The Energy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

West Texas is as big an open wasteland as Nevada is. Probably bigger. Let’s just dump it out there.
    I don't disagree with this...having been to west Texas A LOT.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I don't disagree with this...having been to west Texas A LOT.
      Yeah, nothing in west texas... We can just dump it down some old oil well.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Gas does not freeze at 10F but valves and other fittings can and do. But frozen gas valves are nothing that can't be overcome with some prior planning and preparation. Texas should have been more prepared for the cold.
        Yeah, we need more nuke plants.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Maybe this explains what happened in Texas...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

West Texas is as big an open wasteland as Nevada is. Probably bigger. Let’s just dump it out there.
            I imagine that the Dude could tell us the difference between groundwater drainage from West Texas vs Yucca Mountain, and why West Texas's wasteland wouldn't be a good home for it. West Texas drains to the Rio Grande Valley and then to the ocean, irrigating untold acres of cropland in two countries. Central Nevada drains to central Nevada, and the only thing that grows in Nevada is its human population.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

I imagine that the Dude could tell us the difference between groundwater drainage from West Texas vs Yucca Mountain, and why West Texas's wasteland wouldn't be a good home for it. West Texas drains to the Rio Grande Valley and then to the ocean, irrigating untold acres of cropland in two countries. Central Nevada drains to central Nevada, and the only thing that grows in Nevada is its human population.
              Hey, if the west texas ground water drains in the rio grande then maybe we won't have to finish the wall... two for one deal.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• LOL, what a dummy...

One Texas Resident Still Has Power, but His Bill Is Now Over $8,000

A Texas resident's power bill increased over $7,700 this month as the outages and severe weather in the area rose the cost of electricity.

Royce Pierce, a 38-year-old contractor and Texas resident owes power company, Griddy, $8,162.73 for his electricity use in February. The total was a steep increase compared with his bill for his two-story home last month, which was $387.79.

"It's mind-blowing. I honestly didn't believe the price at first," Pierce told the Daily Beast. "It's not a great feeling knowing that there is a looming bill that we just can't afford."
                [...]
                Griddy told all of its customers earlier this week that they should switch to another power supplier as electricity prices soared as high as $9,000 a megawatt-hour on Monday.

"We made the unprecedented decision to tell our customers—whom we worked really hard to get—that they are better off in the near term with another provider," Michael Fallquist, chief executive officer of Griddy, said in a statement.

"We want what's right by our consumers, so we are encouraging them to leave," Fallquist continued. "We believe that transparency and that honesty will bring them back."

Griddy's customers are exposed to the real-time fluctuations in wholesale power markets as members pay a $9.99 monthly fee and then pay the direct cost of the electricity on Texas's power grid based on the time of day they used it.

Griddy's business model often saves its customers money but it has done the opposite in recent days as the cost of power on Texas's grid rose exponentially amid the outages caused by severe weather conditions.
                [...]
                https://www.newsweek.com/one-texas-r...r-8000-1570343

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Good thing the growth of the human population in Central Nevada is already severely stunted. A little nuclear waste won't hurt them a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    I think there’s a case to be made that individual consumers shouldn’t be making decisions in the commodity markets unless there is some sort of regulatory protection. This is a good example.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I don't think Yucca Mtn ever gets built. Probably more risk in transporting the spent rods to Yucca mtn vs leaving them where they are.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The article below was updated this month and discusses the status of small nuclear power reactors. I haven't made it all the way through the article yet, but thought at least some of you might find it interesting:

https://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...-reactors.aspx
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          The article below was updated this month and discusses the status of small nuclear power reactors. I haven't made it all the way through the article yet, but thought at least some of you might find it interesting:

https://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...-reactors.aspx
                          I need one of these in my backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• After reading that WSJ journal, it doesn't seem like the problem is wind power (although the article ... or was it an editorial? ... makes it out to be the bogeyman). The problem was not having a reliable backup. Everyone knows (or should know) that, without a breakthrough in battery technology, wind is not a reliable permanent power source. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use it (and other green sources) when it does work. But unless we are willing to tolerate blackouts (and its clear that we won't) when wind fails, as it inevitably will from time to time, there has to be a sufficient, reliable backup source. And Texas seemingly failed to provide that at the worst possible time.

I'm certainly not an expert (or even very knowledgeable) in this area, but that was my takeaway from the article/editorial. Turning this into a "green new deal" issue is stupid.

Comment

• https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/

What kills me is that the Texas GOP didn't want to bow to Federal regulations, so it divorced itself from the Federal grid, and now when things go sideways the Texas GOP is lining up to accept Federal disaster relief. What's happening in Texas is horrific, and I have no problem with the Federal government helping in any way it can. Hopefully Texas voters are aware enough to realize how been badly they have been served by GOP policies.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                                After reading that WSJ journal, it doesn't seem like the problem is wind power (although the article ... or was it an editorial? ... makes it out to be the bogeyman). The problem was not having a reliable backup. Everyone knows (or should know) that, without a breakthrough in battery technology, wind is not a reliable permanent power source. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use it (and other green sources) when it does work. But unless we are willing to tolerate blackouts (and its clear that we won't) when wind fails, as it inevitably will from time to time, there has to be a sufficient, reliable backup source. And Texas seemingly failed to provide that at the worst possible time.

I'm certainly not an expert (or even very knowledgeable) in this area, but that was my takeaway from the article/editorial. Turning this into a "green new deal" issue is stupid.
                                All forms of power generation failed in one way or another its seems. I don't see battery technology ever filling the gap (unless the government releases the captured UFO technology they have). We need nuclear.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X