Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

The right to choose what?
    I think everyone here, including yourself, knows what choices are being referred to when discussing pro-choice. It's possible to be personally opposed to abortion but still allow for others to have different views and to act differently. That's what freedom is all about. You might think abortion is a sin in the eyes of God and that God's will should prevail, but when it comes to public policy, God is irrelevant. The biggest threat facing our country today is Christian Nationalist who are itching to trade-in democracy for authoritarianism, because they think they know the will of God and think nothing is more important than appeasing God. Frankly I'm starting to get annoyed by the whole God thing.
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I think everyone here, including yourself, knows what choices are being referred to when discussing pro-choice. It's possible to be personally opposed to abortion but still allow for others to have different views and to act differently. That's what freedom is all about. You might think abortion is a sin in the eyes of God and that God's will should prevail, but when it comes to public policy, God is irrelevant. The biggest threat facing our country today is Christian Nationalist who are itching to trade-in democracy for authoritarianism, because they think they know the will of God and think nothing is more important than appeasing God. Frankly I'm starting to get annoyed by the whole God thing.
      None of what you are typing here is relevant to the main point. If you can't understand why a catholic doing the sign of the cross at an abortion rally might be offensive to catholics, there is something wrong with you.

And for the record, I think it was the dementia.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Hey, if you want to maintain there is a meaningful distinction between being promoting abortion and promoting the right to choose abortion, you do you. Just be consistent and make sure to tell everyone that the Civil War was about State's Rights.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Oh man. That is a funny take.

And literally everyone is calling it an abortion rally. He was speaking directly under a banner than read, "Restore Roe".
          so ...patients can not die when they need a live saving procedure. is this worse than the 3-4 states allowing woman to die?
          restore roe so people wont die. seems very in line with God.

Comment

• It's freaking WILD that the Church's stance on abortion is more liberal than a number of states'.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              I keep seeing on Twitter that Biden is proposing a capital gains tax increase to 44.6% but didn't see any sourcing. So I looked it up and it looks like they're proposing to raise capital gains taxes on people with a taxable income of over $1M.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...orm-FY2025.pdf

I don't think it's a good idea to propose to raise taxes in an election year, even if it's on the rich. I think it's a worse idea to justify it because it primarily hurts white people.
              Please note that this proposal would include a 25% tax on UNREALIZED capital gains. But don't worry, it is mainly targeted at rich white people.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Please note that this proposal would include a 25% tax on UNREALIZED capital gains. But don't worry, it is mainly targeted at rich white people.
                A tax on unrealized capital gains is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Maybe I won’t vote for Biden after all.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

A tax on unrealized capital gains is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Maybe I won’t vote for Biden after all.
                  Meh, would not be able to pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Yes. It is mind-numbingly stupid. Bunch of idiots.

Comment

Hey, if you want to maintain there is a meaningful distinction between being promoting abortion and promoting the right to choose abortion, you do you. Just be consistent and make sure to tell everyone that the Civil War was about State's Rights.
                      For a smart person person, that is a really stupid analogy. You frame the argument as pro-abortion, as if pro-choice people are sitting on the sidelines, hoping a woman chooses to get an abortion when she becomes pregnant. If that's the way you want to frame the argument, then you do you.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

There are actually a couple of different proposals that would tax unrealized gains:
                        • Income tax recognized when appreciated assets are transferred by gift or at death (excluding spousal transfers, charitable contributions, principal residences, etc.). I don't see a particular tax rate mentioned, but it seems that they would include the (unrealized) gain on the return of the donor or the final return of the decedent. Assuming the other proposals are also enacted, for those over $1 million in taxable income, the federal tax rate on those unrealized gains could be as high as 44.6% (39.6% top marginal rate + 5% net investment income tax).
                        • Minimum tax imposed on those with net assets exceeding $100 million. This proposal would enact a 25% minimum tax on total income of those with net worth exceeding $100 million. The total income would include unrealized gains. There is already an alternative minimum tax (AMT), but the AMT as currently constituted does not consider unrealized gains.
                        There are a lot of reasons why each of these proposals could be pretty terrible fiscal policy.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus

Can someone be claiming to be pro life if they aren't against laws that do not protect a woman's life in case of emergency abortions?
                          Sure. I wouldn’t agree with their policy preferences, though.

Comment

For a smart person person, that is a really stupid analogy. You frame the argument as pro-abortion, as if pro-choice people are sitting on the sidelines, hoping a woman chooses to get an abortion when she becomes pregnant. If that's the way you want to frame the argument, then you do you.
                            I guess I’m just not smart enough to see how framing “the right to choose” as not being “pro abortion” is not disingenuous.

Comment

Sure. I wouldn’t agree with their policy preferences, though.
                              Do you think it is idea states can decide to this is better over individuals making the choice?

if youre going to group all pro choicers with pro abortion, why doesnt the shoe fit the other way

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post

Do you think it is idea states can decide to this is better over individuals making the choice?

if youre going to group all pro choicers with pro abortion, why doesnt the shoe fit the other way
                                I’m not sure what you are saying. Could you edit or ask differently?

Comment

Working...
                                X