Official Glenn Beck thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69717

    #76
    Originally posted by venkman View Post
    Sorry, but that quote is just silly. Of course, that's not Beck's "definition" of social justice, and Prof. Jackson knows it.
    Actually, it is a perfectly valid response given the blunt-force manner in which Beck framed his original challenge. According to Beck, simply finding the words "social justice" on a church website is sufficient grounds for abandoning the church. He offered zero nuance. Why would you demand it in return?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Hallelujah
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 2741

      #77
      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
      Come on, Lebowski.

      Both are in the business of political commentary.
      Difference between the two is that Beck is hugely successful. And Stewart / Colbert's followers are mainly 20-30 year olds. Those of us that will be left with a huge invoice after Obama gets his way. Then it won't be so funny.

      http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ies_poll_.html
      Last edited by Hallelujah; 03-16-2010, 10:34 PM.

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #78
        It's amazing to me how similar the rhetoric about Obama is to what I was hearing in 1993 about the sitting president.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • myboynoah
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 21719

          #79
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          It's amazing to me how similar the rhetoric about Obama is to what I was hearing in 1993 about the sitting president.
          Why is that amazing? I'm not surprised that those that are right of center would have similar complaints about presidents that they see as left of center.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #80
            Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            Why is that amazing? I'm not surprised that those that are right of center would have similar complaints about presidents that they see as left of center.
            It's amazing because Clinton and Obama are hardly similar at all politically. Clinton was downright conservative compared to our President, but the rhetoric is the same. The 1996 election was the first time I remember hearing the "Anyone but Clinton" line (I bought it back then), and now look at the Presidents that that way of thinking has given us.

            Make no mistake, I'm not an Obama fan, I just though he would do less damage than McCain, and maybe even fix a few things. Sadly, the Democratic leadership has pretty much proven their incompetency, and the November elections will show them, quickly and surely, just how pissed off the electorate is.

            Unless things get worked out in Congress, quickly, then I see a major seat swap in the November elections. I predict many party changes of seats in the moderate states.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • I.J. Reilly
              Nobody's Fool
              • Apr 2009
              • 2949

              #81
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              It's amazing because Clinton and Obama are hardly similar at all politically. Clinton was downright conservative compared to our President, but the rhetoric is the same. The 1996 election was the first time I remember hearing the "Anyone but Clinton" line (I bought it back then), and now look at the Presidents that that way of thinking has given us.

              Make no mistake, I'm not an Obama fan, I just though he would do less damage than McCain, and maybe even fix a few things. Sadly, the Democratic leadership has pretty much proven their incompetency, and the November elections will show them, quickly and surely, just how pissed off the electorate is.

              Unless things get worked out in Congress, quickly, then I see a major seat swap in the November elections. I predict many party changes of seats in the moderate states.
              In 1993 I wrote a letter to the President and told him he was a bad man and should not have been elected. I never heard back from him Of course, it is entirely possible that my parents never mailed the letter.

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27886

                #82
                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                It's amazing because Clinton and Obama are hardly similar at all politically. Clinton was downright conservative compared to our President, but the rhetoric is the same. The 1996 election was the first time I remember hearing the "Anyone but Clinton" line (I bought it back then), and now look at the Presidents that that way of thinking has given us.

                Make no mistake, I'm not an Obama fan, I just though he would do less damage than McCain, and maybe even fix a few things. Sadly, the Democratic leadership has pretty much proven their incompetency, and the November elections will show them, quickly and surely, just how pissed off the electorate is.

                Unless things get worked out in Congress, quickly, then I see a major seat swap in the November elections. I predict many party changes of seats in the moderate states.
                Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm going off what I've heard (since I wasn't old enough to understand politics back in 1993) but I thought Clinton was very liberal coming into office. It wasn't until his healthcare bill flopped that we came back more to the "left of center" position and that's when he really made his mark as a good executive. Based on this, if true, the Clinton and Obama first two years may be similar.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #83
                  I got off of the Beck bandwaggon quite a while ago. Back when I heard him heading in the America is going in the toilet stuff.

                  Look, I think we are heading in a very different direction than I would want the country to go. Do I think Obama is a socialist, your damn rights I do. Not a boogey man socialist, but the type you find in Europe. If he and his friends get us there, well we aren't in the toilet. I don't consider England, France, Canada and Germany as toilet countries.

                  I wish Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity would just tell the American people where we are headed, European style governments. Forget all the doomsday crap. Let the people decide. If the people here in America are now more like Robin than me, well so be it. Folks have to adapt.
                  Last edited by byu71; 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM.

                  Comment

                  • myboynoah
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 21719

                    #84
                    Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm going off what I've heard (since I wasn't old enough to understand politics back in 1993) but I thought Clinton was very liberal coming into office. It wasn't until his healthcare bill flopped that we came back more to the "left of center" position and that's when he really made his mark as a good executive. Based on this, if true, the Clinton and Obama first two years may be similar.
                    That's a fairly good synopsis. After the Mass election some comentators talked of Obama doing a pivot similar to that of Clinton to more moderate positions. It appears that hasn't happened.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #85
                      Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                      Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm going off what I've heard (since I wasn't old enough to understand politics back in 1993) but I thought Clinton was very liberal coming into office. It wasn't until his healthcare bill flopped that we came back more to the "left of center" position and that's when he really made his mark as a good executive. Based on this, if true, the Clinton and Obama first two years may be similar.
                      That's probably an accurate description of what happened. I was abroad from 1993-1995, so my knowledge of the details is a little hazy. I didn't get much but the early rancor after his inauguration.
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69717

                        #86
                        Time to resurrect this thread. Enjoy:

                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • frank ryan
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12379

                          #87
                          lol

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #88
                            Beck has lost a lot of his ardent following. You can't even successfully use him as troll bait over on CB.

                            Comment

                            • frank ryan
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12379

                              #89
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Beck has lost a lot of his ardent following. You can't even successfully use him as troll bait over on CB.
                              i try to watch his show occasionally. it doesnt strike me as political. it is like he is trying to share his testimony that communism is bad with a family home evening group. it is strange, anyone else get that vibe from him?

                              Comment

                              • byu71
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22070

                                #90
                                Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                i try to watch his show occasionally. it doesnt strike me as political. it is like he is trying to share his testimony that communism is bad with a family home evening group. it is strange, anyone else get that vibe from him?
                                I watch his show on occasion. He seems to like to string a bunch of facts together and then somehow put those facts together into some kind of conspiracy.

                                It is kind of like BYU beat x, x beat y, y beat p and p beat the national champ. Therefor BYU should be the national champ.

                                Comment

                                Working...