War with Iran - DEFCON 3

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dabrockster
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 10961

    #316
    Originally posted by beefytee View Post

    This comment deserves a huge, “Oh Brother!”

    It would really depend on the comparison (and yes I doubt there are many valid/useful ones in this case), but of course your attempt here is to make it come kind of equivalency and ignore any valid comparisons.
    About as much of a “Oh Brother” from the original statement from Allen deserves.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69742

      #317
      Woohoo.

      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • beefytee
        Board eye candy
        • Mar 2009
        • 7542

        #318
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

        Do you think there is any legitimacy to someone supporting the ongoing revolution in Iran while simultaneously believing that protestors in the United States should generally obey the law?

        Honestly, I am kind of shocked you all are pushing back on this.
        Yep. Your framing of it that way is completely reasonable, but that is not what LVAllen was objecting to.

        Do you not think there is any legitimacy to claiming that someone who never tolerates civil disobedience in one circumstance but condones it in another is hypocritical.

        Now LVAllen may be taking Dabrockster’s arguments out of context. I haven’t gone back and reviewed the Minnesota discussion, but I understand his argument and can get over the fact that the countries have different pasts and current situations to see those things we can relate.

        Comment

        • myboynoah
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 21719

          #319
          Just dropped in and saw three pages of new content and thought, "Wow, some new developments!"

          Joke is on me.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

          Comment

          • Shaka
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 10450

            #320
            Maybe the channel was already posted. Worth checking out if you need a place to follow this revolution.

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21150

              #321
              I feel like nuance is being largely ignored in this discussion.

              Also, peacemakers are needed in this thread. Stop hearing what you think the other side is saying and start trying to understand what they're attempting to communicate, in spite of their human frailties.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • BigPiney
                Huge Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12374

                #322
                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                I feel like nuance is being largely ignored in this discussion.

                Also, peacemakers are needed in this thread. Stop hearing what you think the other side is saying and start trying to understand what they're attempting to communicate, in spite of their human frailties.
                Sounds like something a long haired hippie like you would say.

                Comment

                • dabrockster
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 10961

                  #323
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I may need to find the video but there is video of a man ripping off the Iranian flag at the Iranian embassy in London and replacing it with the Lion & Sun flag.

                  Was something to behold!!

                  Comment

                  • beefytee
                    Board eye candy
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 7542

                    #324
                    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    I feel like nuance is being largely ignored in this discussion.

                    Also, peacemakers are needed in this thread. Stop hearing what you think the other side is saying and start trying to understand what they're attempting to communicate, in spite of their human frailties.
                    Someone else ganging up against civil disobedience, I see.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69742

                      #325
                      Originally posted by dabrockster View Post

                      I may need to find the video but there is video of a man ripping off the Iranian flag at the Iranian embassy in London and replacing it with the Lion & Sun flag.

                      Was something to behold!!
                      Yeah that was cool.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • BigPiney
                        Huge Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12374

                        #326
                        Originally posted by dabrockster View Post

                        I may need to find the video but there is video of a man ripping off the Iranian flag at the Iranian embassy in London and replacing it with the Lion & Sun flag.

                        Was something to behold!!
                        I was surprised he was able to scale that wall with his gigantic balls. It was awesome.

                        Comment

                        • dabrockster
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 10961

                          #327
                          Reports of deaths were in the low 50’s but came across this number in this article. This article also reports of a U-Haul crashing into a rally of supporters in LA.


                          The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency reports 583 people have been killed since unrest erupted in Iran two weeks ago.
                          U-Haul truck reportedly drives through Iran protest crowd in Los Angeles, striking one person near Federal Building in Westwood. Driver detained by LAPD.

                          Comment

                          • dabrockster
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 10961

                            #328
                            Found it!

                            Comment

                            • beefytee
                              Board eye candy
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 7542

                              #329
                              Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                              That is some serious climbing skills.

                              Impressive.

                              Comment

                              • frank ryan
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12385

                                #330
                                There have been some demonstrations in support of the Iranian people take place in the US. It looks like something awful happened at one of them:





                                At least 2 people were injured after a driver rammed a U-Haul truck into a crowd in Los Angeles on Jan. 11 that showed support for Iranian protesters, authorities and fire officials said.

                                Hundreds of people were demonstrating in Westwood, a neighborhood in Los Angeles near the federal building, in support of Iranian protesters when a U-Haul truck plowed into the group, KNBC and KABC-TVreported. Local TV stations described a chaotic scene as a large group of people surrounded the truck.

                                "We can confirm that a U-Haul truck plowed through a group of protesters this afternoon," the Los Angeles Police Department told USA TODAY. "We are still gathering information and do not have the number of injuries as of now."

                                Comment

                                Working...