The Church

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #61
    Let me add my two cents to this discussion, albeit late.

    1. I believe (and I am supported in my believe by two prominent BYU religion professors, whose names I will not public disclose but will consider giving privately) that the "Restoration", as we call it, was not a past event but an ongoing process. In other words, when you try to download an entire theology through a guy who has a penchant for treasure hunting with magic stick and looking at rocks in his hat, there are bound to be more than a few speed bumps along the way.

    (Same religion professors, by the way, or at least one of them, explicitly do not believe in the Celestial/Terrestial/Telestial division).

    2. We do not (or at least I do not) believe in the doctrine of infallibility. Therefore, I have absolutely no problem stating that I think that the blacks-and-the-priesthood issue, for example, is the result of a racist Brigham Young, largely, and that the institutional mechanisms of the Church are such that the policy would not be changed until a consensus was reached - despite the efforts of David O. McKay. That is my honest belief.

    3. I believe that true religion is about taking care of widows and orphans and such, so I really don't care what you believe as long as you serve in such a manner. Landpoke can come to EQ and spout off all he wants about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I don't care if his actions are good.

    In like manner, I think the only requirement to come to church is that you don't smoke inside the building.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #62
      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      The one idea I can credit this thread for having provoked is that a lot of the creative explanations that are developed to make things "fit together" make God seem very strange and arbitrary if you focus on them long.
      Would you agree with me that we often hear faith promoting experiences in chruch that does the same thing. Creative explanations that are developed to make things "fit together".

      Comment

      • FMCoug
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 6825

        #63
        Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
        In my opinion, the Gospel and the Church are VASTLY different entities. This is why you will never hear me claim that I know the church is true. In fact, I cringe just a bit whenever I hear members say it while sharing their testimonies. Personally, I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true, and I also know that the church is God's vehicle for spreading and administering the gospel on the earth, but the church is not the gospel, and it certainly has some issues that are difficult for me to accept and/or understand.

        A+++++! (apologies to wuap for the hack)
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #64
          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          Good thread Johnny. I would have never thought you could start a thread that would last more than 1 page. I helped because of all of my posts, but hopefully that doesn't lessen your accomplishment. Not only that, but it is two pages long and no one has referred to you yet as a dumb ass.

          Bravo my man, bravo.
          Thank you, thank you. As you mentioned, I never could have done it without you.

          Originally posted by niku
          2. We do not (or at least I do not) believe in the doctrine of infallibility. Therefore, I have absolutely no problem stating that I think that the blacks-and-the-priesthood issue, for example, is the result of a racist Brigham Young, largely, and that the institutional mechanisms of the Church are such that the policy would not be changed until a consensus was reached - despite the efforts of David O. McKay. That is my honest belief.
          Does this then extend to "it doesn't matter what the Church's leaders do, I will stay a member forever"?

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #65
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Not only that, but it is two pages long and no one has referred to you yet as a dumb ass.
            I've been at the jicking pool all day.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • JohnnyLingo
              La Naranja
              • Nov 2008
              • 3976

              #66
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I've been at the jicking pool all day.
              You kidder, you. I can't stay mad at you as long as you have the Lego avatar. I loved Legos when I was a kid... space ones, especially.

              Comment

              • byu71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22070

                #67
                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                Let me add my two cents to this discussion, albeit late.

                1. I believe (and I am supported in my believe by two prominent BYU religion professors, whose names I will not public disclose but will consider giving privately) that the "Restoration", as we call it, was not a past event but an ongoing process. In other words, when you try to download an entire theology through a guy who has a penchant for treasure hunting with magic stick and looking at rocks in his hat, there are bound to be more than a few speed bumps along the way.

                (Same religion professors, by the way, or at least one of them, explicitly do not believe in the Celestial/Terrestial/Telestial division).

                2. We do not (or at least I do not) believe in the doctrine of infallibility. Therefore, I have absolutely no problem stating that I think that the blacks-and-the-priesthood issue, for example, is the result of a racist Brigham Young, largely, and that the institutional mechanisms of the Church are such that the policy would not be changed until a consensus was reached - despite the efforts of David O. McKay. That is my honest belief.

                3. I believe that true religion is about taking care of widows and orphans and such, so I really don't care what you believe as long as you serve in such a manner. Landpoke can come to EQ and spout off all he wants about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I don't care if his actions are good.

                In like manner, I think the only requirement to come to church is that you don't smoke inside the building.
                Let me ask you this and it may help me with the problem I have with calling Brigham Young and other leaders racists.

                For instance, do you consider George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, et. al. racists.

                Comment

                • KillerDog
                  a.k.a. K-dog
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 4196

                  #68
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  I got it from the thread starter:



                  Unlike you (apparently) I have stuck to the call of the question. All my posts in this thread have addressed Lingo's premise (unlike some here, I don't just say, "I reject your premise so I won't respond"; if I reject the premise I do the thread starter the courtesy of addressing it). If you would discipline your argument we wouldn't talk past one another.

                  So we agree? One true church is archaic, a form of tribalism and a type of bigotry?
                  Fair enough, it seems to be the core concept of the thread so I will go with you.

                  I think the concept of "one true church" is definitely a type of bigotry and tribalism but I don't think that necessarily precludes it from being the truth. I also think defining something as archaic is pointless. Just because something is old does not make it bad.

                  Comment

                  • UtahDan
                    *
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14496

                    #69
                    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    Would you agree with me that we often hear faith promoting experiences in chruch that does the same thing. Creative explanations that are developed to make things "fit together".
                    Yeah and I don't fault people for doing it. I've just stopped trying to make certain things fit together. I'm comfortable with ambiguity given the alternatives.

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #70
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      Let me ask you this and it may help me with the problem I have with calling Brigham Young and other leaders racists.

                      For instance, do you consider George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, et. al. racists.
                      is this a serious question? they owned slaves.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • UtahDan
                        *
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14496

                        #71
                        Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                        Fair enough, it seems to be the core concept of the thread so I will go with you.

                        I think the concept of "one true church" is definitely a type of bigotry and tribalism but I don't think that necessarily precludes it from being the truth. I also think defining something as archaic is pointless. Just because something is old does not make it bad.
                        Woo hoo! Hear that '71?

                        Comment

                        • byu71
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22070

                          #72
                          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          Yeah and I don't fault people for doing it. I've just stopped trying to make certain things fit together. I'm comfortable with ambiguity given the alternatives.
                          Me too. I don't feel the need to explain everything.

                          Comment

                          • FMCoug
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 6825

                            #73
                            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Let me ask you this and it may help me with the problem I have with calling Brigham Young and other leaders racists.

                            For instance, do you consider George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, et. al. racists.
                            By modern definitions I'd say you have to. But isn't this true of all history? Civilization is a process. I'm sure there are things we do now that are considered the norm that our descendants will look back on in disgust.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                            Comment

                            • byu71
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22070

                              #74
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              is this a serious question? they owned slaves.
                              I don't need your opinion if you don't want to give it.

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #75
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                I don't need your opinion if you don't want to give it.
                                well, it is fair to say that anyone that owned slaves and had alleged forced conjugal visits with them are probably tinged a bit by racism, yes.

                                I will go all in and say "yes." Slave owners are de facto racists.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...