2022-2023 Basketball Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022-2023 Basketball Season

Roster is in flux still. Hunter Ericson and Nate Hansen are both in portal. Perhaps there will be more. Pretty much every portal entry from other schools seems to have BYU interested. No clue yet other than the JC PG, Sean East, of who BYU is really recruiting and who is really interested in BYU.

Next seasons scholarship players at present:

Dallin Hall-FR
    Tanner Toolsen-FR
    Richie Saunders-FR
    Trey Stewart - SO
    Atiki - SO
    Fouss Traore-SO
    Caleb Lohner JR(C)
    Trevin Knell- SR (C)
    Spencer Johnson - SR (C)
    Gideon George - SR
    Seneca Knight - SR

Without anyone else moving on there is room for 2 more additions. I still look at those top 3 and wonder about the scholarship management in having 3 of your perimeter players all true freshman RMs in the same year. My guess is either Knight or Gideon move on and BYU goes after 2 bigs in portal and a PG.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Didn't Seneca Knight already enter the portal? I hear he scrubbed everything byu-related from his social media.

He has been a bust, imo.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That's a scary bad roster.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Didn't Seneca Knight already enter the portal? I hear he scrubbed everything byu-related from his social media.

He has been a bust, imo.
        I don't believe he has officially yet. I saw his twitter and he had a couple of pictures of himself playing in games for BYU. I don't know what he scrubbed or not but I do think he is the most likely to move on.

I think bust is a strong term. But he hasn't played like the all MWC player he was at SJSU 2 years prior. I like grad transfers better than unhappy transfers but BYU is probably closer to beggar than chooser.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I tweaked the title.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
            That's a scary bad roster.
            It won't be bad but without some big time help it won't be good either. Bad was BYU in 2004-2005.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

It won't be bad but without some big time help it won't be good either. Bad was BYU in 2004-2005.
              Who are our bigs? I see Fous and Atiki, but Fous is really a 4 and Atiki is still raw. If either of them go down, where are we at? It seems like most of our guys play the same position.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Who are our bigs? I see Fous and Atiki, but Fous is really a 4 and Atiki is still raw. If either of them go down, where are we at? It seems like most of our guys play the same position.
                Right now they are Fouss, Atiki and Lohner. My guess is they add 2 more and perhaps they find somebody significantly better, but my guess is that 50 of the 80 mpg available to the 2 post positions go to Fous and Lohner.

I think both will be better next year. Admittedly, I think Lohner can be a much more consistent and better player than you think he can. But I think BYU's ceiling next year isn't much higher than where they finished this year. I am the least optimistic I have been for any Pope team, but I still expect them to be in some form of contention for an NCAA bid late in the year.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

bigs aren't the problem with that roster. guards/wings who can create for themselves and teammates is the glaring problem with that group. granted, somebody like Hall or Saunders could surprise in that role as a frosh - but they are indeed freshmen so that is highly unlikely. it's a team that probably wins 15-20 games by winning a lot of ugly games unless pope adds a scorer via the portal.
                  Last edited by smokymountainrain; 04-06-2022, 01:20 PM.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Sorry, Napper, but Lohner isn't really a big. In my opinion there isn't a legitimate center on that roster and, unlike SMR, I think the lack of real bigs are a problem. Especially if we take Pope's assertion this season, that the offense runs through the center, at face value.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      Sorry, Napper, but Lohner isn't really a big. In my opinion there isn't a legitimate center on that roster and, unlike SMR, I think the lack of real bigs are a problem. Especially if we take Pope's assertion this season, that the offense runs through the center, at face value.
                      i shouldn't have said it that way. bigs are an issue. i see the lack of anybody who can create as a bigger issue. as it turns out this team is in trouble if they don't get some impact transfers.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

i shouldn't have said it that way. bigs are an issue. i see the lack of anybody who can create as a bigger issue. as it turns out this team is in trouble if they don't get some impact transfers.
                        On the team as presently constituted being in trouble we are in 100% agreement.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JacobCHatch/stat...M0JgX6QZBVo-2Q

Can't get the embedded tweet to work, but Lohner and George in the portal
                          Last edited by tooblue; 04-18-2022, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Lohner back to Utah with Burgess, certainly. This blows. Burgess will probably be able to get Chandler to reconsider his BYU commitment now too.

That move was a huge deal.

It'll be interesting to see if Pope can handle this

Comment

Burgess, the recruiting gift that just keeps on giving. Somewhere Roger Reid is smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X