What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
    California Democrats want businesses to give half their tax-cut savings to state

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/...f-12508742.php
    Given that California seems to be close to being a 'sh*thole' this sounds like a great idea!

Hey, any ideas where Apple is going to build its 'HQ2'?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
      That graphic is pretty useless since it isn't on a per capita basis. I am glad you kept it out of my maps thread.
      New York state is actually worse than California by quite a bit. Massachusetts is a bit higher. So is Vermont (??).

And then there's DC -- and if this map was per capita, DC would fill up a third of the screen.

Alaska is about the same as California.
      Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 01-22-2018, 12:06 PM.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• California is so stupid sometimes. Now they banning (or limiting) plastic straws based on research performed by a 9-yr-old kid.

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/25/ca...inalize-restau
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          California is so stupid sometimes. Now they banning (or limiting) plastic straws based on research performed by a 9-yr-old kid.

That's hilarious.

The Los Angeles Times has gotten behind the movement, endorsing straws-on-request policies in an editorial that also warned that "repetitive sucking may cause or exacerbate wrinkles on the lips or around the mouth."
          Thanks for keeping an eye on what really matters, LA Times.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Falling behind Seattle lol, California sure is progressive. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-upcoming-ban/
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

• Paper straws are literally the worst. They start getting soggy before you've finished the drink. Forget about a refill.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• the real winner here is metal straws. i carry mine around to restaurants in a piccolo case.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  the real winner here is metal straws. i carry mine around to restaurants in a piccolo case.
                  Those are going to take out a tooth one day.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

California is so stupid sometimes. Now they banning (or limiting) plastic straws based on research performed by a 9-yr-old kid.

It's good to see you reading reason.com... I'll have you voting Libertarian in no time.

BTW, did you see the article yesterday about Utah's Free-Range Kids? Good for Utah.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      It's good to see you reading reason.com... I'll have you voting Libertarian in no time.

BTW, did you see the article yesterday about Utah's Free-Range Kids? Good for Utah.
                      Wrong link. This one works:

http://fox13now.com/2018/01/23/free-...ate-committee/
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• meh...I usually don't use a straw
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Oops... my bad: http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/24/ut...-would-give-ki
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Eh - they're fixing a problem that doesn't exist. No one in Utah is going after parents for letting their kids walk home from school or playing outside.

As Senator Escamilla alludes to in the article - some of that will ALWAYS be based on the capacity of the child. But as it is, there is not a specific age in Utah for kids to be allowed to be left unsupervised, or a specific amount of time that a child can be left without supervision. Right now, if there is a report it is based on an evaluation of the capacity of the child.

That isn't going to change. I doubt Senator Fillmore is suggesting that a 1 year old should be allowed to walk to the park to play by himself without someone questioning the parents. And I doubt he would be in favor of situations like the one that came up a few years ago when the parents went to Wendover for the weekend and left their 6, 4, and 3 year old's home alone with the deadbolt locked and enough crackers and snacks to get them through a couple of days.

The DCFS director was very kind in her remarks - but I know for a fact that the front line staff are rolling their eyes at the senator creating a new law to address an issue that has never been an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              the real winner here is metal straws. i carry mine around to restaurants in a piccolo case.
                              I’ve never wanted to have lunch with you more than I do after this post. Just to see you pull your metal straw from it’s protective case.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                I’ve never wanted to have lunch with you more than I do after this post. Just to see you pull your metal straw from it’s protective case.
                                i will treat you to del taco any day of the week, friend
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X