2024 Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    If Biden would dump Kamala Harris and go with a VP with half a brain, he would be much more palatable and certain types of voters would be more willing to take a risk on him; but the handlers and operators in the Democratic Party would never let that happen because certain types of voters would lose their minds if Biden dumped Kamala.
    Agreed

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

They keep pushing fear, but they have moved the boogie man to keep the fear fresh.

The tea party was mostly about fiscal conservatism and limited government spending and reach.

Now grievances are about immigration and wokeness. Not much about limited government anymore.

If they want to keep pushing fear, they will need to adapt.

The culture wars will especially get old.
      They'll just find a new group to hate.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

They'll just find a new group to hate.
        Grievance and emotion has always been a part of each party, it just varies on how much of it reaches a critical mass. We've had a great run in this country of very little populism or grievance focus since the end of Jim Crow until Trump. It's been there on both sides, but not ascendant. No longer.

I talk with a few people who are conservative and can't wait until Trump is no longer a factor so the GOP can return to what they were. I dont think it will return to what it was. Im not even sure that the GOP will be around in 15 years, gone the way of the Whig Party. But the DNC is not going to be what it was either. Biden is the president, but it's not his party. Society has changed and the philosophical clashes between and within parties are in full force. The grievance and anger in the GOP lies heavy with the boomers right now while the grievance and anger in the DNC lies primarily with the youth. I don't think the grievance politics will be going away anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

My comment was meant to highlight the all or nothing approach of fusnik, which is ridiculous. If I vote for 99 Ds and 1 R, I haven't done enough to satisfy him.

I hope people research all the races they intend to vote in and choose whoever represents their views the most.
          My litmus is Trump support. Right now the members of the party and the apparatus are all in on Trump based on money spend, endorsements and direction.

If you can find a candidate that hasn’t endorsed Trump or has expressed even tacit reticence in the momentum of the party, I’m all in.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post

My litmus is Trump support. Right now the members of the party and the apparatus are all in on Trump based on money spend, endorsements and direction.

If you can find a candidate that hasn’t endorsed Trump or has expressed even tacit reticence in the momentum of the party, I’m all in.
            100% agree. My antipathy for Trump is about 10% about policy and 90% about threat to democracy. If you're conservative I might not agree with you, but I'm willing to work with you in shaping policy, but if you endorse Trump, you're my enemy.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

100% agree. My antipathy for Trump is about 10% about policy and 90% about threat to democracy. If you're conservative I might not agree with you, but I'm willing to work with you in shaping policy, but if you endorse Trump, you're my enemy.
              Is this a hypothetical? How much policy shaping are you actually doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

Is this a hypothetical? How much policy shaping are you actually doing?
                Lol.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Trump bemoans lack of immigrants from majority-white countries to the US | Donald Trump | The Guardian

This is such a perfect example of why the media sucks and isnt the left wing bogeyman so many think it is:

6 years ago he does the shithole countries rant. Inside the meeting he gets pushback that if you remove Haitians from immigration lists, everyone will know why you removed that group of people.

Story breaks. White House denies he said that, he tweets he didnt call them shithole coutnries. The GOP attacks the media because of unnamed sources. GOP protects Trump and everyone retreats to their corners, half the country says hes a racist, the other half says he didn't mean it racially, just that those countries suck if he did call them shithole.

This weekend he goes full white nationalist to a group of some of the richest people in the country, he gets a good laugh, admits the shithole country story is true, and the media ignores his racism and instead prints that he allegedly raised 50mm.

Comment

This is such a perfect example of why the media sucks and isnt the left wing bogeyman so many think it is:
                    So the media is a right-wing bogeyman? I am not sure I follow your logic here.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Trump bemoans lack of immigrants from majority-white countries to the US | Donald Trump | The Guardian

6 years ago he does the shithole countries rant. Inside the meeting he gets pushback that if you remove Haitians from immigration lists, everyone will know why you removed that group of people.

Story breaks. White House denies he said that, he tweets he didnt call them shithole coutnries. The GOP attacks the media because of unnamed sources. GOP protects Trump and everyone retreats to their corners, half the country says hes a racist, the other half says he didn't mean it racially, just that those countries suck if he did call them shithole.

This weekend he goes full white nationalist to a group of some of the richest people in the country, he gets a good laugh, admits the shithole country story is true, and the media ignores his racism and instead prints that he allegedly raised 50mm.

lol there is absolutely no way he raised that sum. Somebody did the math based on guests and expected/suggested donations for their level of accommodation at the event, and it might have shaken out closer to between 15-20m maximum. Kind of a lot of effort to go to just to pay Trump's legal bills for a few months...
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

So the media is a right-wing bogeyman? I am not sure I follow your logic here.
                        No.

Comment

• Lol at ignoring that whole thing.

Comment

No.
                            OK. I was curious why "the media sucks" in this case, given both incidents were all over my news feeds.

Comment

• It's the first I'm hearing it. I did hear about the 50 million dollar fundraiser though.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                                It's the first I'm hearing it. I did hear about the 50 million dollar fundraiser though.
                                Isn't it a coincidence that 50 millions dollars is exactly twice of what Biden earned at his fundraiser?

Comment

Working...
                                X