2013 Holiday Running Challenge!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16936

    #31
    Nice work, Moliere. I'll announce now that unless "overeating" is added as a scoring activity, I'll be AWOL November 19-24.

    Comment

    • hostile
      lollygagger
      • Dec 2009
      • 5736

      #32
      Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
      thanks Moliere, looks great. So....does ping pong count?
      There is a 0.625 multiplier
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

      "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #33
        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Nice work, Moliere. I'll announce now that unless "overeating" is added as a scoring activity, I'll be AWOL November 19-24.
        PAC, is Mrs. PAC going to be competing this year, now that we've added the cycling? If so, I propose that we reduce the cycling to a 10 to 1 ratio, or else I'm sunk.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • PaloAltoCougar
          Semper infra dignitatem
          • Nov 2008
          • 16936

          #34
          Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
          PAC, is Mrs. PAC going to be competing this year, now that we've added the cycling? If so, I propose that we reduce the cycling to a 10 to 1 ratio, or else I'm sunk.
          No, I've imposed a ban. If she's not going to post here (and she's not), to heck with her. She limits her board participation to cleaning up after me at various board functions, and to tolerating my bringing her up to date on board developments. She's got another 350 miles or so to go to reach 5,000 miles this year and she'll almost certainly get it. We don't want her kind here.

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #35
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            No, I've imposed a ban. If she's not going to post here (and she's not), to heck with her. She limits her board participation to cleaning up after me at various board functions, and to tolerating my bringing her up to date on board developments. She's got another 350 miles or so to go to reach 5,000 miles this year and she'll almost certainly get it. We don't want her kind here.
            Unreal. I will have only done 2500 this year - and I trained for a freaking Ironman. I just checked and I haven't cycled 5000 miles total, period.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • Jarid in Cedar
              CS Institutional Memory
              • Jun 2009
              • 13234

              #36
              I am training for a sprint triathalon on December 14th near Phoenix, so I should have some mileage to add to the totals.
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

              -Rick Majerus

              Comment

              • Jarid in Cedar
                CS Institutional Memory
                • Jun 2009
                • 13234

                #37
                PS. Any chance to add swimming distance? I just did 1200 meters tonight and that will be a consistent part of my program between now and the end of the year. I think I have seen ratios that rate swimming as a 1:4 when compared to running.
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                -Rick Majerus

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27877

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  PS. Any chance to add swimming distance? I just did 1200 meters tonight and that will be a consistent part of my program between now and the end of the year. I think I have seen ratios that rate swimming as a 1:4 when compared to running.
                  I'd consider it if there would be more participants, but given the relative lack of activity in swimming on the board I think it would be more of a niche activity. I also swim 1-2 times per week so it would help me as well in the challenge, but unless we are going to have a steady stream of swimmers I'd prefer to exclude it.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    I'd consider it if there would be more participants, but given the relative lack of activity in swimming on the board I think it would be more of a niche activity. I also swim 1-2 times per week so it would help me as well in the challenge, but unless we are going to have a steady stream of swimmers I'd prefer to exclude it.
                    I think you should add it (and I'm planning on swimming oh...not at all). I know you have to draw a line somewhere, so draw it at the triathlon. That makes as much, or really more, sense as drawing it at the duathlon.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • happyone
                      Board Bookworm
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 5398

                      #40
                      I'll just continue my walking/jogging routine

                      I don't want to get too caught up in this physical fitness thing

                      I may be small, but I'm slow.

                      A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                      Comment

                      • Moliere
                        One man.....one pie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 27877

                        #41
                        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        I think you should add it (and I'm planning on swimming oh...not at all). I know you have to draw a line somewhere, so draw it at the triathlon. That makes as much, or really more, sense as drawing it at the duathlon.
                        I slept on it and am fine adding it. I really don't like converting stuff to running miles, which is where the challenge stopped last year, but I guess to get broader participation adding swimming will help. Also, if I get injured again I'll just spend more time in the pool . I just want to avoid the difficulty of converting to calories or allowing stuff like golf or basketball and just focus on cardio intensive exercises. I think we got that well covered now with the triathlon.

                        It probably also helped that I swam 1,000 meters last night....

                        I put the swimming in with a multiplier of 4 (like JiC mentioned) but let me know if you guys think this multiplier should be raised/lowered? A multiplier of 4 seems about right to me since it would put my 1,000 meter swim at around 2.5 running miles and given I'm a novice swimmer that is about right.

                        FYI, swimming has to be entered into the spreadsheet in miles, just like everything else. So my 1,000 meter swim would go in as 0.62 miles.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                        Comment

                        • ewth8tr
                          Reverend of Irreverence
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2347

                          #42
                          I'm in.

                          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

                          Comment

                          • bluegoose
                            7th round draft pick
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4121

                            #43
                            That's a good looking spreadsheet, Moliere. I'm somewhat glad that you included swimming this time. I'm doing a tri in the spring and hope to start putting in some base miles in the next couple of months.

                            I primarily run this time of year, but hope to get out on the bike once or twice a week through the winter. My son is planning a 50 miler with his scout troop on Nov 23rd, which of course I am signed up to help out with. All I know is that sucker had better not take more than 4 hours, as I have an important meeting with NBC and some homemade Japanese food that day from 12:30-3:30pm that I cannot miss or be late for.
                            :byu1:

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #44
                              I would just like to point out that I am currently ranked number 1 in cycling, running and swimming as well as overall. This may not happen again so I thought I would just point that out.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              • Joe Public
                                8.1 YPC
                                • Apr 2011
                                • 8524

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                                I am training for a sprint triathalon on December 14th near Phoenix, so I should have some mileage to add to the totals.
                                Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                                That's a good looking spreadsheet, Moliere. I'm somewhat glad that you included swimming this time. I'm doing a tri in the spring and hope to start putting in some base miles in the next couple of months.
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                                "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                                Comment

                                Working...