2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I wonder how much Biden's comment on the oil industry will impact that race.
    I don't mind it. Libertarians and traditional conservatives are not supposed to favor government subsidies for specific industries.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
      I wouldn’t think it would change anything. Is it anything different than what Dems have been saying for years?

I don’t know anybody who doesn’t think they shouldn't reduce their carbon footprint.
      You need to get out more.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I wonder how much Biden's comment on the oil industry will impact that race.
        Reason #100 why the electoral college is outdated

I did cringe when he said that. He stumbled and tried to correct himself by saying something to the effect of 'down the road we will not be relying on fossil fuels anymore'. But yeah, still a gaffe.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• I was also going to say, Trump is not entirely dumb. He may not be able to argue a single coherent policy besides immigration, but he has good political instincts. He laid the trap for Biden and pounced when he got him. I have no doubt that we will see that debate clip in a ton of ads for the next week.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

You need to get out more.
            Majority of my friends are conservatives.

Most of them have solar, recycle, buy Tesla’s, repurpose furniture, turn off lights when they leave rooms, ordered the new Hummur, etc.

Comment

Most of them have solar, recycle, buy Tesla’s, repurpose furniture, turn off lights when they leave rooms, ordered the new Hummur, etc.
              Maybe get out of the city and talk with rural folk. My in-laws have zero interest in global warming and threw a fit when incandescent light bulbs were banned.

Comment

New hummer. Lol.

I know a ton of people who don't do any of that.

Either way, saying your are going to kill off the oil industry might not play well in Pennsylvania.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  Maybe get out of the city and talk with rural folk. My in-laws have zero interest in global warming and threw a fit when incandescent light bulbs were banned.
                  Lol I talk with folks from rural PA almost everyday. I literally was on a zoom (pants up no Toobin) this morning with 10 folks that live in Trump country PA.

I text with a lady who went from painting Obama on her barn to painting Trump on her barn on the daily.

So yeah I chat with rural folks more than you probs.

Comment

• States Trump won in 2016:
                    (20) Pennsylvania (Biden by 5.7 6.5 7.3 7.0 3.7 5.1)
                    (10) Wisconsin (Biden by 5.5 6.3 4.6)
                    (16) Michigan (Biden by 5.2 6.2 7.0 7.2 7.8)
                    (18) Ohio (Biden by 3.3 1.2 0.6 Trump by 0.2 0.6)
                    (11) Arizona (Biden by 2.8 3.4 2.7 3.5 3.1 2.4)
                    (29) Florida (Biden by 1.1 3.5 2.7 1.6 1.5)
                    (15) N. Carolina (Biden by .5 1.4 1.9 3.3 2.3 1.5)
                    (6) Iowa (Biden by .5 1.2 1.7 0.8)

States Trump won last time where he holds a slim lead:

(16) Georgia (Trump by 1.1 Biden by .3 Trump by 0.4 Biden by .4 1.2)
                    (38) Texas (Trump by 3.3 4.4 4.0)

Here is where Trump comes closest right now in states Clinton won narrowly in 2016:

(6) Nevada (Biden by 5.4 6.0 5.2)
                    (4) New Hampshire (Biden by 8.6 9.0 11.0)
                    (10) Minnesota (Biden by 9.4 9.0 6.6 6.3 6.0)
                    (9) Colorado (Biden by 10)
                    (13) Virginia (Biden by 11 11.4)
                    (5) New Mexico (Biden by 14.5)
                    (4) Maine (Biden by 12.8 11.0)

Some of these are still tightening up, although what should be most concerning to Trump is Biden increasing the lead in Michigan. I have to wonder if the broken terroristic threat and arrests there have soured some who were in the middle towards Trump. Who knows, but the ongoing shift toward Biden seemed to pick up a bit after that story. PA was tightening and now seems to be going back toward Biden some more.

As always, these numbers are the average of the most recent polls in each state as calculated by realclearpolitics.com.

Comment

Lol I talk with folks from rural PA almost everyday. I literally was on a zoom (pants up no Toobin) this morning with 10 folks that live in Trump country PA.

I text with a lady who went from painting Obama on her barn to painting Trump on her barn on the daily.

So yeah I chat with rural folks more than you probs.
                      And these rural PA folks have solar panels, Teslas, and Hummers?

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                        And these rural PA folks have solar panels, Teslas, and Hummers?
                        They seem to care about the environment and seem to take small steps to reduce their carbon footprint.

This isn’t controversial for anyone with a brain. I literally don’t know anyone who hasn’t amended their life over the past 10 years in some way to reduce waste, reduce their footprint, or to increase their mindfulness in regards to the environment.

Apparently some families in rural Utah are bitching about light bulbs, are refusing to recycle, and are purposefully buying the least fuel efficient vehicles on the market because, my freedoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I was also going to say, Trump is not entirely dumb. He may not be able to argue a single coherent policy besides immigration, but he has good political instincts. He laid the trap for Biden and pounced when he got him. I have no doubt that we will see that debate clip in a ton of ads for the next week.
                          If only the Trump campaign wasn't effectively broke.

Comment

They seem to care about the environment and seem to take small steps to reduce their carbon footprint.

This isn’t controversial for anyone with a brain. I literally don’t know anyone who hasn’t amended their life over the past 10 years in some way to reduce waste, reduce their footprint, or to increase their mindfulness in regards to the environment.

Apparently some families in rural Utah are bitching about light bulbs, are refusing to recycle, and are purposefully buying the least fuel efficient vehicles on the market because, my freedoms.
                            My example wasn't Utah. It is a consistently blue left coast state where the rural population feels marginalized and is angry. No recycling services are even available and yes they drive either trucks or SUVs.

Comment

Do people really talk about this stuff much? Maybe I'm not very perceptive.

I can hardly wait to get off fossil fuels, in large part due to the effects they've had on our foreign policy, but also due to the negative impact on our environment.

That said, I couldn't tell you how most people in my circle of friends think about such things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                Do people really talk about this stuff much? Maybe I'm not very perceptive.

I can hardly wait to get off fossil fuels, in large part due to the effects they've had on our foreign policy, but also due to the negative impact on our environment.

That said, I couldn't tell you how most people in my circle of friends think about such things.
                                You don’t have conversations with people about every day stuff?

What kind of things they like?
                                Weather?
                                Differences from where you live?

It’s not hard to start to understand people’s views with a couple of benign questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X