2024 Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27881

    #2731
    Originally posted by falafel View Post

    Yeah, what is driving this? There are like 500k users of that twitter ripoff (not sure how twitter hasn't sued it out of existence, except that, well, Elon). Its not worth anything near 6 billion (and that its only the possible value of Trump's shares).





    https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/26/marke...ial/index.html
    It’s traded for one day on the exchange. There’s a reason IPO investors have to hold for six months. Let’s check back after two earnings cycles and see where it is then.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25268

      #2732
      His smirk when he says it's his favorite book says everything.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37987

        #2733
        We've got to bring back religion? Its going to come back, and its going to come back very strong.

        I also love the idea that Trump doesn't want us doing anything to "offend God". Remind us what those Thou Shalts and Thou Shalt Nots are again?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • USUC
          Chronic Poseur
          • Apr 2010
          • 8793

          #2734
          Originally posted by Commando View Post

          Interesting. I am from Eastern Idaho (where most everybody is practically maga or maga-adjacent in their beliefs) but feel like this is a foreign take or at least one I haven't heard/considered, but it makes sense when I look at what the right wing pundits carry on about. I have never understood the pushback on education (yeah we get it that Christian fundamentalists don't like academics and haven't since evolution started), but I think those cultural differences are being politically exploited. After all, how much outrage are we going to feign for 'gender studies' or 'critical race theory?' People are so worried about their kids getting brainwashed at school they forget to not get brainwashed by hypnotic 'news' channels funneling so many of their talking points into your diet of Fox News, ( 'news' has become a pretty loose term). I hate the stupid culture war crap, which has turned 'patriots' into people who proudly proclaim 'maybe we need a dictator-- I hate to say it!' And no, that's not everybody- it's just the far right guys who dress up and turn out. But it has effects to the left of the spectrum far enough to be concerning.
          Outside of the bombastic knuckleheads of conservative media, you won't hear many people say "elites" when referencing their dislike for Biden. It's an umbrella term for a number of issues they are unsatisfied with. It could mean the gender stuff, it could mean the public health officials exercising punitive power outside of their expertise, it could be the teachers unions who managed the pandemic poorly and were nakedly politically driven, it could be the student loan forgiveness that favors the workers in the governemnt and sectors that support Biden, etc.

          Originally posted by fusnik View Post

          lol.

          Thanks Rich Lowry for explaining to us why you and your family will vote for Trump!

          Your post reads like democrats live in District 1 of the Hunger Games and the real Americans live in Distrcit 13 and just want to rid themselves of President Snow.

          This profile you’ve created of the Trump supporter dismisses the fact that 30% of rural Americans are democrats. Also minimizes that rural Americans and those outside the power structures of NYC and LA are overrepresented in the government, judiciary and own an entire ecosystem of social media/news.

          I’ll save you the explanation, what this is is grievance politics. Half the country isn’t interested in building a better tomorrow, they are interested in making the other half pay for Obama and Trump is the perfect foil to express one’s racism without having to call someone a nigger.
          Grievance politics is modern politics. This isn't unique to the right. The progressive movement's playback was taken by the current bomb throwers on the right. The grievance politics of the left is every bit as vicious and malicious as the right. There was a time when both Democrats and Republicans resisted this type of politics from their extremes (the religious right and the socialist left). But we live in a populist age. Biden is not as harmful of Trump. But the populist fever on the left and right is equally damaging to society. Each side can minimize their own crazies but they are both terrible for the country.

          Comment

          • PaloAltoCougar
            Semper infra dignitatem
            • Nov 2008
            • 16936

            #2735
            The weird belief among certain evangelicals and others that Trump is a religious person is an ongoing source of amusement and bewilderment for me. When any sentient being examines Trump's past, it's absolutely clear that his religion-related comments are made solely for political expediency and financial gain. Yes, I've read the claim that not a dollar from sales will go to Trump or his campaign, but I'd bet the farm that upfront money, before sales, was paid to him. Such a disgusting con man. If anyone can cite a single example at any point in Trump's life of Christ-like behavior, I'm all ears.

            Comment

            • Commando
              Explosivo
              • Feb 2009
              • 20748

              #2736
              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              The weird belief among certain evangelicals and others that Trump is a religious person is an ongoing source of amusement and bewilderment for me. When any sentient being examines Trump's past, it's absolutely clear that his religion-related comments are made solely for political expediency and financial gain. Yes, I've read the claim that not a dollar from sales will go to Trump or his campaign, but I'd bet the farm that upfront money, before sales, was paid to him. Such a disgusting con man. If anyone can cite a single example at any point in Trump's life of Christ-like behavior, I'm all ears.
              THEY'RE ONLY ARRESTING TRUMP BECAUSE HE'S IN THE WAY OF US!!!
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

              Comment

              • Maximus
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 6021

                #2737
                Originally posted by USUC View Post

                You, like many educated centrists have a fairly big blind spot to the vulnerabilities of the Biden coalition. "Elites" and elite institutions are on trial. You rightly name all these things that Trump and his cronies are guilty of. And all of this is a huge indictment on his character and fitness to be a president. But Biden is a part of, represents, and advocates on behalf of the elite class. And the elite class has been pretty awful as of late. Americans are generally ruled by the elite administrative state. Culture is shaped by the education system (which is increasingly batshit) and entertainment. Legacy media is a mouthpiece of the privileged class. It's kind of gross and overindulgent and everyone who isn't part of that class can see it. So it's the overwhelming power and corruption of the elite institutions vs sleezeball Trump.

                It shouldnt be a surprise a lot of people view him as just a guy. That his cronies have no power without him. MAGA falls like a house of cards without him. He's an underdog against the system. I am more bullish on Biden's chances today than I was last month. This "anger at elites" may ultimately not be a winning strategy, especially given the grifters who have taken on the mantle of fighting for the little guy. But it shouldn't be surprising that Biden isn't the obvious choice to a lot of people out there.
                trump is more elite than biden??

                Comment

                • Commando
                  Explosivo
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 20748

                  #2738
                  Originally posted by Maximus View Post

                  trump is more elite than biden??
                  NO you're getting this all wrong. He's the Every-man-champion-except-literally-shits-in-a-golden-toilet.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                  Comment

                  • USUC
                    Chronic Poseur
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 8793

                    #2739
                    Originally posted by Maximus View Post

                    trump is more elite than biden??
                    Trump is an avatar. He is whatever his supporters want him to be. Trump is by definition an elite. But he is the enemy of progressive elites and elite institutions in the eyes of those who may vote for him.

                    Comment

                    • fusnik
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4475

                      #2740
                      Originally posted by USUC View Post

                      Trump is an avatar. He is whatever his supporters want him to be. Trump is by definition an elite. But he is the enemy of progressive elites and elite institutions in the eyes of those who may vote for him.
                      AKA he is Jim Jones and hes concocting the Jonestown brew.

                      And why are we supposed to take any of these people seriously?

                      Comment

                      • USUC
                        Chronic Poseur
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 8793

                        #2741
                        Originally posted by fusnik View Post

                        AKA he is Jim Jones and hes concocting the Jonestown brew.

                        And why are we supposed to take any of these people seriously?
                        You may be the most apocalyptic person I have ever encountered.

                        Comment

                        • fusnik
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4475

                          #2742
                          Originally posted by USUC View Post

                          You may be the most apocalyptic person I have ever encountered.
                          Has he, and his movement, not led thousands to premature death during COVID?

                          Did he not lead thousands to the attempted coup of our country?

                          Are hundreds not arrested, charged and jailed for his psychopathy?

                          Even after all this has he not corrupted a political movement and has millions of devoted followers?

                          Comment

                          • Non Sequitur
                            Where did I put my bodkin
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5773

                            #2743
                            Originally posted by Commando View Post

                            Wouldn't it be so unlike Donald Trump for one of his assets to be obscenely overvalued so that he could sell it higher or take out a loan against it?
                            I'm not sure any banks would like it as collateral, but I can easily imagine Trump selling off his shares when they're this high.
                            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                            Comment

                            • Non Sequitur
                              Where did I put my bodkin
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5773

                              #2744
                              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              The weird belief among certain evangelicals and others that Trump is a religious person is an ongoing source of amusement and bewilderment for me. When any sentient being examines Trump's past, it's absolutely clear that his religion-related comments are made solely for political expediency and financial gain. Yes, I've read the claim that not a dollar from sales will go to Trump or his campaign, but I'd bet the farm that upfront money, before sales, was paid to him. Such a disgusting con man. If anyone can cite a single example at any point in Trump's life of Christ-like behavior, I'm all ears.
                              I guarantee you that Trump is not a fan of God. Trump takes shots at Lincoln, because it bugs him that Lincoln is more revered than he. I can only imagine how people revering God more than him must annoy Trump.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                              Comment

                              • Commando
                                Explosivo
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 20748

                                #2745
                                Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                                I guarantee you that Trump is not a fan of God. Trump takes shots at Lincoln, because it bugs him that Lincoln is more revered than he. I can only imagine how people revering God more than him must annoy Trump.
                                What do you mean he's not a fan of God?!? You don't see Biden out here selling autographed, Biden-approved King James Version Bibles at $60 a pop, do you? HA!
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                                Comment

                                Working...