Glenn Beck in Hot Water

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69703

    #46
    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    And Lebowski, you are seriously disappointing me in this thread.
    That's OK. I don't care. In fact, I am completely indifferent to your opinion of me.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #47
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      That's OK. I don't care. In fact, I am completely indifferent to your opinion of me.
      Oh, I know. I just thought maybe you had higher standards for yourself.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #48
        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        Seriously, all of this libel without any arguments backing it up is getting embarrassing.

        Show some brains, Jarid, Jeff. Participate in the discussion instead of throwing peanut shells from the balcony.
        You watch your mouth, punk.

        JeffLebowski runs on air. Literally.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69703

          #49
          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
          It's politically incorrect to call a black man a racist, no?
          I have no problem with it if it is warranted. But that is a far cry from saying that the Beck is doing what the media should be doing, but for lack of courage.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37986

            #50
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            Tell me why you believe that hate is the opposite of love., so I can have a better understanding of why you would believe that.
            I'll do it.

            Love and hate are on the same spectrum. Love is feeling at one end of that spectrum. Hate is an intense feeling at the other end of the spectrum. They both involve caring about the subject that is loved or hated.

            Indifference is the opposite of caring. Love and Hate are merely subfeelings subsumed by the term caring.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69703

              #51
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              I'll do it.

              Love and hate are on the same spectrum. Love is feeling at one end of that spectrum. Hate is an intense feeling at the other end of the spectrum. They both involve caring about the subject that is loved or hated.

              Indifference is the opposite of caring. Love and Hate are merely subfeelings subsumed by the term caring.
              Wouldn't indifference be at the middle of the spectrum?
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #52
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I have no problem with it if it is warranted. But that is a far cry from saying that the Beck is doing what the media should be doing, but for lack of courage.
                I didn't mean to imply that the media should be doing it. That's my fault.

                I only meant that the media doesn't have the guts to be politically incorrect.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • JohnnyLingo
                  La Naranja
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 3976

                  #53
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Indifference is the opposite of caring. Love and Hate are merely subfeelings subsumed by the term caring.
                  You know how in life, when a guy and a girl argue all the time, that means they'll eventually sleep together?

                  How many times do you see a guy and a girl completely and utterly ignore each other and have zero regard for the other's existence, then sleep together?

                  Comment

                  • il Padrino Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19161

                    #54
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    You know how in life, when a guy and a girl argue all the time, that means they'll eventually sleep together?

                    How many times do you see a guy and a girl completely and utterly ignore each other and have zero regard for the other's existence, then sleep together?
                    Besides a hooker and a john?
                    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37986

                      #55
                      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                      Seriously, all of this libel without any arguments backing it up is getting embarrassing.

                      Show some brains, Jarid, Jeff. Participate in the discussion instead of throwing peanut shells from the balcony.
                      Part of the problem, Lingo, is that you DEMAND proof for every statement made on this board. Sometimes people just have opinions, and sometimes those opinions are made up of things they once heard but have now forgot. And sometimes they're just made up.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Pheidippides
                        Liberal Feminazi
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14759

                        #56
                        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                        You know how in life, when a guy and a girl argue all the time, that means they'll eventually sleep together?

                        How many times do you see a guy and a girl completely and utterly ignore each other and have zero regard for the other's existence, then sleep together?
                        You are not familiar with the concept of casual anonymous sex, are you? It's all the rage in the big city, you know.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37986

                          #57
                          Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                          You know how in life, when a guy and a girl argue all the time, that means they'll eventually sleep together?

                          How many times do you see a guy and a girl completely and utterly ignore each other and have zero regard for the other's existence, then sleep together?
                          I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37986

                            #58
                            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            You are not familiar with the concept of casual anonymous sex, are you? It's all the rage in the big city, you know.
                            Is that related to casual, anonymous STDs? I've heard of "raging" cases of that, too.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #59
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Wouldn't indifference be at the middle of the spectrum?
                                It comes from a common thought shared in christian circles (and used by Marvin J Ashton in a prior conference) stating that the opposite of love is apathy, not hate.

                                It is basically an attempt to wax philosophical. If you notice, we don't receive much teaching on apathy as the opposite of love.

                                On any standardized test asking for antonyms, you would fail if you cited "apathy" to be the opposite of "love," as the commonly accepted opposite is clearly "hate."

                                black/white
                                pleasure/pain
                                good/evil
                                top/bottom
                                love/hate

                                I guess it is a somewhat entertaining nuance.

                                I am sure that when Marvin J Ashton's grandkids were taking the ACT or SAT, he counseled them to answer that the opposite of "love" was "apathy."
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...