The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lambdacoug
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 3981

    #1156
    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    Losing weight and getting healthy (not the same thing) are both about learning about the body you live in and how it works. About finding your mental and physical limits and then pushing them. About becoming sensitive to how what you intake affects your physical output. About spending time alone in your head atoning for your physical sins - gluttony and sloth were mine. About making the connection between mind and body, willpower and desire, moderation and indulgence.

    Sometimes I look back at what I started three and a half years ago (seriously, that's how long I've been doing this; what a difference a couple of years makes!) and laugh at how little I knew about what I was getting into. I also look at how much happier I am now.

    The actual numbers for all of us are different - weight to lose, mile times, etc. Preferred exercise, goals, are different as well. But please keep moving the direction you are. I can't promise it will be easy. It will probably be hard, and that you'll have bad days and you'll fail now and again. But if you pick yourself up on those days and try again tomorrow, I can promise the end result is worth it.
    Thank you for the words of encouragement.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

    Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

    Comment

    • lambdacoug
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 3981

      #1157
      Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
      What I was doing last night I wouldn't even quantify as running. I would call it "jogging motion in extremely short strides".

      Probably jogging slightly faster than I walk briskly. But I was sweating like a stuck pick, and breathing like I was outrunning a bear.

      It will be good.

      TK2 is joining me on Thursday.
      The last 5k I "ran", my 14 year old daughter easily walked alongside me the last mile as I "jogged". Keep at it!
      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
      - Howard Aiken

      Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
      - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #1158
        Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        What I was doing last night I wouldn't even quantify as running. I would call it "jogging motion in extremely short strides".

        Probably jogging slightly faster than I walk briskly. But I was sweating like a stuck pick, and breathing like I was outrunning a bear.

        It will be good.

        TK2 is joining me on Thursday.
        I looked up the first mile I "ran" when I started exercising. It took me 15 minutes and that was pushing it. I thought I was going to die afterwards.

        Don't worry about being fast or looking good or any of those things. There is only one competitor - you - and the competition is your mind over your body. If you get up the next day and do it again, you win. That is the only criteria that matters.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • bluegoose
          7th round draft pick
          • Nov 2008
          • 4121

          #1159
          Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
          Speaking of The Paul Ryan claim, anyone see this recent New Yorker piece? A fun and interesting read. http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/201...fa_fact_singer
          That was a fascinating story.

          Comment

          • The_Tick
            Made something of myself
            • Nov 2008
            • 7291

            #1160
            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            I looked up the first mile I "ran" when I started exercising. It took me 15 minutes and that was pushing it. I thought I was going to die afterwards.

            Don't worry about being fast or looking good or any of those things. There is only one competitor - you - and the competition is your mind over your body. If you get up the next day and do it again, you win. That is the only criteria that matters.
            Yup.

            Athiest....did you use an app? I am using 5kRunner. Did you use the C25K app?

            Comment

            • lambdacoug
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2011
              • 3981

              #1161
              Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              Yup.

              Athiest....did you use an app? I am using 5kRunner. Did you use the C25K app?
              I used c25k Pro [1] for most of my c25k training, it is available for both android and iPhone. Recently, I've switched to RunDouble [2], but it is only available on android. I prefer it because it integrates music, GPS mapping and prompts on when to run or walk. With the c25k Pro, I used either MyTracks or MapMyFitness to get the GPS tracking part, but those didn't exclude the warm up/cool down from the pace calculations. RunDouble provides pace and distance information with and without the cool down/warm up periods. This appeals greatly to my geeky/tinkerer nature. I also started logging my runs on a spreadsheet in Google Docs, so I can see long term trends and just tinker with the numbers, for fun, you know.

              [1] https://www.google.com/search?q=c25k+pro+app
              [2] http://www.rundouble.com/
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

              Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

              Comment

              • bluegoose
                7th round draft pick
                • Nov 2008
                • 4121

                #1162
                Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...comm_ref=false

                Wow. You know, cuz a 4+ hour marathon is pretty much the same thing.

                So stupid. Like someone's not going to check that?
                Calculate your Paul Ryan marathon time!

                Me, you ask? I ran a 2:47:27 at St George a few years ago.

                Not bad for a guy more interested in carbo-loading than interval training.

                Comment

                • PaloAltoCougar
                  Semper infra dignitatem
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 16935

                  #1163
                  Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  Calculate your Paul Ryan marathon time!

                  Me, you ask? I ran a 2:47:27 at St George a few years ago.

                  Not bad for a guy more interested in carbo-loading than interval training.
                  I'm pleased I completed the Disneyland Half in just over 90 minutes.

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #1164
                    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    I'm pleased I completed the Disneyland Half in just over 90 minutes.
                    BQ at Disney World last year!
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • FMCoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6825

                      #1165
                      Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                      Couch to 5k started today.

                      I ran for the first time in my life tonight for no reason at all. HS sports don't count.

                      5 minute walk, 6 one minute runs (broken up between 90 second walks), followed by a 5 minute cool down.

                      I ran 4 of the one minute runs completely. One of them for 45 seconds and one for 30 seconds. When you are fat and are gasping for air...you just have to walk.

                      We shall see what we shall see. Thursday is the next run.

                      Weighed in at 368 this morning. Downhill here I come.
                      I'm feeling a miniscule urge to join you ... how do I fight it off?

                      Seriously, I have thought about doing this.

                      Question though for the runner types. I'm not thinking starting this where I live would be a good idea. My town is has "hills" in the name for good reason. Can one just show up at a HS track and use it? Or should I go to a gym with a track? Yes I know these questions show exactly how much of a non-athlete I am.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                      Comment

                      • Pheidippides
                        Liberal Feminazi
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14759

                        #1166
                        Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                        I'm feeling a miniscule urge to join you ... how do I fight it off?

                        Seriously, I have thought about doing this.

                        Question though for the runner types. I'm not thinking starting this where I live would be a good idea. My town is has "hills" in the name for good reason. Can one just show up at a HS track and use it? Or should I go to a gym with a track? Yes I know these questions show exactly how much of a non-athlete I am.
                        Usually, you can show up and just use the track if it's not in use - at least here. I use both the nearby middle school and HS tracks. Tracks are easier on the joints as you get started, as are (generally speaking) treadmills.

                        I started on a treadmill, mostly. I didn't get into outdoor running until I was doing five or so on the treadmill. There was an adjustment when I hit the pavement - it is definitely harder - but it worked fine.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                        Comment

                        • FMCoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6825

                          #1167
                          Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          Usually, you can show up and just use the track if it's not in use - at least here. I use both the nearby middle school and HS tracks. Tracks are easier on the joints as you get started, as are (generally speaking) treadmills.

                          I started on a treadmill, mostly. I didn't get into outdoor running until I was doing five or so on the treadmill. There was an adjustment when I hit the pavement - it is definitely harder - but it worked fine.
                          Given my foot and knee issues, that is a consideration. The one thing I have found about treadmills is that it is too easy to quit. I guess a track could be similar (within a few hundred yards anyway).

                          Tick what are you doing?
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                          Comment

                          • The_Tick
                            Made something of myself
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7291

                            #1168
                            Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                            Given my foot and knee issues, that is a consideration. The one thing I have found about treadmills is that it is too easy to quit. I guess a track could be similar (within a few hundred yards anyway).

                            Tick what are you doing?
                            My neighborhood is all flat. So I am doing it in the area, and inside a local park with a nice sidewalk.

                            Our HS here are all fenced in, and locked once school is out. So you can't use the track at all.

                            Comment

                            • Pheidippides
                              Liberal Feminazi
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14759

                              #1169
                              I had foot, knee and back issues too. Take it easy, but you'll find many of those problems go away as weight declines and running experience goes up.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                              Comment

                              • kccougar
                                9262
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7020

                                #1170
                                Tracks I've been around have always been open to the public and often used by local residents for walking/running.
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                                Comment

                                Working...