ever
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2023
                      • 703

                      #355
                      Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                      That may have been the most dominant win against a high-quality opponent by a BYU bball team in my entire fandom (started caring around 1986). Can any of you other old heads think of a better one?
                      In the 2021-2022 season we beat Oregon 81-49. They weren't ranked, but it was a "neutral" game in Portland (basically Oregon's backyard), and Oregon finished the season 20-15 (11-9).
                      "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

                      Comment

                      • Joe Public
                        8.1 YPC
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 8533

                        #356
                        Originally posted by byufan4ever View Post

                        In the 2021-2022 season we beat Oregon 81-49. They weren't ranked, but it was a "neutral" game in Portland (basically Oregon's backyard), and Oregon finished the season 20-15 (11-9).
                        I remember that game - it was great. I’m pretty sure Oregon was in the top 15 at the time the game was played.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                        "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                        Comment

                        • byufan4ever
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2023
                          • 703

                          #357
                          Very nice game from start to finish for a quality Q1 win!
                          • I don't remember the exact number, but they said that offensive players only hit like 15% of their shots against AJ when he's guarding them. That's elite level of man defending!
                          • AJ does struggle with rotations and help defense and Wisconsin got at least one easy basket that AJ was at fault for
                          • RWIII could double his PPG if he could hit like 60-70% of his layups...
                          • We did much better job of rebounding in the second half
                          • Baker was solid and I personally don't have a problem with him dribbling
                          • I want to see us run some plays for AJ where we screen or double screen him to get him open. He had a little bit of trouble trying to fly past Wisconsin's bigs one-on-one
                          • I liked seeing Mboup and Diomande get 15+ minutes, Diomande has a good looking 3P shot, but I don't think he's hit one yet this season. But I like his athleticism, energy, and steals
                          Player of the Game awards:
                          • PER: Richie Saunders. This is still his team, baby! 26 points on 74.7% TS% is great.
                          • GSc: Also Saunders
                          • TS%: Baker - 2/4 form 3P and 2/2 from inside the arc. He's not just a 3P specialist.
                          • ORtg: Dybansta - he was very efficient from the line. I love the improvement that he's already made in that area.
                          • DRtg: Keita - he only played 15 minutes, but for the most part he was able to shut down Wisc's bigs in the paint
                          • Super Sub: Kostic - new award for players playing between 3-14 minutes, goes to highest PER/Min. Sure it was garbage time, but Kostic looked better than Mrus.
                          Struggled to Perform awards:
                          • PER: Tyler Mrus - He did finally hit 2 3s, but he was largely disappointing for 20 minutes of play. I actually don't recall him being out on the floor that much...
                          • GSc: Also Mrus
                          • TS%: RWIII - see earlier comment about making layups
                          • ORtg: Mrus
                          • DRtg: Baker
                          Next game is against Miami on Thanksgiving Day! They are a much improved team this season They are currently 4-1 and #52 in Kenpom. This is a borderline Q1/Q2 game on a neutral floor.

                          4 Wisc.png
                          "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

                          Comment

                          • byufan4ever
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2023
                            • 703

                            #358
                            Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

                            I remember that game - it was great. I’m pretty sure Oregon was in the top 15 at the time the game was played.
                            I looked it up and they were #12 at the time. They definitely fell off after that game although they weren't exactly horrible, they weren't the top 12 team everyone thought they were early in the season.
                            "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69742

                              #359
                              Dawson Baker with another solid game. Haha.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • SteelBlue
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8190

                                #360
                                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                                This was better, although Danny Ainge and the 6-seed Cougars destroying 3-seed UCLA 78-55 is close. That was 1981, I'm sure everyone remembers that.
                                I was 11 but not mature enough to sit through games. I remember my dad telling me how good Ainge was but I really only remember the NBA version of Danny.

                                Comment

                                Working...