Originally posted by SeattleUte
View Post
2022-2023 Basketball Season
Collapse
X
-
They should have killed the lawyers first."I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
- Goatnapper'96
-
His rebounding and hustle earned the team five additional possessions a game. No other player offered that.Originally posted by Pelado View Post
When a guy starts out 0-for-1000 shooting and, when not hoisting airballs and bricks, is turning the ball over willy-nilly, it might be appropriate to try having him come off the bench.
I don't know if Pope broke Lohner, but he was not good offensively this past season.
Comment
-
That is the definition of "coaching" ... otherwise, why have a coaching staff or practice at all?Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Confidence killer? Pope didn't bench him soon enough and gave him the green light to shoot 3's til the end. Lohner failed because he wasn't a very good player, not because Pope crushed his soul. Lohner did one thing well. Rebound. He had no perimeter game. No mid-range game. No post moves. Got more shots blocked for a guy his size than I've ever seen. He didn't play great defense, and he wasn't a great passer. I don't see how any of that is Pope's fault.
Comment
-
Agree. I don't enjoy this new trend. But it is what it is.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostOne of the pleasures of college basketball is watching players develop. How many times have I seen a player suck as a freshman and help the team soar when he becomes a real adult. This is why this culture of transfer is poison. There's nothing good about it. Nothing.
Pope has been above average in working the transfer portal. I'm not happy about losing Lohner. But I'd like to see who he lands before I give my verdict.
I disagree with SU on the specific take on Pope. I agree re: the new transfer portal era. I hate what this does for college BB. Half of why BYU was unwatchable for me last year was because all our players are new. You're more invested in a team as a fan and it's more enjoyable when you follow your players from recruitment and growing in the system. Guy like Haarms comes in for a year and feels like a mercenary not your guy. That is going to become the rule more than the exception.
Comment
-
The transfer portal is one way championships are created. The nucleus is important for today's championship teams, but so is the transfer portal:Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
It's not possible to build a great program and have to change out the team every season. Sheesh. Just look at the programs that succeed and the ones that don't. Key player transfers are program killers. Yes, the rules are different now. But great coaches will learn to manage the system and keep their returning nucleui intact.
The Jayhawks are heavy on upperclassmen thanks to home-grown development and, of course, the transfer portal
Comment
-
Why would that be deemed impossible? Storied program from the Pac 12. In all actuality, it should be easy to recruit to the University of Utah.Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
Smith has already accomplished what has been thought to be impossible at Utah. He has retained the players everyone agrees are desirable, and he's successfully added players from Wasatch Academy.
Comment
-
Duh. My point is you still need continuity and a system that players buy into.Originally posted by jadesroom View Post
The transfer portal is one way championships are created. The nucleus is important for today's championship teams, but so is the transfer portal:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...al-to-get-old/
https://wacotrib.com/sports/college/...5f0ca19ab.html
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...ransfer-portalWhen a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
--Jonathan Swift
Comment
-
I never thought it was impossible. I was ridiculing Krystkowiak's apologists.Originally posted by jadesroom View Post
Why would that be deemed impossible? Storied program from the Pac 12. In all actuality, it should be easy to recruit to the University of Utah.When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
--Jonathan Swift
Comment
-
Great news. I like Gideon.Originally posted by BigPiney View PostGideon George has decided to return to BYU. That is good news."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
Lohner received the same coaching that Fous received. There is only so much a coach can do.Originally posted by tooblue View Post
That is the definition of "coaching" ... otherwise, why have a coaching staff or practice at all?
"The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane
Comment

Comment