The 2012 Republican Primary thread, early edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oxcoug
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters
    • Dec 2009
    • 5309

    #1591
    Originally posted by Viking View Post
    Is it recent that Romney is closing out with pictures of him and his fantastic wife, survivor of cancer and who lives with MS?
    I think they've been using that for a while. I wish someone wld do some polling on positives surrounding the first ladies. I bet Anne's winning that in a landslide.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

    Comment

    • CJF
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 8497

      #1592
      Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
      Weird conclusion for you to reach. I take it you haven't thought it through.
      So Newt is a killer? Dexter throat slashes his victims? About the only Dexter similarity is they are in Florida right now.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

      Comment

      • myboynoah
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 21719

        #1593
        Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
        I think they've been using that for a while. I wish someone wld do some polling on positives surrounding the first ladies. I bet Anne's winning that in a landslide.
        Obviously Anne is front and center with Mitt, but it looks like Calista spends here time standing behind The Gingrich. Do they ever have her speak? If not, I wonder why. I think there is a very obvious reason, but I wonder if the Gingrich campaign acknowledges that internally.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

        Comment

        • myboynoah
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 21719

          #1594
          The latest Rasmussen poll showing Mitt up by 16 points with 44% also suggests movement from The Gingrich to Mitt when compared with Rasmussen's poll just a few days ago and a return to where things stood about three weeks ago. Also, Mitt is doing better that both Santorum and The Gingrich combined.

          2012 Florida Republican Primary - Florida GOP Primary: Romney 44%, Gingrich 28%
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

          Comment

          • oxcoug
            Dolphins Rape Hipsters
            • Dec 2009
            • 5309

            #1595
            Originally posted by CJF View Post
            So Newt is a killer? Dexter throat slashes his victims? About the only Dexter similarity is they are in Florida right now.

            I think my analogy (admittedly I didn't put deep thought into it) is of Newt as an electoral criminal - a bad man and a bad politician causing harm in the national discourse - and Mitt imposing his killer instinct (a la Dexter) on Newt's campaign.

            Does that pass muster with the Dexter Experts?

            I've also only seen two seasons so maybe there's a critical nuance I'm missing.
            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

            It can't all be wedding cake.

            Comment

            • CJF
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 8497

              #1596
              Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
              I think my analogy (admittedly I didn't put deep thought into it) is of Newt as an electoral criminal - a bad man and a bad politician causing harm in the national discourse - and Mitt imposing his killer instinct (a la Dexter) on Newt's campaign.

              Does that pass muster with the Dexter Experts?

              I've also only seen two seasons so maybe there's a critical nuance I'm missing.
              I am just busting your balls.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

              Comment

              • oxcoug
                Dolphins Rape Hipsters
                • Dec 2009
                • 5309

                #1597
                Originally posted by CJF View Post
                I am just busting your balls.
                My balls are encased in mithril and are unbustable.
                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

                It can't all be wedding cake.

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #1598
                  Interesting - poll says that without Santorum in the race, Romney would be even farther ahead, 49-33.

                  Last edited by LA Ute; 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • LA Ute
                    Receiver of Memory
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19512

                    #1599
                    So much for Newt's electability argument:

                    In a head-to-head race, Romney leads Obama by a statistically insignificant percentage point, 48%-47%, the survey finds. Romney's support hasn't wavered from his standing in early December, while Obama's standing against him has risen by four percentage points.

                    But Gingrich has seen his prospects against Obama significantly decline. Now, Obama leads him, 54%-40%. The president's standing against him has risen nine points since early December; Gingrich has fallen by eight. In fact, Gingrich now fares less well than Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who trails Obama by seven points, 50%-43%, or than former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, who also trails Obama by seven points, 51%-44%.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden


                    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                    Comment

                    • myboynoah
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 21719

                      #1600
                      One thing I don't understand is why Mitt is rarely on any of the Sunday talk shows. The Gingrich is on everyone of them at which it is physically possible for him to be. I understand that; he has little money and it is free publicity.

                      But why does Mitt seem to avoid them? I'm sure they would have loved to have had him on today. And this seems to have been a pattern so far; I don't know if I can recall him being on any of these shows since Iowa (or even before then). Can any of you political experts explain this?

                      Note: I'm probably not the best judge of all of this, but I'm wondering if The Gingrich isn't starting to suffer a little bit from over-exposure, especially since most of what he has been doing on these shows over the past two days is whining about Mitt. But maybe he feels has not choice but to do them and that is the only message he has right now.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                      Comment

                      • All-American
                        Right, as Usual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 15680

                        #1601
                        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        One thing I don't understand is why Mitt is rarely on any of the Sunday talk shows. The Gingrich is on everyone of them at which it is physically possible for him to be. I understand that; he has little money and it is free publicity.

                        But why does Mitt seem to avoid them? I'm sure they would have loved to have had him on today. And this seems to have been a pattern so far; I don't know if I can recall him being on any of these shows since Iowa (or even before then). Can any of you political experts explain this?

                        Note: I'm probably not the best judge of all of this, but I'm wondering if The Gingrich isn't starting to suffer a little bit from over-exposure, especially since most of what he has been doing on these shows over the past two days is whining about Mitt. But maybe he feels has not choice but to do them and that is the only message he has right now.
                        I think your third paragraph answers the question you pose in your second paragraph.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                        Comment

                        • myboynoah
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 21719

                          #1602
                          Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          I think your third paragraph answers the question you pose in your second paragraph.
                          I thought that might be part of it, but wouldn't an occasional appearance have some benefit? Perhaps it's also about controling your message and if you have the means to do that, there is no reason to relenquish that control to the media.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                          Comment

                          • pellegrino
                            miserere me
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12100

                            #1603
                            Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                            One thing I don't understand is why Mitt is rarely on any of the Sunday talk shows. The Gingrich is on everyone of them at which it is physically possible for him to be. I understand that; he has little money and it is free publicity.

                            But why does Mitt seem to avoid them? I'm sure they would have loved to have had him on today. And this seems to have been a pattern so far; I don't know if I can recall him being on any of these shows since Iowa (or even before then). Can any of you political experts explain this?

                            Note: I'm probably not the best judge of all of this, but I'm wondering if The Gingrich isn't starting to suffer a little bit from over-exposure, especially since most of what he has been doing on these shows over the past two days is whining about Mitt. But maybe he feels has not choice but to do them and that is the only message he has right now.
                            Mitt avoids them because they haven't gone well for him in the past. He'd rather have more control over his message.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

                            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                            pelagius

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #1604
                              Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              One thing I don't understand is why Mitt is rarely on any of the Sunday talk shows. The Gingrich is on everyone of them at which it is physically possible for him to be. I understand that; he has little money and it is free publicity.

                              But why does Mitt seem to avoid them? I'm sure they would have loved to have had him on today. And this seems to have been a pattern so far; I don't know if I can recall him being on any of these shows since Iowa (or even before then). Can any of you political experts explain this?

                              Note: I'm probably not the best judge of all of this, but I'm wondering if The Gingrich isn't starting to suffer a little bit from over-exposure, especially since most of what he has been doing on these shows over the past two days is whining about Mitt. But maybe he feels has not choice but to do them and that is the only message he has right now.
                              He's pulling away from the Newt, and Newt is self-destructing, so why risk a TV appearance? Nothing good can come from it, only a slip-up, or a "gotcha" question, or something along those lines.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • Moliere
                                One man.....one pie
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 27898

                                #1605
                                Keep the sabbath day holy
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                                Comment

                                Working...