Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/

What kills me is that the Texas GOP didn't want to bow to Federal regulations, so it divorced itself from the Federal grid, and now when things go sideways the Texas GOP is lining up to accept Federal disaster relief. What's happening in Texas is horrific, and I have no problem with the Federal government helping in any way it can. Hopefully Texas voters are aware enough to realize how been badly they have been served by GOP policies.
    We have our own grid for a reason. If our power goes over state lines (in a significant way) then the federal government can regulate it. F that. So we had the power go out for a day or two (mostly due to rolling blackouts). That happens in California all the time, it seems.

Maybe the Harris Administration should just kill Texas out of the union by executive order.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

We have our own grid for a reason. If our power goes over state lines (in a significant way) then the federal government can regulate it. F that. So we had the power go out for a day or two (mostly due to rolling blackouts). That happens in California all the time, it seems.

Maybe the Harris Administration should just kill Texas out of the union by executive order.
      But you're going to happily take the Federal handouts, right? Even after you regulated things yourselves and screwed things up because your regulations sucked? How about you bail yourselves out?
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

If you can look at what happened and not realize that the whole system is FUBAR, I don't know what to say to help you see it. Some truths are just self-evident.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

If you can look at what happened and not realize that the whole system is FUBAR, I don't know what to say to help you see it. Some truths are just self-evident.
          There was a nice article about this in IEEE Spectrum... https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise...re-of-the-grid

I still like having the "freedom to chose" when it comes to power providers... I am currently with a power provider who gets its energy all from green sources. Each month they tell me how many "virtual trees" that I have planted and that gives me lots of "warm fuzzies". However, there needs to be a choice for the people that are too dumb to chose. Maybe the government could be one of the power providers and we could call it the "public option".
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

It’s not FUBAR. There are things to be done to make sure this doesn’t happen again but I don’t think it’s as messed up as you claim. The focus of the power grid has always been hot summers and hurricanes. I think Texas is now realizing they need some additional focus on cold winter weather given the possibility of more extreme winter weather. I have confidence they will adapt and make regulatory changes that are necessary. The biggest change being more regulation (come on PUC!) of winterizing power plants and wind turbines.

But the real question is whether all that cost is even worth it. We don’t bury all transmission and distribution lines even though some of them always get knocked down in hurricanes. We don’t do that because the price tag is too high and people feel that going without power for a week is better than spending $7 billion to bury lines, not to mention the increased cost in servicing those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

There was a nice article about this in IEEE Spectrum... https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise...re-of-the-grid

I still like having the "freedom to chose" when it comes to power providers... I am currently with a power provider who gets its energy all from green sources. Each month they tell me how many "virtual trees" that I have planted and that gives me lots of "warm fuzzies". However, there needs to be a choice for the people that are too dumb to chose. Maybe the government could be one of the power providers and we could call it the "public option".
              I was a fan of deregulation but the wsj article today makes it clear the Texans are paying more for power under deregulation than they would have under a regulated structure

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-e..._copyURL_share

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I was a fan of deregulation but the wsj article today makes it clear the Texans are paying more for power under deregulation than they would have under a regulated structure

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-e..._copyURL_share

From that article, it sounds like there are several areas in Texas where purchasing energy from a regulated utility is not an option. Is that right? Do you Texans have a public utility option where you are? Have you done a cost comparison?
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

From that article, it sounds like there are several areas in Texas where purchasing energy from a regulated utility is not an option. Is that right? Do you Texans have a public utility option where you are? Have you done a cost comparison?
                  No public utility option in Houston. I can buy power from one of several dozen retail energy providers, however all power is delivered over the same poles and wires so the infrastructure is still regulated like a utility.

Comment

The national average for residential electricity is 13.31 cents per kWh. I am currently paying about 8-9 cents per kWh.

Austin is not deregulated has only a public power option. They pay 10.814 cents per kWh plus customer charges (overhead) plus regulatory charge (ERCOT's 2-3 cents per kWh) plus power supply adjustment plus $10/mo plus 1% austin sales tax.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Utah (Rocky Mountain Power):

Billing Months - June through September
                      9.2802¢ per kWh first 400 kWh
                      11.9733¢ per kWh all additional kWh

Billing Months - October through May
                      8.2126¢ per kWh first 400 kWh
                      10.5959¢ per kWh all additional kWh

Fees and taxes and stuff on top of that.

Comment

• Idaho Power:
                        June - August
                        First 800 kWh - 8.5005¢
                        801 - 2000 kWh - 10.2214¢
                        Over 2000 kWh - 12.1424¢

September - May
                        First 800 kWh - 7.8894¢
                        801 - 2000 kWh - 8.7077¢
                        Over 2000 kWh - 9.6437¢

Monthly service charge of $5 per month

https://www.idahopower.com/accounts-...for-your-home/

I guess it helps to have so much of the power generated from hydroelectric sources.
                        Last edited by Pelado; 02-24-2021, 07:46 PM.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• California is gross.

PG&E

Baseline - $0.24986
                          101%-400% of Baseline - $0.31443
                          High Usage Over 400% of Baseline - $0.39304

Baseline is 585 Kwh.

I live in an area where we will go over 100 Degrees for a 90-100 day stretch.

We also pay a $10 a month surcharge.

Imagine keeping your A/C at 80 degrees and still getting a $650 bill for 3 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            California is gross.

PG&E

Baseline - $0.24986
                            101%-400% of Baseline - $0.31443
                            High Usage Over 400% of Baseline - $0.39304

Baseline is 585 Kwh.

I live in an area where we will go over 100 Degrees for a 90-100 day stretch.

We also pay a $10 a month surcharge.

Imagine keeping your A/C at 80 degrees and still getting a $650 bill for 3 months.
                            I think we just figured out how the national average is so high. Damn.
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I think we just figured out how the national average is so high. Damn.
                              I have two coworkers that have had bills that reach as high as $1,000 a month for July/August/September, because they keep their house around 73 degrees.

Comment

Idaho Power:
                                June - August
                                First 800 kWh - 8.5005¢
                                801 - 2000 kWh - 10.2214¢
                                Over 2000 kWh - 12.1424¢

September - May
                                First 800 kWh - 7.8894¢
                                801 - 2000 kWh - 8.7077¢
                                Over 2000 kWh - 9.6437¢

Monthly service charge of $5 per month

https://www.idahopower.com/accounts-...for-your-home/

I guess it helps to have so much of the power generated from hydroelectric sources.
                                Yeah, those hydroelectric states have the cheapest power. Maybe there should be a fish tax for killing all the salmon.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X