X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wuapinmon
    replied
    Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

I don't like sweating inside either, but 68 in summer is pretty low.

We keep it at 74 summer, maybe 72 for the upstairs AC every once in a while when I'm feeling too hot at night and can't sleep. Of course humidity is low, to say the least, in Utah. 68 winter.
    My kids in winter, "I'm cold." Me, "Go take the dog for a walk; it'll feel nice when you come back inside. Of course, it was 78F here today---in February--so who knows what cold is like anymore.

We also make use of our whole-house fan (attic fan in the South), quite a lot. It'll push all the air out of the house in about a minute, and make the curtains hang sideways in front of a window if there's only one open.

Leave a comment:

• BigFatMeanie
    replied
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    http://energy.sc.gov/node/3069
    Per the Dept. of Energy, I pay an average of 12.34/KwH to my provider Duke Energy Progress. I keep my house at 68F in summer and 64F in winter. 2600 sq ft, brick ranch, with maximum efficiency windows and more the recommended amount of insulation in the attic, ridge vent, and not completely black shingles (I wanted white/reflective, but my wife said, "uhh, no!"). 3/4 the house is on a gas/electric furnace/AC, the other fourth is heatpump for both. We have gas logs in the office where my wife works, right in the middle of the house. They get used a lot.

We spend around $250/month keeping the house at 68F. In the winter months, our bill is well below average because we have a gas furnace (uncommon here because most people can't connect to a gas grid and have to have propane tanks).

I have too many trees to make solar viable here, and I'm down in a draw, so the wind up the hill coming across the coastal plains wouldn't be enough to generate power.

Our powerbill in New Orleans, to keep that 1921 house at 68F, with no f-ing insulation, was $450.

I only like to sweat inside for one reason.
    I don't like sweating inside either, but 68 in summer is pretty low.

We keep it at 74 summer, maybe 72 for the upstairs AC every once in a while when I'm feeling too hot at night and can't sleep. Of course humidity is low, to say the least, in Utah. 68 winter.

Leave a comment:

• wuapinmon
    replied
    http://energy.sc.gov/node/3069
    Per the Dept. of Energy, I pay an average of 12.34/KwH to my provider Duke Energy Progress. I keep my house at 68F in summer and 64F in winter. 2600 sq ft, brick ranch, with maximum efficiency windows and more the recommended amount of insulation in the attic, ridge vent, and not completely black shingles (I wanted white/reflective, but my wife said, "uhh, no!"). 3/4 the house is on a gas/electric furnace/AC, the other fourth is heatpump for both. We have gas logs in the office where my wife works, right in the middle of the house. They get used a lot.

We spend around $250/month keeping the house at 68F. In the winter months, our bill is well below average because we have a gas furnace (uncommon here because most people can't connect to a gas grid and have to have propane tanks).

I have too many trees to make solar viable here, and I'm down in a draw, so the wind up the hill coming across the coastal plains wouldn't be enough to generate power.

Our powerbill in New Orleans, to keep that 1921 house at 68F, with no f-ing insulation, was $450.

I only like to sweat inside for one reason.

Leave a comment:

• The_Tick
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

It seems a solar system there would pay for itself relatively quickly especially if you install it yourself. Labor costs for installing solar are too high, IMHO.
    I have solar on my house. I did the PPA though through Vivint. I will keep my house right around 74 degrees and I will average around $180 a month for electricity between Vivint and PGE. Worth it for my needs.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ted
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

I have two coworkers that have had bills that reach as high as $1,000 a month for July/August/September, because they keep their house around 73 degrees.
    It seems a solar system there would pay for itself relatively quickly especially if you install it yourself. Labor costs for installing solar are too high, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• BigPiney
    replied

I have two coworkers that have had bills that reach as high as $1,000 a month for July/August/September, because they keep their house around 73 degrees.
    Sheesh, not worth it.

My wife freaks when our power bill goes over $200. We use a swamp cooler up here in the desert, so that is way cheaper than AC. Of course the temps will often not drop below 80 in the house, but you get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Diddley
    replied

I might be in that boat if I lived there. The missus hates the heat.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ted
    replied
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Idaho Power:
    June - August
    First 800 kWh - 8.5005¢
    801 - 2000 kWh - 10.2214¢
    Over 2000 kWh - 12.1424¢

September - May
    First 800 kWh - 7.8894¢
    801 - 2000 kWh - 8.7077¢
    Over 2000 kWh - 9.6437¢

Monthly service charge of $5 per month

https://www.idahopower.com/accounts-...for-your-home/

I guess it helps to have so much of the power generated from hydroelectric sources.
    Yeah, those hydroelectric states have the cheapest power. Maybe there should be a fish tax for killing all the salmon.

Leave a comment:

• The_Tick
    replied

I think we just figured out how the national average is so high. Damn.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    California is gross.

PG&E

Baseline - $0.24986
    101%-400% of Baseline - $0.31443
    High Usage Over 400% of Baseline - $0.39304

Baseline is 585 Kwh.

I live in an area where we will go over 100 Degrees for a 90-100 day stretch.

We also pay a $10 a month surcharge.

Imagine keeping your A/C at 80 degrees and still getting a $650 bill for 3 months.
    I think we just figured out how the national average is so high. Damn.

Leave a comment:

• The_Tick
    replied
    California is gross.

PG&E

Baseline - $0.24986
    101%-400% of Baseline - $0.31443
    High Usage Over 400% of Baseline - $0.39304

Baseline is 585 Kwh.

I live in an area where we will go over 100 Degrees for a 90-100 day stretch.

We also pay a $10 a month surcharge.

Imagine keeping your A/C at 80 degrees and still getting a $650 bill for 3 months.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Idaho Power:
    June - August
    First 800 kWh - 8.5005¢
    801 - 2000 kWh - 10.2214¢
    Over 2000 kWh - 12.1424¢

September - May
    First 800 kWh - 7.8894¢
    801 - 2000 kWh - 8.7077¢
    Over 2000 kWh - 9.6437¢

Monthly service charge of $5 per month

https://www.idahopower.com/accounts-...for-your-home/

I guess it helps to have so much of the power generated from hydroelectric sources.
    Last edited by Pelado; 02-24-2021, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BigFatMeanie
    replied
    Utah (Rocky Mountain Power):

Billing Months - June through September
    9.2802¢ per kWh first 400 kWh
    11.9733¢ per kWh all additional kWh

Billing Months - October through May
    8.2126¢ per kWh first 400 kWh
    10.5959¢ per kWh all additional kWh

Fees and taxes and stuff on top of that.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ted
    replied

From that article, it sounds like there are several areas in Texas where purchasing energy from a regulated utility is not an option. Is that right? Do you Texans have a public utility option where you are? Have you done a cost comparison?
    The national average for residential electricity is 13.31 cents per kWh. I am currently paying about 8-9 cents per kWh.

Austin is not deregulated has only a public power option. They pay 10.814 cents per kWh plus customer charges (overhead) plus regulatory charge (ERCOT's 2-3 cents per kWh) plus power supply adjustment plus $10/mo plus 1% austin sales tax.

Leave a comment:

• Moliere
    replied

From that article, it sounds like there are several areas in Texas where purchasing energy from a regulated utility is not an option. Is that right? Do you Texans have a public utility option where you are? Have you done a cost comparison?
    No public utility option in Houston. I can buy power from one of several dozen retail energy providers, however all power is delivered over the same poles and wires so the infrastructure is still regulated like a utility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X