What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I don't know who they are, but it's safe to assume they're a very small group, excluding all of the rabble-rousing illegals like Uncle Ted. It's kind of fun to imagine secession, like buying a Powerball ticket, albeit with lousier odds.
    It really would be an interesting event to see transpire over the next 50 years. It would be possible that the NW and NE would follow suit.

Hollywood I think would take the beating. I think the middle of the Country would probably boycott their stuff. Maybe not.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      It really would be an interesting event to see transpire over the next 50 years. It would be possible that the NW and NE would follow suit.

Hollywood I think would take the beating. I think the middle of the Country would probably boycott their stuff. Maybe not.
      Balkanization produces such wonderful economic results. More division please!
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        These idiots in California need to crack open a history book. This issue was settled 150 years ago.
        But what about their Russian embassy?

So if this passes in California by the vote of good citizens (with some help maybe from the non-citizens) apparently they can secede if they get two-thirds approval from congress and 3/4 of the states approving (which sounds a lot like an amendment):

The only legal avenue for California to secede requires the state to win approval by two-thirds of Congress and three-quarters of the states in the country, he said. Farber pointed to a Supreme Court decision, Texas vs. White, in 1869 that said Texas “entered into an indissoluble relation” when it became part of the United States. The case related to bonds sold by Texas during the Civil War.
        http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...#storylink=cpy

And if that doesn't work I guess they are prepared to appeal to the UN.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Calexit is one step closer to happening....

http://www.vcstar.com/story/news/201...ceed/97124074/

I have pledged my (non-cali-citizen) vote! You should too...

http://www.yescalifornia.org/petition
          This is so dopey I can barely comprehend how or why it is getting serious coverage. The media wants to squawk and prod and poke about Trump's ridiculous claims about eh numebr of people at inauguration but it can't take these jokers to task in a simialr way?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
            This is so dopey I can barely comprehend how or why it is getting serious coverage. The media wants to squawk and prod and poke about Trump's ridiculous claims about eh numebr of people at inauguration but it can't take these jokers to task in a simialr way?
            They are too busy covering the right to life March. Seriously I turned on CNN 10 minutes ago and they were whining about Trump and his sidekick calling them opponents. They just switched to the March and guess who they have found to interview, Cher. No kidding Cher comes to this March and CNN seeks her out.

Comment

They are too busy covering the right to life March. Seriously I turned on CNN 10 minutes ago and they were whining about Trump and his sidekick calling them opponents. They just switched to the March and guess who they have found to interview, Cher. No kidding Cher comes to this March and CNN seeks her out.
              I thought Cher was a pro-choice'er (except when it comes to killing dogs and making fur coats out of them)... So did she switch teams and was out marching with the pro-life'rs today?
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I thought Cher was a pro-choice'er (except when it comes to killing dogs and making fur coats out of them)... So did she switch teams and was out marching with the pro-life'rs today?
                From the little bit I was able to listen to I got the idea she was there to have the pro-lifers be united with women on all the women issues. A bit confusing because I thought the big woman's issue was "choice". Last week a pro-life femminist group was denied access to the March. Black lives matter, equal pay, and just about any other cause was allowed but pro life.

By the way have you seen the medley of Madonna, Glora Steinham and Ashlety Judd addressing the audience. I don't know a lot of women, but I am sure the ones I know seeing it would be terribly embarassed.

Comment

From the little bit I was able to listen to I got the idea she was there to have the pro-lifers be united with women on all the women issues. A bit confusing because I thought the big woman's issue was "choice". Last week a pro-life femminist group was denied access to the March. Black lives matter, equal pay, and just about any other cause was allowed but pro life.

By the way have you seen the medley of Madonna, Glora Steinham and Ashlety Judd addressing the audience. I don't know a lot of women, but I am sure the ones I know seeing it would be terribly embarassed.
                  Yeah, it is very confusing... If pro-choice'rs were actually for choice then they wouldn't have any problem with women exercising their "choice" and becoming a prostitute. I have asked pro-choice'rs when I find out they are on that team, "So you don't have any problem with prostitution?" and have been yelled at. I find it interesting that they are for "choice" but only the choices they believe in. And they don't like to be called "pro-abortionists" either. Something about the word abortion they don't like.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, it is very confusing... If pro-choice'rs were actually for choice then they wouldn't have any problem with women exercising their "choice" and becoming a prostitute. I have asked pro-choice'rs when I find out they are on that team, "So you don't have any problem with prostitution?" and have been yelled at. I find it interesting that they are for "choice" but only the choices they believe in. And they don't like to be called "pro-abortionists" either. Something about the word abortion they don't like.
                    You should be yelled at. Some pretty dumb responses. sjbh.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You should be yelled at. Some pretty dumb responses. sjbh.
                      The choices shouldn't be limited if you consider yourself "pro-choice". "Pro-choice" is a poor choice of words. It is kind of like being "pro-life" and being for capital punishment. (Been yelled at for bringing that one up as well.)
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The choices shouldn't be limited if you consider yourself "pro-choice". "Pro-choice" is a poor choice of words. It is kind of like being "pro-life" and being for capital punishment. (Been yelled at for bringing that one up as well.)
                        That one... that's not a good example.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Haha. Sorry, but these are terribly oversimplistic arguments.

Let's see if I can play this game:

"You can't be pro-hunting and pro-life at the same time!"
                          "You can't be pro gun-rights if you don't think I should be able to take an AK-47 to BYU basketball games!"
                          "You say you are for free markets, but you won't let me take stuff for free from your market!"
                          Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-27-2017, 05:19 PM. Reason: fix typos
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Haha. Sorry, but these are terribly oversimplistic arguments.

Let's see if I can play this game:

"You can be pro-hunting and pro-life at the same time!"
                            "You be pro gun-rights if you don't think I should be able to take an AK-47 to BYU basketball games!"
                            "You say you are for free markets, but you won't let me take stuff for free from your market!"
                            The prostitution and pro-choice analogy, while imperfect, is closer than any of your examples. The basis for the right to abortion is a woman's control over her body, of which the fetus is a part until viability. If she has that control, why can't she decide how and under what circumstances she has consensual sex?
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

These idiots in California need to crack open a history book. This issue was settled 150 years ago.
                              Seriously, California. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                The prostitution and pro-choice analogy, while imperfect, is closer than any of your examples. The basis for the right to abortion is a woman's control over her body, of which the fetus is a part until viability. If she has that control, why can't she decide how and under what circumstances she has consensual sex?
                                For starters, who says all pro-choice people are against women having consensual sex?

Uncle Ted is a lousy libertarian, btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X