Ukraine - somebody explain to me

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1816
    Very nice public service video of the Kraken Unit helping civilians (and their dogs) once they liberate a town: https://t.me/operativnoZSU/50983
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69706

      #1817
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      I try to find Twitter links so you can watch them in-site. This one finally showed up on Twitter. Russian BMP hits a mine.
      Yikes. No survivors there.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #1818
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

        Yikes. No survivors there.
        Are you familiar with the 200/300 designations of Russian casualties? 200 = dead, 300 = wounded. I had to learn that via Telegram; I got confused all the time, and finally sometime in April just asked in a comment and then it all made sense.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #1819
          Ukrainian soldier barely survives a sniper/lucky shot. You can hear the bullet zip by: https://t.me/killpukin/11567
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #1820
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hornet_Nano =$195k each

            Black Hornet Nano Drone.jpg
            Оригінальний канал "Адепти Контрнаступу" зі старим адміном. Наш старий канал з 60 000 підписників був проданий
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • myboynoah
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 21719

              #1821
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

              Are you familiar with the 200/300 designations of Russian casualties? 200 = dead, 300 = wounded. I had to learn that via Telegram; I got confused all the time, and finally sometime in April just asked in a comment and then it all made sense.
              So, for every 200 killed there are an additional 300 wounded? Is that unique to Russians in this conflict, or is that a universal norm for armed conflict in general?
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

              Comment

              • myboynoah
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 21719

                #1822
                Started seeing these show up at defense/aerospace trade shows a couple of years ago. Quite the price tag. Won't be getting it for the kids at Christmas.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                Comment

                • Donuthole
                  Official Outgayer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 25268

                  #1823
                  Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

                  So, for every 200 killed there are an additional 300 wounded? Is that unique to Russians in this conflict, or is that a universal norm for armed conflict in general?
                  I understood that to mean that those are call numbers. We have a 200 means we have a death. We have a 300 means we have an injury. But perhaps that was my misunderstanding. I can't possibly see how there is always a direct statistical correlation between casualties and injuries. Seems way too situation-dependent.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                  There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                  Comment

                  • myboynoah
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 21719

                    #1824
                    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

                    I understood that to mean that those are call numbers. We have a 200 means we have a death. We have a 300 means we have an injury. But perhaps that was my misunderstanding. I can't possibly see how there is always a direct statistical correlation between casualties and injuries. Seems way too situation-dependent.
                    Okay, maybe that's it. A quick google search shows that there are ratios for wounded to deaths, which has hovered around 3 to 1 historically. But that goes down significantly dependent on the ability to get wounded to medical care quickly and the type of medical care available. So I thought 3 to 2 was pretty high. But if it could be just a code as you suggest.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                    Comment

                    • BigPiney
                      Huge Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12366

                      #1825
                      Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

                      Started seeing these show up at defense/aerospace trade shows a couple of years ago. Quite the price tag. Won't be getting it for the kids at Christmas.
                      I imagine the more they make, they more the price will will come down. But yes those are very pricy.

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #1826
                        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

                        I understood that to mean that those are call numbers. We have a 200 means we have a death. We have a 300 means we have an injury. But perhaps that was my misunderstanding. I can't possibly see how there is always a direct statistical correlation between casualties and injuries. Seems way too situation-dependent.
                        This is correct. You’ll see a huge hit on a tank and it’ll translate, “Everyone 200.”
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #1827
                          Fresh T90's for St. Javelin's Hunger. https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...ransported_to/
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #1828
                            Lots of posts today about the Ukrainian SBU arresting criminal gangs posing as law enforcement. I've seen stories from Kharkiv, Kyiv, Odessa, and the Kherson Oblast. https://t.me/SBUkr/5204?single
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #1829
                              Ukrainians tracking down a Russian MBT and hitting it with a precision artillery strike.
                              https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFoota...ian_mbt_which/
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • Bo Diddley
                                Senior
                                • Jul 2012
                                • 18791

                                #1830
                                I keep wondering where the Soviet Russian Army is that we feared would roll across Europe all these years. When I pose that question, I get from several people, "I don't think we've seen them yet" as though Russia could wipe out Ukraine's Army if they really wanted to commit all their forces to the effort. I'm wondering if that's a delusional view from those in the fringe on the Right who camp in La La Land.

                                At the end of the day, I think this is going to bleed Russia's military and deplete their ability to threaten other nations for quite some time, setting them back decades. At that point, perhaps the US can truly pivot to the Pacific like we've been trying to do for some time.

                                Comment

                                Working...