Obamacare cost...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #661
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Next up for the panel...byu71.
    Although eligible for medicare, medicaid or whatever the hades old people are eligible for, I still have and pay for private health insurance. I am not costing the tax payer a dime although I am still paying into the system.

    However, when the SS subject comes up again on this board I will have to hear again from some of you feeble minded (although you are young) people about how old people get more out of the system than they deserve. To those people who feel that way, here is a little pre-emptive strike. Go F yourselves ( interpretation, go fart on yourselves).

    Comment

    • imanihonjin
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2013
      • 3772

      #662
      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Who has a landline anymore?
      If you are struggling with finances you should look to cut where you can. Land lines are much more affordable than a cell phone plan.

      Comment

      • Color Me Badd Fan
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 12519

        #663
        Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
        If you are struggling with finances you should look to cut where you can. Land lines are much more affordable than a cell phone plan.
        Given the obesity rates amongst the poor in this country, the Oreo budget should be cut before the cell phone bill.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

        Comment

        • Goatnapper'96
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10924

          #664
          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Given the obesity rates amongst the poor in this country, the Oreo budget should be cut before the cell phone bill.
          We can fix it with a "National Discussion" on the subject and a mandatory gym enrollment program for pre-schoolers that in the long run will actually decrease our deficit!
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

          Comment

          • Uncle Ted
            The Big 12 money shot.
            • Apr 2010
            • 28853

            #665
            Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
            If you are struggling with finances you should look to cut where you can. Land lines are much more affordable than a cell phone plan.
            It depends where you live. If there is no landline infrastructure to your home (or where you call home) then that landline could cost a small fortune.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • imanihonjin
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2013
              • 3772

              #666
              Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              It depends where you live. If there is no landline infrastructure to your home (or where you call home) then that landline could cost a small fortune.
              And how many people in America today live in a place that doesn't provide access to a land line but cell phone reception? We have to be talking about less than 1% of 1% here.

              Comment

              • beefytee
                Board eye candy
                • Mar 2009
                • 7542

                #667
                Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                If you are struggling with finances you should look to cut where you can. Land lines are much more affordable than a cell phone plan.
                I think that you can find prepaid cell plans that are cheaper than land lines. Last I checked you can do prepaid on about $100 a year.

                I guess vonage is about $10 a month, but you still need semi-broadband internet for that.

                Comment

                • Goatnapper'96
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10924

                  #668
                  Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  It depends where you live. If there is no landline infrastructure to your home (or where you call home) then that landline could cost a small fortune.
                  Under those circumstances your impediment to work is much bigger than communications. Further, my guess is folks in similar circumstances can likely access and use a pay phone cheaper than they could get themselves into range of a cell tower. Provider of last resort is my business, ladies!

                  Landlines are clearly more affordable if one's financial circumstances preclude them from having both, but they are not nearly as convenient or hip.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

                  I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

                  Comment

                  • Goatnapper'96
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10924

                    #669
                    Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                    I think that you can find prepaid cell plans that are cheaper than land lines. Last I checked you can do prepaid on about $100 a year.

                    I guess vonage is about $10 a month, but you still need semi-broadband internet for that.
                    Poor folks who qualify for government telephone subsidies can do landline service for about $84/year out of pocket expenses.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment

                    • Goatnapper'96
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10924

                      #670
                      Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                      And how many people in America today live in a place that doesn't provide access to a land line but cell phone reception? We have to be talking about less than 1% of 1% here.
                      This is true, cell towers rely upon land line networks to work. Obviously, the extend the range but most areas where the PSTN has not been physically deployed is due to abnormally difficult topography (i.e. granite mountains) which would impede the distance the cell tower can emit its signal. I would propose that most residences that do not have a land line deployed to their physical structure could voice communicate cheaper by using a community pay phone - which is likely to have been deployed, than drive to where they could have reliable cell coverage.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

                      I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

                      Comment

                      • Pelado
                        Bald not naked
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 21143

                        #671
                        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        This is true, cell towers rely upon land line networks to work. Obviously, the extend the range but most areas where the PSTN has not been physically deployed is due to abnormally difficult topography (i.e. granite mountains) which would impede the distance the cell tower can emit its signal. I would propose that most residences that do not have a land line deployed to their physical structure could voice communicate cheaper by using a community pay phone - which is likely to have been deployed, than drive to where they could have reliable cell coverage.
                        I couldn't help reading innuendo into this post from GN, whether he intended it or not.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

                        Comment

                        • Goatnapper'96
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10924

                          #672
                          Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          I couldn't help reading innuendo into this post from GN, whether he intended it or not.
                          Payphone is just a metaphor for a cheap streetwalker!
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

                          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

                          Comment

                          • The_Douger
                            Athletic Supporter
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 5413

                            #673
                            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Who has a landline anymore?
                            We do.

                            I haven't ever had a cell phone. And I like it that way. Leave a message, I'll call back. My wife has a cell but it's a pretty cheap grandfathered plan thing without internet and all that.
                            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21143

                              #674
                              Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                              We do.

                              I haven't ever had a cell phone. And I like it that way. Leave a message, I'll call back. My wife has a cell but it's a pretty cheap grandfathered plan thing without internet and all that.
                              We also have a landline, but we use Ooma on it. Our annual cost including taxes is around $150. We considered dumping it before switching from Qwest to Ooma, but decided we wanted to hold onto it at least for 911 service in the home.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #675
                                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                We also have a landline, but we use Ooma on it. Our annual cost including taxes is around $150. We considered dumping it before switching from Qwest to Ooma, but decided we wanted to hold onto it at least for 911 service in the home.
                                Does VoIP count? Well, I actually have Ooma as well. It costs me $3.77/mo.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...