The Official Drought Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Uncle Ted
    The Big 12 money shot.
    • Apr 2010
    • 28853

    #211
    Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    We don't put up with that crap in Utah. Only the REAL stuff here!!!

    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=34515302
    What the hell was that lady thinking? She could have just thrown down some gravel and created some additional parking for less money.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Color Me Badd Fan
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 12519

      #212
      Artificial grass sucks ass. I can maybe see putting in small patch in your front yard where it won't be inundated (as much) by dogs, kids and dirt, but it's a huge loser in the backyard. And it's even worse if you have a dog. When a dog takes a piss on that artificial grass, where does it go? How do you rid of the dirt that gets tracked in by the adjacent landscaping? Do you plan on vacuuming your back lawn? On top of that, the artificial grass absorbs heat and it's intolerable during the summer. Add to that the dog piss smell getting augmented by the heat.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25268

        #213
        I put in a thousand square feet of the real stuff over the weekend.


        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • Pelado
          Bald not naked
          • Sep 2010
          • 21142

          #214
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          I put in a thousand square feet of the real stuff over the weekend.


          Why do you hate California?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

          Comment

          • Topper
            Pre-Historic Man
            • Nov 2011
            • 11764

            #215
            Good work Donut.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

            Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #216
              Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              I put in a thousand square feet of the real stuff over the weekend.


              Nice. Now you just need a robot to mow it...

              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • cowboy
                Homer Weems
                • Dec 2008
                • 5740

                #217
                Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Nice. Now you just need a robot to mow it...
                Or cows. I have 400 acres of lawn that my cows mow until July when they go to the mountain. Sheep will do for a smaller lawn. Stay away from goats - those damn things make a mess.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #218
                  Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  Or cows. I have 400 acres of lawn that my cows mow until July when they go to the mountain. Sheep will do for a smaller lawn. Stay away from goats - those damn things make a mess.
                  Good idea. A steer would auto-fertilize things for DH as well.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Joe Public
                    8.1 YPC
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 8530

                    #219
                    Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                    Or cows. I have 400 acres of lawn that my cows mow until July when they go to the mountain. Sheep will do for a smaller lawn. Stay away from goats - those damn things make a mess.
                    There's a steep hill in downtown Los Angeles - next to the Angels Flight rail and stairs for those who are familiar with the area - that overgrows with tall grasses and weeds every summer. It's much too steep to mow, so the city brings in a goats-for-hire guy who releases his goats on the hillside for a couple of days. The goats make pretty quick work of the grass and weeds.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #220
                      Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      There's a steep hill in downtown Los Angeles - next to the Angels Flight rail and stairs for those who are familiar with the area - that overgrows with tall grasses and weeds every summer. It's much too steep to mow, so the city brings in a goats-for-hire guy who releases his goats on the hillside for a couple of days. The goats make pretty quick work of the grass and weeds.
                      I wonder if the goats will have much to eat this summer... apparently the lawn mower at the LA Temple has been laid off:



                      http://www.latimes.com/local/westsid...511-story.html

                      but the good news is DH has some green grass in his backyard.
                      Last edited by Uncle Ted; 05-12-2015, 10:26 AM.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37987

                        #221
                        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        I put in a thousand square feet of the real stuff over the weekend.


                        Was the concrete border already there?
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Dwight Schr-ute
                          Members Only
                          • May 2011
                          • 4917

                          #222
                          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          I put in a thousand square feet of the real stuff over the weekend.


                          Dude. I've got great news. You can now make $1,500 on that stuff! http://www.snwa.com/rebates/wsl.html

                          Seriously though. What kind did you put in? Curious what you paid/sq foot.There may be some turf in my near future.

                          Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          I wonder if the goats will have much to eat this summer... apparently the lawn mower at the LA Temple has been laid off:



                          http://www.latimes.com/local/westsid...511-story.html

                          but the good news is DH has some green grass in his backyard.
                          Interesting article. Thanks!
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                          Comment

                          • Nakoma
                            Junior Member
                            • Sep 2013
                            • 571

                            #223
                            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            I put in a thousand square feet of the real stuff over the weekend.


                            Nice addition. Now you need to plant a row of trees along the back fence like the one in the far corner. Your neighbor has too good of a view into your backyard.

                            Comment

                            • Mormon Red Death
                              BYU Delenda Est
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8077

                              #224
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Desalinization uses a ton of energy (and money). The Saudis just burn the oil they pump out of the ground. It is not a green solution.
                              The real reason... politics
                              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                              "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                              Comment

                              • Walter Sobchak
                                Adventurer
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 3815

                                #225
                                Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                Artificial grass sucks ass. I can maybe see putting in small patch in your front yard where it won't be inundated (as much) by dogs, kids and dirt, but it's a huge loser in the backyard. And it's even worse if you have a dog. [1] When a dog takes a piss on that artificial grass, where does it go? [2] How do you rid of the dirt that gets tracked in by the adjacent landscaping? [3] Do you plan on vacuuming your back lawn? [4] On top of that, the artificial grass absorbs heat and it's intolerable during the summer. Add to that the dog piss smell getting augmented by the heat.
                                [1] Dog piss is a liquid. It will trickle down into the substrate, e.g. a gravel layer. Rain water or irrigation water will then both dilute the urine and flush it into french drains where it is collected and transported off-site... that is, if gravity works where you live.

                                [2] Perhaps "dirt" an acceptable ground cover at your home, but not in the nicer suburbs.

                                [3]


                                [4] This isn't a concern in temperate regions, such as in coastal areas.


                                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                I put in a thousand square feet of the real stuff over the weekend.


                                [IMG snipped]
                                That fence though.
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                                Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                                Comment

                                Working...