The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dwight Schr-ute
    Members Only
    • May 2011
    • 4917

    #1141
    Speaking of The Paul Ryan claim, anyone see this recent New Yorker piece? A fun and interesting read. http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/201...fa_fact_singer
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

    Comment

    • OhioBlue
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 1129

      #1142
      Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
      Speaking of The Paul Ryan claim, anyone see this recent New Yorker piece? A fun and interesting read. http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/201...fa_fact_singer
      Wow what a fascinating story...just gets deeper and deeper. I'm hoping at some point someone somewhere figures out exactly how he did it. Thanks for the link.

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #1143
        Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
        Wow what a fascinating story...just gets deeper and deeper. I'm hoping at some point someone somewhere figures out exactly how he did it. Thanks for the link.
        Gotta be a bike, but after that you got me.

        Fantastic story.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • Joe Public
          8.1 YPC
          • Apr 2011
          • 8524

          #1144
          Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          Officially - 2:07:04
          13.1 - 2:06:17
          Are you showing gun and chip time, or did your watch show the course as being longer than 13.1 miles? My watch showed the course as 13.24 miles, and I wonder how that compares to your information.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

          "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

          Comment

          • OhioBlue
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 1129

            #1145
            Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
            Are you showing gun and chip time, or did your watch show the course as being longer than 13.1 miles? My watch showed the course as 13.24 miles, and I wonder how that compares to your information.
            Gotta always remember that official road races are measured as essentially the shortest route through the course. Unless you run on that line for the whole race (which unless you're in the lead is virtually impossible), you'll end up running a bit longer distance.

            Comment

            • The_Tick
              Made something of myself
              • Nov 2008
              • 7292

              #1146
              Couch to 5k started today.

              I ran for the first time in my life tonight for no reason at all. HS sports don't count.

              5 minute walk, 6 one minute runs (broken up between 90 second walks), followed by a 5 minute cool down.

              I ran 4 of the one minute runs completely. One of them for 45 seconds and one for 30 seconds. When you are fat and are gasping for air...you just have to walk.

              We shall see what we shall see. Thursday is the next run.

              Weighed in at 368 this morning. Downhill here I come.

              Comment

              • The_Douger
                Athletic Supporter
                • Jun 2012
                • 5413

                #1147
                Good for you, I started out at 338.

                Down to 278. Running a half this Saturday.
                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                Comment

                • lambdacoug
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 3981

                  #1148
                  Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                  Couch to 5k started today.

                  I ran for the first time in my life tonight for no reason at all. HS sports don't count.

                  5 minute walk, 6 one minute runs (broken up between 90 second walks), followed by a 5 minute cool down.

                  I ran 4 of the one minute runs completely. One of them for 45 seconds and one for 30 seconds. When you are fat and are gasping for air...you just have to walk.

                  We shall see what we shall see. Thursday is the next run.

                  Weighed in at 368 this morning. Downhill here I come.


                  I'm a recent c25k "graduate". I'm running in my third 5k, of my life and summer, this weekend. Take it slow, and at your own pace. I ran to finish the segment, rather than running for speed. I still do, at some point that will change probably. Anyway, stick to it! I've lost a good 20-30 pounds since starting c25k back in early June (I'm down to 207, a year ago I was at 271). Good luck!
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

                  Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                  Comment

                  • Moliere
                    One man.....one pie
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 27877

                    #1149
                    Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    Couch to 5k started today.

                    I ran for the first time in my life tonight for no reason at all. HS sports don't count.

                    5 minute walk, 6 one minute runs (broken up between 90 second walks), followed by a 5 minute cool down.

                    I ran 4 of the one minute runs completely. One of them for 45 seconds and one for 30 seconds. When you are fat and are gasping for air...you just have to walk.

                    We shall see what we shall see. Thursday is the next run.

                    Weighed in at 368 this morning. Downhill here I come.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                    Comment

                    • PaloAltoCougar
                      Semper infra dignitatem
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 16936

                      #1150
                      Excellent, Tick. The next 3-4 weeks will be the hardest as you put some initially difficult but life-altering changes in place, but they'll be worth it.

                      With all the new leaves being turned around here, I may be helping to organize CUF Runs instead of golf outings and rides in the years ahead. Actually, perhaps all three.

                      Comment

                      • Coach McGuirk
                        1
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12109

                        #1151
                        Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        Are you showing gun and chip time, or did your watch show the course as being longer than 13.1 miles? My watch showed the course as 13.24 miles, and I wonder how that compares to your information.
                        The official time is my chip time and the 13.1 was my garmin time for a half. By the finish line, my garmin was at 13.22 miles. I really wanted under 2 hours, but I just didn't have it in me that day.

                        Wish I would have known you were coming, would have said hi at the start. Sounds like you had a really good time.

                        I get a month reprieve, where I will bike mostly and then on to training for the full at wdw. Ugh.

                        Comment

                        • Pheidippides
                          Liberal Feminazi
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14759

                          #1152
                          Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          Couch to 5k started today.

                          I ran for the first time in my life tonight for no reason at all. HS sports don't count.

                          5 minute walk, 6 one minute runs (broken up between 90 second walks), followed by a 5 minute cool down.

                          I ran 4 of the one minute runs completely. One of them for 45 seconds and one for 30 seconds. When you are fat and are gasping for air...you just have to walk.

                          We shall see what we shall see. Thursday is the next run.

                          Weighed in at 368 this morning. Downhill here I come.
                          Nice job! The key is consistency. Some
                          days are going to be bad, especially at first. Many will be hard. You may get discouraged. That's fine. Just keep getting out there, and one day you will find yourself running further or faster than you have before and feeling great about it. And you will lose ten pounds and say to yourself, "ten pounds is not water weight! That's real!". And then you will be unstoppable.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                          Comment

                          • lambdacoug
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 3981

                            #1153
                            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            Nice job! The key is consistency. Some
                            days are going to be bad, especially at first. Many will be hard. You may get discouraged. That's fine. Just keep getting out there, and one day you will find yourself running further or faster than you have before and feeling great about it. And you will lose ten pounds and say to yourself, "ten pounds is not water weight! That's real!". And then you will be unstoppable.
                            I've had a string of bad days, and was starting to get a bit discouraged. Then last night I ran a 5k in preparation for the 5k this weekend. I purposely started slow (trying this negative split thing you've mentioned earlier), around a 13:00/mile. By the second mile mark I was down to 13:24/mile, and a bit disappointed. However, I physically felt good, so I decided I'd push it hard. I finished the 3.11 miles at 12:40/mile average with a 10:00/mile for the last 1/2 mile. It felt really good.
                            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                            - Howard Aiken

                            Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                            Comment

                            • Pheidippides
                              Liberal Feminazi
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14759

                              #1154
                              Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                              I've had a string of bad days, and was starting to get a bit discouraged. Then last night I ran a 5k in preparation for the 5k this weekend. I purposely started slow (trying this negative split thing you've mentioned earlier), around a 13:00/mile. By the second mile mark I was down to 13:24/mile, and a bit disappointed. However, I physically felt good, so I decided I'd push it hard. I finished the 3.11 miles at 12:40/mile average with a 10:00/mile for the last 1/2 mile. It felt really good.
                              Losing weight and getting healthy (not the same thing) are both about learning about the body you live in and how it works. About finding your mental and physical limits and then pushing them. About becoming sensitive to how what you intake affects your physical output. About spending time alone in your head atoning for your physical sins - gluttony and sloth were mine. About making the connection between mind and body, willpower and desire, moderation and indulgence.

                              Sometimes I look back at what I started three and a half years ago (seriously, that's how long I've been doing this; what a difference a couple of years makes!) and laugh at how little I knew about what I was getting into. I also look at how much happier I am now.

                              The actual numbers for all of us are different - weight to lose, mile times, etc. Preferred exercise, goals, are different as well. But please keep moving the direction you are. I can't promise it will be easy. It will probably be hard, and that you'll have bad days and you'll fail now and again. But if you pick yourself up on those days and try again tomorrow, I can promise the end result is worth it.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                              Comment

                              • The_Tick
                                Made something of myself
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7292

                                #1155
                                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                                Nice job! The key is consistency. Some
                                days are going to be bad, especially at first. Many will be hard. You may get discouraged. That's fine. Just keep getting out there, and one day you will find yourself running further or faster than you have before and feeling great about it. And you will lose ten pounds and say to yourself, "ten pounds is not water weight! That's real!". And then you will be unstoppable.
                                What I was doing last night I wouldn't even quantify as running. I would call it "jogging motion in extremely short strides".

                                Probably jogging slightly faster than I walk briskly. But I was sweating like a stuck pick, and breathing like I was outrunning a bear.

                                It will be good.

                                TK2 is joining me on Thursday.

                                Comment

                                Working...