Glenn Beck in Hot Water

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69676

    #1

    Glenn Beck in Hot Water

    for calling Obama a racist:



    This guy is so nuts that he is actually quite entertaining.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #2
    Is there any conceivable situation where Beck could be correct, Jeff?

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69676

      #3
      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
      Is there any conceivable situation where Beck could be correct, Jeff?
      lol. Sure. Lots of them.

      What a dumb question.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #4
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        lol. Sure. Lots of them.

        What a dumb question.
        C'mon. As an academic you know there is no such thing as a dumb question.

        Comment

        • DU Ute
          RIP CUF
          • Dec 2008
          • 7393

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          lol. Sure. Lots of them.

          What a dumb question.
          So Obama IS a racist! Gotcha!!!
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

          Comment

          • JohnnyLingo
            La Naranja
            • Nov 2008
            • 3976

            #6
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            lol. Sure. Lots of them.

            What a dumb question.
            Well, so much for playing nice.

            So... why the derision aimed at Beck? Have you listened to his reasoning as to why he said what he did?

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #7
              Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
              Well, so much for playing nice.

              So... why the derision aimed at Beck? Have you listened to his reasoning as to why he said what he did?
              Beck is on the extreme. Shot's at the extremist right get more coverage.

              Extremists to the left are often thought of as "intellectuals" and are kin to the elite media, so they get less harsh treatment for their idiocies.

              Both extremes have messed up ideas, IMHO. Take a look at Finderson on one hand and ex-ute on the other.

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69676

                #8
                Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                Well, so much for playing nice.
                Oh come on. Lighten up, my young amigo.

                Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                So... why the derision aimed at Beck? Have you listened to his reasoning as to why he said what he did?
                No I haven't. Perhaps the quote was taken entirely out of context. But unless it is something along the lines of "I would have to be a f***ing lunatic to claim that Obama has 'a deep-seated hatred for white people'," then I am voting crazy.
                Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 08-24-2009, 09:15 AM.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69676

                  #9
                  Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  C'mon. As an academic you know there is no such thing as a dumb question.
                  Yes. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people.

                  DISCLAIMER: This was not directed at Lingo. I just have a compulsive need to use that line whenever I can.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • JohnnyLingo
                    La Naranja
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3976

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    No I haven't. Perhaps the quote was taken entirely out of context. But unless it is something along the lines of "I would have to be f***ing lunatic to claim that Obama has 'a deep-seated hatred for white people'," then I am voting crazy.
                    Fair enough. You're letting your bias control you. Any time you are not interested in hearing what the other side has to say, you're in a dangerous spot, IMO.

                    How much of your opinion is influenced by the fact that President Obama is black? If Michael Moore had said President Bush has a deep-seated hatred for black people, would you be as quick to jump on him?

                    Oh wait, something similar happened already. And the Color of Change group, the one demanding advertisers stop supporting Beck's show, were all over that, selling t-shirts that said "Kanye Was Right!"

                    Comment

                    • RC Vikings
                      Known Heterosexual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8789

                      #11
                      On my ride home I use to split time between Beck and ESPN radio but I can't stand listening to him anymore. My time is better spent listening to Doug Gottlieb anymore.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69676

                        #12
                        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                        Fair enough. You're letting your bias control you. Any time you are not interested in hearing what the other side has to say, you're in a dangerous spot, IMO.

                        How much of your opinion is influenced by the fact that President Obama is black? If Michael Moore had said President Bush has a deep-seated hatred for black people, would you be as quick to jump on him?

                        Oh wait, something similar happened already. And the Color of Change group, the one demanding advertisers stop supporting Beck's show, were all over that, selling t-shirts that said "Kanye Was Right!"
                        What? You mean to tell me there are crazy lefties too? Whodathunk?

                        If anyone claimed that Bush has a deep-seated hatred for black people, then they are nuts too.

                        So what do you think about this particular quote, Lingo? Do you agree with Beck?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • JohnnyLingo
                          La Naranja
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 3976

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          If anyone claimed that Bush has a deep-seated hatred for black people, then they are nuts too.

                          So what do you think about this particular quote, Lingo? Do you agree with Beck?
                          Here are Beck's points, since you can't be bothered to Google.

                          1. He sat in a pew and listened to Jeremiah Wright every week for 20 years. He maintains that you cannot do that sort of thing without being influenced by it.

                          2. Obama's immediate response to the Gates arrest story. To conclude that the police "acted stupidly" before all the facts were known strongly implies that he immediately judged the white police officer to be at fault because he is white and Gates is black.

                          3. His comments about white people clinging to their guns and their religion. Speaks for itself.

                          If Beck had tossed off an "Obama is racist" remark without any reason whatsoever, then yeah, he'd be an idiot. But that is not what this is, and the backlash he's receiving has everything to do with the fact that in America, non-whites cannot be racist. It's a ridiculous idea (as you said), but many, many people believe it, and as such, what matters here is not whether Beck has good reasons for saying what he did, but the color of President Obama's skin.

                          And that, ironically, is racist.

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            Kanye West never said that Bush hated black people. He said,

                            "George Bush doesn't care about black people."



                            In my mind "hates" > "doesn't care about."
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69676

                              #15
                              Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                              Here are Beck's points, since you can't be bothered to Google.

                              1. He sat in a pew and listened to Jeremiah Wright every week for 20 years. He maintains that you cannot do that sort of thing without being influenced by it.

                              2. Obama's immediate response to the Gates arrest story. To conclude that the police "acted stupidly" before all the facts were known strongly implies that he immediately judged the white police officer to be at fault because he is white and Gates is black.

                              3. His comments about white people clinging to their guns and their religion. Speaks for itself.

                              If Beck had tossed off an "Obama is racist" remark without any reason whatsoever, then yeah, he'd be an idiot. But that is not what this is, and the backlash he's receiving has everything to do with the fact that in America, non-whites cannot be racist. It's a ridiculous idea (as you said), but many, many people believe it, and as such, what matters here is not whether Beck has good reasons for saying what he did, but the color of President Obama's skin.

                              And that, ironically, is racist.
                              Fail.

                              Those are incredibly lame excuses.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              Working...